Author Topic: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade  (Read 63030 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Let's Play... BattleTech!
Very nice.  Something very minor: could I get those with transparent backgrounds and about half-size?  They'd fit together perfectly like that.

Conversion kits ordered so far:
Locust LCT-1V -> LCT-1E
Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 -> PXH-1D
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H -> SHD-2K
Grasshopper GHR-5H -> GHR-5N

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Everybody send their messages out now, HLP network seems a might twitchy out by that way...
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
A little bit of explanation, because I'm am not going to be screenshotting every few days of transit time when the transit time is almost a hundred days.  Conversion kits take at minimum a certain a mount of time equal to the time it would take to strip the parts that no longer belong on the 'mech and put on a new on in its place.  Then, after that amount of time, the tech team rolls to see if the conversion was completed on time.  For a regular tech, at this point in the timeline, the average roll for this is an 11+.  If they roll an 11 or 12, the conversion is finished, then and there.  If not, the conversion is extended an amount related to the margin of failure on the roll.  For example:

This one is going to take a bit longer.  That's not a problem, because we've got a looooong time before we're needed anywhere.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
*hauls out the toolbox of wrenches and elbow grease*

Although what's with the FRR in early 3050 being something that can't go wrong?

Mad Cats. Mad Cats everywhere.

Bah, only 3 entire Clusters worth, essentially an entire Galaxy, not an issue....
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Mad Cats. Mad Cats everywhere.

From what I know about those, that would imply the statements I've been reading were sarcastic "Nothing can go wrong here"
If it's otherwise, I'm still slightly confused

Unless they're your allies who are riding those... which is counter to what I read a moment ago with The Clans being the ones who possess them, not Draconis, the employer...
"No"

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The "Nothing can go wrong"s in this thread have been absolutely sarcastic.

Just picture fleets of JumpShips each loaded up with 2-4 DropShips a piece each carrying several lances of highly advanced Clan OmniMechs. Thule receives nearly a full third of Clan Ghost Bear's full force.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Tank tank tank got a new tank gonna tank

Absolutely OK with going to FRR and putting the hurt on everything. Gonna train on LRM launcher, gonna blast some missiles in some jerks.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
The "Nothing can go wrong"s in this thread have been absolutely sarcastic.

I hate choo :P
"No"

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
3049-03-05

Targeted recruitment: One Green Mechanic, one Veteran MechTech (finally)!  niffiwan gets his slot, because I forgot all about him until I had to hunt down the ranks again and saw his request).  The other guy doesn't get a cool callsign because nobody wants to be mechanics.

In repair news, our techs managed to get the Vindicators torso back together in some semblance of fixed, so now it's just missing the arm and some armor.  I could, technically, take it into the field right now if I had a pilot.

3049-03-12

Recruits: A 4/6 2-man vehicle crew seeks employment.  I have vehicle crewmen to spare right now, so I pass on the team.

There seems to be a bug with replacing the armor on this Vindicator.  It keeps saying that Mongoose is attempting to repair but continually running out of time, even though it's only 275 minutes.  I'll circumvent the problem by, as soon as the 'Mech is finished aside from that, GM-mode-ing it to fixed and adding it to the hangar.  After that, I won't have any projects aside from conversions to do.

The very next day, the Locust kit finished, leaving the Shadow Hawk conversion the only one still under active work in the repair bay.

And then I discovered the cause of the bug!  Somehow, and I have no real idea how I did this, I managed to get Mongoose working on both the armor replacement and the Locust conversion kit at the same time.  This division of labor made both take significantly longer than expected, but it's fixed now and I won't have to finagle my way around it.

3049-03-15

Finally fixed the right arm on that Vindicator after it took no less than fifteen attempts to put the arm back on.  Sergeant Gary “Niffiwan” Reyes gets credit for the repair.  I'm thinking this might be one of those instances worth a Red Light Award.  What do you guys think?

With that, the entire Vindicator gets fixed that very same day.  The Shadow Hawk conversion kit finishes the day after.  Now everybody gets to sit on their asses until we get to Thule.  It's going to be a long several months in transit.

3049-03-19

Recruits: 4/6 dispossessed MechWarrior.  Welcome aboard!

3049-03-26

Recruits: 4/6 dispossesed five person vehicle crew.  Still got some vehicle crew unused as is, gonna skip on these ones, too.  If they were better than 4/6, they'd have a chance.

3049-04-01

Market time!  Except not really.  Thanks to my rolls, there's not a single thing for sale right now.  Oh well.  Tomorrow hopefully we'll get a decent recruit.  I could really use an admin right now.

3049-04-02

Recruits: 5/6 Aerospace pilot?  I... what?  I didn't even think there was support for aero stuff.  Huh.  Shows me.  He actually comes with his own craft, too!  When somebody shows up with their own vehicle, I have to pay half price in order to bring them on board, so it can be risky, but with a Light fighter it shouldn't bee too bad.  He brings a Sparrowhawk SPR-H5 to the table, and I gotta say I want it.

It's getting late, and I have stuff to do tomorrow morning, so I'll leave off with this for now.  The Hard Light Brigade now has some rudimentary organic aerospace assets, though, so I look forward to making house rules to actually use them!

I have a strong feeling that I'm going to be getting a lot people heading into my morgue and/or facility on that PA
Although what's with the FRR in early 3050 being something that can't go wrong?

Play Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries FFS :P

Also, I'd like to sign up for this as well, as Joshua Holstein (recruit, has no callsign yet). I'd prefer a mech (obviously :P), although I have absolutely no problems with any other combat role.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:32:44 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Personal log, addendum:

Our illustrious captain managed to assign me to both the Vindicator patch job and the Locust conversion at the same time, and then had the audacity to wonder why the former wasn't completed on-schedule.  I proceeded to ask him if he was capable of pissing in two urinals at once without dribbling any on the floor, and he got the idea.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Patriot

Well..

You could customize our Wasps with something a little less explosive in them, say, add a medium laser? :D

Wouldn't want us scouts to get blown up thanks to an ammo hit now would we?
Oh and yes, this involves doing a custom job instead of picking a refit kit.

I have now customized a fair few mechs in my own campaign, gonna see if i can net myself a contract to fight against the clans, September 49 hurrhurr.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
3049-04-09

Recruits: A 4/7 dispossessed MechWarrior seeks employment.  With a piloting score like that, hell no.  I'm not in desperate need of a pilot to man the Vindicator anymore, so this guy can take a hike.  Maybe if I had an Urbanmech laying around?

3049-04-16

Recruits: A 4/6 Vehicle crew with a Hetzer seeks employment.  The Urban Renewal Box!  I'm short on cash, but if there's one thing that's awesome about Hetzers, it's that they are dirt cheap.  As in, I'd pay less than 350,000 to bring these guys on board, vehicle included.  At that point, I'd still have nearly 750,000 to get us where we're going, and that'll last a long way.  That does mean I won't be able to bring on any new crew that bring their own vehicles anyway, but I didn't even expect to get this lucky.  Welcome aboard!

Along with that comes some changes to the organization of the company in order to make it work.  In the intervening time I've filled the first lance up with 'Mechs, so these vehicles necessitate a change in the company.  I've switched people around some and made it fit by turning the 11th into a Heavy pure 'Mech lance, and the 13th into an augmented lance ala the Capellan Confederation with four vehicles and two 'Mechs, all medium weight save for the Brutus leading the formation.  Because it's six units instead of four, it's considered a Heavy lance, so they'll be facing some opposition when they get into the field, but with a Brutus, Vedette, two Hetzers, a Shadow Hawk, and a Vindicator, there's some solid firepower and armor in there, even if it's not very quick.

Here's how the roster looks right now:

11th Heavy Combat Lance "Daybreakers"
   Major Caden "Easy" Webb, 3/5, Awesome AWS-8Q (The_E)
   Lieutenant Andrew "Duck" Gibbs, 3/4, Grasshopper GHR-5H
   Master Sergeant Anders "Rapier" Bullman, 4/5, Awesome AWS-8Q (Dragon)
   Corporal Jean "Werewolf" Vidal, 4/6, Crab CRB-20 (Spardason21)

12th Light Scout Lance
   Captain Bowen "Polly" Borham, 2/5, Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Polpolion)
   Corporal Dereje "Esarai" bin Hassan, 6/5, Wasp WSP-1A (Esarai)
   Corporal Ian "Patriot" Fatin, 5/6, Wasp WSP-1A (Patriot)
   Corporal Richard "Night" Adeboro, 5/5, Locust LCT-1V (NGTM-1R)

13th Heavy Combat Lance
   Lieutenant Aaron "StarSlayer" Yi, 3/6, Brutus Gunner/Commander (StarSlayer)
      Corporal John "Scourge" Aherne, 3/6, Brutus Gunner (Scourge of Ages)
      Corporal Nancy Ma, 3/6, Brutus Gunner
      Corporal Kevin Huffman, 3/6, Brutus Gunner
      Corporal Cheng-gong Pak, 4/5, Brutus Driver
   Sergeant Allan "Toothless" Moore, 4/5, Vedette Commander/Gunner (Aesaar)
      Corporal Hanlon Turtle, 4/5, Vedette Gunner
      Corporal Monica Nasuton, 4/5, Vedette Gunner
      Corporal Mark "DJ" McMickan, 4/5, Vedette Driver (CommanderDJ)
   Sergeant Cliff "Dire" De, 4/6, Hetzer Gunner/Commander (DireWolf)
      Corporal Corey Lovegrove, 4/6, Hetzer Gunner
      Corporal Donna Lewis, 4/6, Hetzer Driver
   Corporal Esmail Osmani, 4/6, Hetzer Gunner/Commander
      Private Farraj bin Abu Bakr, 4/6, Hetzer Gunner
      Private Christian Pescaru, 4/6, Hetzer Driver
   Corporal Lage "Phantom" Duineveld, 6/5, Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (PhantomHoover)
   Corporal Alan "Mongo" Fisting, 4/6, Vindicator VND-1R (dsockwell)

2nd Aerospace Wing
Lieutenant Chris "Tophat" Valsan, 5/6, Sparrowhawk SPR-H5 (HerraTohtori)

Unassigned
Sergeant Dermott "Iron" Carver, 4/6 (IronBeer)
Corporal Zhong-xian Wang, 4/5

Naturally, this means I need somebody to be the vehicle commander for the second Hetzer.  Any volunteers?  Unfortunately, I'm not able to put IronBeer into it right now.  The Hetzer came with a crew, so I can't just kick them out and say "thanks for the ride, now take a hike".

3049-04-23

Recruits: a Jump Rifle Infantry platoon seeks employment.  Jump platoons are worth a lot in the non-combat portion of this ruleset.  To sum up, briefly, there are five different tasks that infantry can accomplish, depending on their skill and type.  By the letter of the rules, infantry can:

Patrol – add a civilian unit on my side.  Green if foot platoon, regular if motorized, and veteran if jump.  I can only get one per battle, and only one per week per platoon, meaning I have a maximum of three infantry platoons that can be deployed in this capacity.  Civilian vehicles, as you've seen, aren't exactly the best things ever, and I don't get any bonuses for keeping them alive through the battle, so essentially these are fodder units that I can use to distract the enemy until they die.  I don't use them much.

Field Drop – Can deploy in any mission where I'm attacking, including big battles and special events that aren't duels.  Due to the generally ineffective nature of infantry on the field, I don't use this much, either.  This is restricted to jump infantry, so I could actually use these infantry for this purpose.

Defense – Can deploy in any mission where I'm defending, including big battles and special events that aren't duels.  This one is significantly more useful, especially when I'm doing something like a base defense mission that I cannot lose.  Any platoon can be this, so this is where the platoon will likely end up if I don't house rule something.

Rescue – The single most useful infantry type in these rules, Rescue infantry is able to rescue a single MechWarrior who would have otherwise died in combat that week.  They come back with five hits and lose a random point of gunnery or piloting.  It's well worth it to keep MechWarriors on the roles.  According to the rules, these guys can only be motorized infantry, but I'm going to houserule it a little bit by allowing any kind of infantry.  In my houserule, foot infantry can rescue a single MechWarrior as mentioned above, motorized infantry can rescue a single MechWarrior or any dead from a single vehicle crew at the same penalty, and finally jump infantry can rescue either up to two MechWarriors or vehicle crews with the above penalties, or up to one MechWarrior or vehicle crew with no penalties (but still five hits).  All of that would still be per week, not per battle, so the number of people I'm still capable of losing is a fairly high number if everything goes sideways.  I'll also impose the limit of three platoons on Rescue duty, and only one can be active per battle.

Scout – The second most useful infantry type, Scouts change the type of battle to either the one above it or the one below it on the battles table.  This can be very useful, because it gives very good chances of getting Base Attacks, and removes the possibility of having to do a Base Defense unless I manage to roll that one twice or more in a single week, which isn't very likely.  Platoons have to have scout training, which is fairly hard to get a platoon with without training them myself.

There's also a training status that I can put infantry in where it costs 100,000 and several weeks to retrain them to a different weapon or a different motive type.  I can't do both at once.  Changing weapons is 1d6 weeks, and changing motive types is 2d6.

So that's infantry!  Now I'll be needing an Infantry officer to command the new detachment.  If there's more than one person who wants it, I'll fill out the squad and team leaders.  There are 21 guys in this platoon, so I highly doubt that I'll run out of people..

...Or not, my brother volunteered for infantry officer, so that's that.  Anyway, only one more week in April, so I'll get that done before I finish this post.

3049-04-30

Recruits: Green Admin!  Wooooo!  Not having more Admins has been really hurting the support side of things, most notably contract generation and recruitment.  The recruitment gets a -2 to everything determining quality and vehicles if I don't have an HR admin, and even a Green one lessens the penalty significantly.  This one is going to be an HR admin, so please welcome her to the staff.  If anybody wants to play her, be my guest and volunteer.

That's it for the month.  I'll open the next post with the market for the next month, if there is any, and we'll navigate our merry way through May.

Well..

You could customize our Wasps with something a little less explosive in them, say, add a medium laser? :D

Wouldn't want us scouts to get blown up thanks to an ammo hit now would we?
Oh and yes, this involves doing a custom job instead of picking a refit kit.

I have now customized a fair few mechs in my own campaign, gonna see if i can net myself a contract to fight against the clans, September 49 hurrhurr.

We'll see about that.  I'll see how much it would cost and how much time it would take, and decide from there.

Offline Patriot

Basically it would be the same process of a refit kit, except it takes a little longer(i think because the refit kit is easier to install or something)

But at least you can change the tech level to standard so you can mount Double Heat Sinks, Pulse Lasers, ER PPCs and whatever is available in 3049.
Currently upgrading my Banshee with a vast amount of weaponry, courtesy of an XL Engine(oh and lets not forget the extra armor i strapped on too)

We're D-rated mercs in 3049.  We have zero access to Star League tech unless we pull it from the charred wreckage of our enemies.  Which means we've got to get our asses to Thule, kick FRR butt to loot everything that's remotely salvagable, then run like frak away from Clan Ghost Bear when they show up next year.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's unlikely, but possible, we'll actually be in the Clan Wolf corridor or near enough the two of them will fight over it.

(wtb chance to kill Vlad and totally screw up the timeline)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
There are a few different ways this could go.  The contract we're heading to is on Thule, in the Free Rasalhague Republic.  We're being sponsored by a Veteran Combine force, so I'm calling them the 14th Legion of Vega based in one of the nearby systems.  The Clan Invasion visits Thule in the very beginning of March, 3050.  Our contract is up on March 7, 3050.  We'll have roughly a week of OH **** time to fight the Clans before the contract is up.

However, when the contract is up, that's when things could get really hairy.  Built into this ruleset is the previously-unknown emergency clause (I seriously had no idea about this until I really went digging) where, if the employer is in a state of war at the conclusion of the contract, they can invoke this clause.  There is a one in six chance (2 on 1d6) that the contract is changed immediately to Relief Duty and extended for another month, and a one in six chance (1 on 1d6) that the contract is changed immediately to Relief Duty and extended for again the length of the contract.  Both options involve a 20% bonus to the pay of the previous contract, and is recalculated based on my forces at the start of the emergency contract, not the original.  That said, there is a very real chance that we could be engaging the Clans for nine whole months in a series of fighting retreats from Thule to Wolcott, with no R&R period in between aside from single weeks in transit between battlefields.

On the refit side of things, I can outfit my Wasps with a trio of medium lasers, and the refit will take at least five days, which all things considered isn't too bad.  My techs have nothing better to do, and we're still over a month out, so why not?  Beginning the refits.  That said, when I started, the target numbers were 17+ for the majority of the Techs I could use.  This could take a while.  Still, nothing but time!

I'll have the next month up in an hour or so.