Author Topic: Crash on Ravanas destruction  (Read 1240 times)

Crash on Ravanas destruction
Hi there,

I am experiencing a rather unusual, but almost always reprotuctible crash during the BP AoA missions. I haven't managed to find any similar threads concerning this particular case. But if this was already covered, then please direct me at the correct place to look.

The case is, that (almost) each time a Ravana class ship is going down the program crashes. I've encountered it in various missions where Ravanas are present, like Preserving the balance or Keepers of Hell.
Whenever the Ravana
 - is about to be destroyed (0%)
 - is currently exploding
 - is in the being-mop-up stage (debris being shot by beams)
I can expect a crash. However, if I look another way and not have any of these events in the field of view the crash does not occur (this actually became my way of dealing with the crash). Oddly enough, no other ship class is giving me such a headache.

Can someone offer any advice?

I am attaching three debug logs from the Keepers of Hell mission (nightly build 9677). One when the crash was caught with an assertion, one when it wasn't and one when I actually successfully observed Ravana being destroyed.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Yarn

Re: Crash on Ravanas destruction
Code: [Select]
  -spec
  -glow
  -env
Deprecated flag '-spec' found. Please remove from your cmdline.
Deprecated flag '-glow' found. Please remove from your cmdline.
Deprecated flag '-env' found. Please remove from your cmdline.
As these lines say, you should remove these flags from your command line.

-mipmap
Remove this one too. It's called "Enable mipmapping" in the launcher.

Found root pack 'D:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a
Found root pack 'D:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_AnimGlows.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a554026
Found root pack 'D:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0x529cc70f
Found root pack 'D:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xb9a9a485
Found root pack 'D:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Music.vp' with a checksum of 0xb3e21469
Found root pack 'D:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Root.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ffd5c78
You're missing the three update files. Get them here.

You should also make sure that you're using the latest nightly build.

If none of this works, then you may have found another instance of this bug, which is not currently fixed.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Re: Crash on Ravanas destruction
Hi Yarn,

thanks for taking the time to look into the issue.

I did what you suggested:
 - removed the four flags (-spec, -glow, -env, -mipmap) from cmdline
 - added three update files (MV_Assets.3612.vp, MV_Effects.3612.vp, MV_Root.3612.vp)
 - used nightly build 9693

The bug still persists. I am attaching the log just in case, but besides the above points I think there are no significant differences.

I'll wait till the bug you mentioned gets fixed then.

[attachment deleted by ninja]