Author Topic: Eterium (another new space sim?)  (Read 1984 times)

Re: Eterium (another new space sim?)
Is the in-game/demo music anywhere near as oh-****-no as the trailer's? Cause... damn.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Lorric

Is the in-game/demo music anywhere near as oh-****-no as the trailer's? Cause... damn.

You thought it too, huh? I would think you would choose one of your prime tracks for a trailer, so that doesn't bode well... I hate the noise when the ships jump in too.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

You thought it too, huh? I would think you would choose one of your prime tracks for a trailer, so that doesn't bode well... I hate the noise when the ships jump in too.
I think that may be the most annoying "ship jumping in" sound effect I have ever heard. In fact, that whole trailer seems to be overall lacking in the audio department. I know it's "pre-alpha", but still...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yeah I dunno what that was about. The sound made me frown big time too.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Only two people working on it though, is it an entirely new engine? Cos for a few seconds at the start I felt like I was in an FSO mod.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Getting WCS vibes from it. And not in the good way. This could be nice if it had shown something that FSO doesn't have. But as it stands, meh.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Getting WCS vibes from it. And not in the good way. This could be nice if it had shown something that FSO doesn't have. But as it stands, meh.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Ship design/implementation is a little simplistic for my tastes. Their website says that they had spec mapping, but removed for everything bar the big, intrusive (always on?) 3d cockpits. Plus the cartoon characters... I get that that's an artistic decision, but it's not one I'd've made.

Maybe I'm spoiled by FSO, but this doesn't really appeal to me, I've got to admit. Good to see more space sins of any flavour though.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline iVoid

Call me crazy but I kinda like it lol Anywayz, the game seems decent but I can't tell if I'll like it or not...

I dl'd the demo on a whim and it's not a vibe, it is WCS. Same mouse controls (that I-really-hated-it default setup), briefing render looked straight out of that mod and the mission was the same 'fly these waypoints with your wingman using autopilot to traverse between them after launching from the carrier (hell, I think the camera angle on the autopilot sequence is the same, even, though they're short, rather than 20s pan-shots), astoundingly, enemy fighters will be present at each waypoint'. Flight and combat is the same, etc etc. Speeds and distances aren't whatver-the-WCS-team did to fake them... but that's the only real difference I noticed.

Dunno about the sound effects, b/c the trailer-music was still there so I was like 'hael no, mute, itunes go'

Edit: **** line-editing. 'It is WCS' intended in the same manner as 'Manshooter A is Manshooter B', even though different engine/code/effects/whatever.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:59:13 pm by Suongadon »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
So they're charging for use of FSO autopilot flyby code etc? A quick look to see if they use a vp format should.suffice to prove it.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

So they're charging for use of FSO autopilot flyby code etc? A quick look to see if they use a vp format should.suffice to prove it.

Wat?

oooooh. I gets it. Not that. Clone, not sneak-thiefery. *goes to edit a couple words for clarity-like*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:52:51 pm by Suongadon »