Author Topic: 304 Very Confused.. I have some questions  (Read 4104 times)

304 Very Confused.. I have some questions
Hi guys. Awesome mod.

I'm having a bear of a time getting this to work. I think I'm doing something wrong? Or a setting is messed up? Or I'm just stupid? Compatibility mode? I've honestly searched the forums for a faq or the readme for any info, but I just cant find it.

So I have windows 7 x64 and the MS C++ software installed. I downloaded and installed version MCO 304 all by itself with no other conflicting mcx programs on my hd. 100% clean install from the link on this site. Do I need to install it on top of old versions?

I really wanted to play the carver 5 campaign with new mechs but it keeps crashing. I downloaded magic's carver 5 campaign file from moddb and installed it in the same directory as MCO. I tried to start a campaign but it instantly crashed as soon as the resolution changed from the menu's to the in-game one. Is the regular carver 5 campaign fixed with Magic's added mechs? Does 304 just have the fully modded campaign built in and I dont need to install it? I see "carver 5" in the list of campaigns.

Speaking of which, looking under options, I cant see any custom resolutions. I have a geforce gtx670 with the latest March drivers and one monitor hooked up. Looking under the resolutions, just lists the vanilla 640, 800, 1020, 1280 4:3 resolutions. My desktop is 1600x900. What gives?

Also on the various moddb screenshots I've seen several different mechs, like the sunder, stalker, firefly etc. I looked in the MCO encyclopedia under mechs and also under vehicles and I even went through the instant action mech lists but I dont see any of those. Is my computer freaking out because Im missing files from somewhere?

Thanks..

Offline magic

Re: 304 Very Confused.. I have some questions
Hi bertbargo,

Thank you for downloading MCO.
MCO is compatible with Windows 7 x64. It works fine, no need for compatibility mode.

Here is what you should do:
1. Install MCO 304 to a new folder: c:/MechCommanderOmnitech or d:/MechCommanderOmnitech...
2. Download and install MS VC++ 2010 (x86) redistributable.
3. Download any campaigns and install in the same folder.
4. Double click the link. (or right click and select "Run as administrator").

Dont change resolutions in options folder.

Dont run encyclopedia, its from old MC2 and is not compatible with MCO. I will remove it from the next release.

Hi Magic I'm having new problems. I guess I was playing 276 or something instead of the most up to date version instead, but is there any way to change the game's resolutions? I play 1600x900 and the bottom of the screen is cut off and I can't navigate the menus.

Offline magic

1600x900 ?

My monitor is at 1600x900 resolution. The game's screen gets cut off.

Is it possible to change MCO's resolution?

Your resolution is unusual and not implemented into the original MC2 nor any existing mod.
While MCO selects the best fit from in MCO implemented resolutions to resolutions supported by your machine it can not support 1600X900; I recommend you try try 1440x900 on your PC if you can. The supported resolution for 1600 screenwidth is 1200 as screenheights  :yes:

(Note this same post was made on MCO version 304, but I figured this topic was more recent and would get noticed.)
New here to the site but have been playing MCO on my PC for a while without any serious problems. However I recently cleaned out my computer removing MCO. I downloaded 304 and went to play but appear to have resolution issues. If I change my screen resolution I can finally navigate the main menu but upon attempting to launch the mission I either crash or I am able to get in with severe HUD issues as well as a zoomed in screen. Searching the forum I found in 240 two characters that had the same issue and the patch given to them appears to have been deleted by a "bastard".

Offline ThorC

People who moderate the site delete old photo's and files that are attached to post to save space. "Bastard" is probably one of the moderators. I've had pics and attachments deleted by "Ninja" before. I had the same menu problem where only 1/4 of the screen was showing but that was before version 304, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? When you uninstall the game delete the Mechcommander omnitech folder that is left with all your game data after the uninstall.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:14:07 pm by ThorC »

Offline ThorC

Magic made this when I was doing screen resolution test and ran into some bugs. This is what fixed the menu for me, try it and see if it works for you.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

I am now successfully able to see the main screen and launch the game, however the hud layout is out of whack and very "crunched" together with elements overlapping one another.  :confused:

Offline ThorC

You will have to wait for Magic's help on this, I have no idea what Im doing when it comes to coding. What resolution are you using? I would suggest trying diffrent resolutions to see which ones work.

Offline magic

What is your desktop resolution?

640x480 resolution is no longer supported.
Supported resolutions are:
- 800x600,
- 1024x768,
- 1280x1024,
- 1366x768,
- 1440x900,
- 1600x1200,
- 1680x1060,
- 1920x1080.

Even if your desktop resolution is not one of those game should find closest supported resolution.
Try to set your desktop resolution to one of the above and see?

I'm actually using the 1366x768.
Would screenshots help identify the problem?

Offline magic

I'm actually using the 1366x768.
Would screenshots help identify the problem?

Yes

I got it working by going into the options and changing resolution in there from 1366x768x32 to 1366x768x16.
Hope this helps for anyone with future problems. Thanks magic and ThorC for assisting me.