Author Topic: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade  (Read 63351 times)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade
Wait did I actually manage to survive BRAWL without taking a single hit from enemy fire?  That sounds almost too good to be true.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Excerpts from Audio Log recovered along with crew - 13th Combat Lance, Brutus Assault Tank. Timestamp: 12 June, 3049. Sub-Op: BRAWL

StarSlayer: They're in range. 13th, target the Prowler. Brutus, priority is the Urbie, take it out.
Scourge: Roger, firing.
[weapons discharge - LRM20 x3]
Scourge: Gunnery reports misses. Minor splash damage. Holy sheep, Stars, did you see that!?
StarSlayer: Was that Scorpion's Hetzer? Scorpion, StarSlayer, come in Hetzer 2! 13th, focus all firepower on that Prowler, I want it DEAD!
[comms] Scorpion: StarSlayer, Scorpion. We're hit and dead in the water. We're ok though, Farraj is a little banged up. Orders?
StarSlayer: Grab your hostile environment suits, and abandon the vehicle at your nearest opportunity.
[weapons discharge - LRM20 x3]
Scourge: Multiple hits on target, Prowler destr- AAAARGHHH! Hetzer 1 is hit! Looks like a fuel line!
StarSlayer: [redacted]! Hetzer 1, come in, Dire! [static] 3rd Jump, request extraction for crew of Hetzer 1. Repeat, engage NOW, extract crew, Hetzer 1.

*timeskip*

[damage received. See hit log for details and nature of damage]
Corporal Pak: Engine's out, sir. Nav and optics are down too.
[damage received]
Scourge: Crap it all, turret controls aren't responsive, manual turret crank is jammed. We're out.
StarSlayer: Anybody hurt?
Corporal Huffman: Ow. Think I broke something, I ca- OHGOD, Nancy! Oh mercy, she's still breathing. Pak, Aherne! Get the medkits!
StarSlayer: Polly, StarSlayer. Take command, we're blind here.

end excerpts

Offline Patriot

mother ****..

Esa is one lucky sonuva beetch. How the hell did we manage to get ANYTHING back without controlling the battlefield though? O.o

PERSONAL LOG

Ow.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
mother ****..

Esa is one lucky sonuva beetch. How the hell did we manage to get ANYTHING back without controlling the battlefield though? O.o

That's the part I'm pretty sure MekHQ bugged out on.  Normally you wouldn't get anything back, but it gave me a couple of the vehicles (the abandoned Hetzer, the Brutus [which is totally not supposed to happen, and which I'll probably be manually removing]) back at full repair, and at least one of the 'Mechs (Phantom's Shadow Hawk) that were technically still operable but not really in any condition to do much of anything at all.

I'm genuinely not sure what happened with that.  Because of that, I'll be deliberately not using anything I got back in such a fashion for at least a month, and probably end up removing the ones that I know were destroyed but came back for whatever reason.

So the Shadow Hawk is still a fusion reactor with a shell, even despite the bug?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger
fourth degree burns speak otherwise

Some more Nitrous Oxide please

(What kind of financial situation is the Brigade looking at with all of these repairs/scrappings?)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Personal Log, Anthony "Mongoose" Sato, June 12, 3049:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think we should consider investing in more medical personnel. I have a hunch we might need it.

Also, is it me or are our vehicles supremely unlucky, even by BT standards?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I think we should consider investing in more medical personnel. I have a hunch we might need it.

Also, is it me or are our vehicles supremely unlucky, even by BT standards?

I think you're correct on both counts.  I have never, in all my games, seen vehicles explode quite as readily as our tanks seem to be.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The fine showing of that Trebuchet only makes me covet it more.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Patriot

any news scotty?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Interim post coming up.  There's right around a 50-50 chance the next week won't have any battles, which would be an absolute godsend for the unit.  I'll update the TO&E as soon as I'm done with this week's stuff.  I don't actually remember if I still have to roll for special events this week, so that could be a major issue.

Expect something to be up by the end of the night, even if it's just a list of work orders and who's where on the roster.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Okay.  Once I realized what happened with the vehicles and 'Mechs that I should no longer have popping up in the hangar, I removed the ones that I feel like I legitimately should have lost and kept a couple that I know I could have saved, even under their own power in a couple instances.  Reasoning: If that Cicada in the first battle on Thule could get away with one leg and no gyro, my Shadow Hawk can get away while the fusion bottle is still technically intact.

Total losses from that little spate of (painful) conscience include the Brutus (ow), one of the Hetzers, the Vedette, and the Prowler I 'salvaged' for parts.  The other Hetzer I abandoned, as did I Night's Locust, so I'm saying that both of those were recovered while the pilots and crew were at the same time.

That leaves me with a total of: One infantry platoon, one aerospace fighter, one combat vehicle (which will still be out of action next week as penance), and a total of ten 'Mechs of varying sizes and damage.  Of those 'Mechs, the Locust and Shadow Hawk will be out of action for at least a week each, and the Shadow Hawk will be out for a month, due to the fact that it was literally a fusion engine and cockpit held together with a few spare rivets at the end of the engagement.

With all that in mind, the new TO&E for equipment is as follows:

11th Heavy Combat Lance "Daybreakers"
   Major Caden "Easy" Webb, Awesome AWS-8Q, 3/5 (The_E)
   Master Sergeant Anders "Rapier" Bullman, Awesome AWS-8Q, 4/4 (Dragon)
   Corporal Jean "Werewolf" Vidal, Crab CRB-20, 4/6 (SpardaSon21)
   Corporal Richard "Night" Adeboro, Locust LCT-1E, 5/6 (NGTM-1R)

12th Medium Combat Lance
   Captain Bowen "Polly" Borham, Phoenix Hawk PXH-1D, 2/5 (Polpolion)
   Lieutenant Andrew "Duck" Gibbs, Grasshopper GHR-5N, 3/4
   Corporal Alan "Bongo" Fisting, Vindicator VND-1R, 4/6 (dsockwell)
   Corporal Dereje bin Hassan, Wasp WSP-1M, 6/5 (Esarai)

2nd Light Aerospace Wing
   Lieutenant Chris "Tophat" Valsan, Sparrowhawk SPR-H5 (HerraTohtori)

3rd Jump Infantry Company
   Lieutenant Rostislav "Soos" Kalakay, 4

Unassigned
   Coporal Ian "Patriot" Fatin, Wasp WSP-1M, 5/6 (Patriot)
   Everybody who was in a vehicle.

All techs have stayed the same.

After the realization that Hard Light Brigade vehicles are terrible, unlucky fire magnets, I have decided to refit the Hetzer we still have to an artillery support vehicle.  The AC/20 is gone, replaced instead by a Thumper field artillery piece and a few tons of ammo for it.  As soon as that modification is complete, the Artillery Hetzer will immediately begin supporting Brigade assets in a close artillery support function.  And there was much rejoicing from the crew, who have been nearly killed both times it went out.  Now they won't be dealing with that **** any more.

Repairs begin in earnest.  There's a lot of them, but fortunately the biggest, baddest hitters on the team were also the least damaged.  Easy's Awesome rolls out of the bay by the end of the week, and Rapier's looks fit to follow it not hours later.  On the other end of the spectrum, Bongo's Vindicator is on the slate for a rebuild of the entire lower structure, and Patriot's Wasp is going to be in for even longer.  Fortunately, only one of them is actually assigned to a lance right now, so I'm not really sorry to say that Patriot's Wasp is of a very much lower priority right now.  The other good news is that Polly's Phoenix Hawk only needs a few repairs done to the Right Leg and then to replace the armor, and it's good to go.  If I do come up with a mission where he's to be deployed, I can very well just slap the armor on and hope that it doesn't get tested without repairing the leg fully.  Welcome to Thule, everybody.

Medical problems are also dealt with effectively.  Dr. Bones manages to heal a sum total of 11 hits on his first day working on lots of patients, which means he's well on his way toward winning a ribbon for it.  Good job!  Day two brings that up to 21.  At the very least, he's now qualified to win a Red Light, with Yellow Light still up in the air.  A round of applause to our medical crew.  Notable nagging injuries include Polly and Night, both of whom are ready and able to deploy despite their minor dizziness and headaches.  At least, they better be.

Monday rolls around, so it's time to formalize the reconsolidation and reorganization.  The 11th and 12th, Heavy and Medium strength respectively, are officially kitted out to drop with an hour's notice.  2nd Aerospace Wing is sortied once every eight hours for a two hour high-altitude reconnaissance flight.  3rd Jump Platoon is similarly on one-hour status to be ready to engage SAR.

Turns out there's one battle this week.  Hide and Seek as attacker.

Quote from: Pre-Briefing
There's a reason Tophat has been sortieing three times a day every day since BRAWL went down.  His surveillance has kept the Hussar unit that did the deed in view the entire time, and we know exactly where they are.  Once Brawl went down, and the 12th and 13th were forced to withdraw, the Hussars quit the field, perhaps fearing an additional combat against the still relatively fresh - and newly pissed off - Daybreakers.  They withdrew, allowing the Brigade repair teams to drag a few otherwise inoperable units off the field.  Most were still lost.

The Daybreakers continued on mission, using the window gained from the Hussars' retreat to take the research facility that was the initial objective, mere hours behind the initial schedule, and well within contingency schedule limits.  Now, objective secured and with the newly reformed 12th Medium Combat Lance conducting a guard operation, the Daybreakers are free to exact revenge on the fleeing Hussars.  In the interim, the Hussars have managed to functionally repair most of their units, though any vehicles have long been left behind in the frigid cold.  What's left for the Daybreakers to hunt down is a pair of Medium lances.

As soon as the Hussars realized they were being actively tracked by Brigade aerospace assets, they immediately fled to the closest population center on this continent, a city by the name of Umpikuja, where they took up positions designed to inflict serious punishment on anyone that dares root them out.  The Daybreakers are up to the challenge, and will approach from the North side of town.

Meteorological surveys report a moderate winter storm approaching the city, which should hit less than an hour before Brigade forces enter the outskirts.  Forecast calls for a good amount of snow.  Temperature for the operation is projected to be a balmy -37 centigrade.

After reviewing battlecam footage from BRAWL, Captain Roberts has put out a 5,000 credit bonus for whoever can down Captain Lewis Cameron and his Trebuchet.

Mission at a glance
Name: Operation: PAYBACK
Time: Wednesday, 20 June 3049
Terrain: Town-Concrete
Size: 20x25
Conditions: Daylight, Medium Snow
Start Positions: Friendly North, Enemy Center.
Victory Conditions: Destroy four (4) enemy units while losing no more than one (1) friendly 'Mech.

Enemy forces consist of surviving enemy 'Mechs from Operation: LIGHT HAMMER, a two lances of Medium and Light 'Mechs.  Exact composition:

Captain Lewis Cameron, Trebuchet TBT-5N, 2/4
Hermes III HER-4K, 3/3
Scorpion SCP-1N, 3/5
Scorpion SCP-1N, 3/5

Cicada CDA-2A, 2/5
Locust LCT-3V, 4/3
Mongoose MON-67, 4/4
Hermes HER-1B, 3/5

Summary: This one should be.... interesting.  No vehicles to die early and give away the victory, but at the same time the numbers aren't favorable, despite the reorganized lances.  I expect Easy and Rapier to be doing most of the fighting, as with Awesomes they can both take and deal more damage per turn than damn near any three of the enemy 'Mechs.  That, and both Awesomes have already made good acquaintance with half of these 'Mechs, so getting to put them down for good would feel pretty nice.

In other news: No recruits this week, and our Techs stumbled upon a minor cache of parts in the research lab.  No one can figure out what they do at a curious glance, though, so it'll probably be until we get desperate and try slapping them on something before we figure out what they are.  Essentially, I got five "parts", of which I choose what they are when I decide to use them.  I got them from the Event Roll this week, which came up with the result "Bonus Roll".  That result came up with "1d6 Parts" and I rolled a five.  These parts can be literally anything, and I get them without paying for them or having to roll for availability.  Obviously, I could horridly abuse this gift and demand that I found five 400 XL engines, but I don't like to cheat like that.

Now that all that is accounted for, the next thing to do is play out the next scene of the Hard Light Brigade adventures on Thule.

I say march the Awesomes right up to their faces, blasting PPC shots while I support from the rear and the Locust tries very hard to not get noticed because it is a Locust and will melt the second something with a gun looks at it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I have decided to refit the Hetzer we still have to an artillery support vehicle.  The AC/20 is gone, replaced instead by a Thumper field artillery piece and a few tons of ammo for it.
A G.W. (Geschutzwagen) Hetzer, hmm?
Who's gonna end up being the scumbag(s) driving it?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I have decided to refit the Hetzer we still have to an artillery support vehicle.  The AC/20 is gone, replaced instead by a Thumper field artillery piece and a few tons of ammo for it.
A G.W. (Geschutzwagen) Hetzer, hmm?
Who's gonna end up being the scumbag(s) driving it?

Same scumbags as last time.  Whichever Hetzer crew doesn't have Nancy Ma in it, since she skirts death more often than I'm comfortable with.

Oh, no, this is not a G.W. Hetzer, this is something far, far worse: STURMHETZER.

(And I'm pretty sure the G.W. is for Granatwerfer, not Gesuechtzwagen as that name belongs to the Hotchkiss tanks converted to carry the PaK 40 as tank destroyers.)
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Scorpion's (-Joshua-) Hetzer took the least damage last mission, since Dire's exploded a little, so that's probably the refitted one. I notice that it has two NPCs instead of named characters in the gunner and driver positions though...

Volunteering for a transfer to the Sturmhetzer, sir!