Author Topic: The Great Darkness & My Thirst for Knowledge  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: The Great Darkness & My Thirst for Knowledge
Maybe it makes it scarier. Sure, your ship's rear camera picks up nothing, but when you think you're alright and you turn around, BAM.

False sense of security strikes again!
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
redsniper's comment isn't wrong, it is unbound beneath eternity.

****ing A. I love all these neologisms in Act 3. Though according to some posts around here, mixing Latin and Greek is a linguistic faux pas, but who cares it sounds awesome. :pimp:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Something about Universal Truth has stuck with me ever since playing it. Something I could not describe. Until now.

I've come to realize something: Universal Truth felt like a grasp at knowledge that I could never have. If I were to interpret the mission, then the Great Darkness would be the impossibility of learning everything. [...] I seek constantly to rationalize it, yet every time I make a theory, I find a flaw, the walls shatter and the beast gets in my mind again. For a long time I lacked the capacity to understand the concept, then I realized that was the point; it was to force me to think about it, to give into a basic human desire for information. The Darkness is a worm, it borrows into your mind the moment you learn of it and stays there forever.

Additionally, there's the Shivan Nodes. Once I try to learn their raison d'ĂȘtre, they close me out; denying a fill to a gap I've had since the first time I played FreeSpace, again.

To me personally, that is one of the scariest concepts that I can think of. It's also a fitting evil to confront even civilizations that seem godlike to us, because it undermines the fundamental principle of cultural life and civilization: understanding the world and being able to change it with that understanding. And it's very befitting of an enemy that you confront inside your mind as well. If there won't be an official explanation of the Great Darkness to keep suspense and wonder maximized, I think this will be my favorite theory