Author Topic: HLPX-COM: The Rebuild of Rebootening  (Read 19471 times)

Re: HLPX-COM: The Rebuild of Rebootening
EDIT: I am slated for a pilot's slot, right?

You are now. Slated for Demon-1.
Excellent, the shiny new toys. Assuming we ever get one.
Good point though about the Damage Roulette and Double Tap, hadn't thought of that. In the Zone, combined with the wrath of the Random Number God, would probably screw us over royally.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
We've also just picked up a Sergeant Sniper as a mission reward, so I guess Gortef got lucky and gets to skip the usual grind.

Yay! I'm a gift to the mankind.

That damn dice god does indeed seem a tad too cranky. I hope the crankiness doesn't escalate much anymore.  :P
Habeeb it...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No kills yet?
What sorcery is this?

Well, truth is you went on one mission and got hurt, so you rotated off the roster. The rookies will ride again.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Actually, with all this talk about perks the thought came to me...

Why don't the people on this forum choose what perks they would like on their characters?
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Actually, with all this talk about perks the thought came to me...

Why don't the people on this forum choose what perks they would like on their characters?

I've actually considered that. We'll try it out next time we get a level-up?

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It Was A Dark And Stormy Night. In A Cemetery.
My images all uploaded in a bizarre order this time, so apologies if they seem wrong related to the rest of the post; I probably screwed up.

Operation Fading Mother
Montreal, Canada
Responding to Abduction Attempt
Present: StarSlayer, The E, IronBeer, SpardaSon21, Gortef.

So we deploy and then suddenly, new aliens! I wonder what those are, maybe they'll be friendly-or everyone could shoot them. That works too. (Sparda, The E, and IronBeer all fired. IronBeer got a 1 HP hit, The E got a 2 HP hit, and Sparda struck out. No kill.)

So, we've got four aliens in view and two snipers. Let's get rid of some. StarSlayer takes the far Sectoid and Gortef one of the new thingies. Two good hits, two down. At least the long rifles don't deal out single-HP hate from the Dice Gods. (Note from the future: I will regret that statement.)

The E attempts to clean up the other two new things with a rocket. Minor issue: He missed his intended aim point. Still, it sends one of them flying hilariously through the air and off the map, no mean feat considering they're quite far from the edge there.

So it falls to IronBeer to run up and mug the last one for all its remaining HP with a Run & Gun move.

StarSlayer moves out to find the missing Sectoid. And he does. And it's too far away to shoot, so he takes cover and it fires during its own turn.

And then Gortef removes the problem. Seriously having Snipers makes everything better.

Two more aliens turn up inside the large crypt, but only one is visible after their move. The E takes the shot, but it doesn't connect. IronBeer to the rescue.

So between The E and StarSlayer, we flushed another three Sectoids. It's time for the reaction fire now! StarSlayer misses. Sparda misses. Gortef hits! Scratch one.

Gortef attempts to follow up this brilliant success...

...and is immediately backhanded by the Dice Gods. A 1HP sniper rifle hit. Congratulations Gortef, your nickname is now being changed to "Plink".

This is why the Assault's Lightning Reflexes is good and right. It automatically forces the first reaction shot taken at someone during a turn to miss, which is helpful when trying to flush overwatched aliens. StarSlayer demonstrates by closing and killing the Sectoid that reaction-fired.

One left. If you'd do the honors, Sparda...

Done here. Two promotions this time around, so!

IronBeer and Sparda, please post/PM your preferences on how you want your character skills done. If you need a reminder on options, it's in this post. (If you need a reminder on what you are, IronBeer's an assault, Sparda's a sniper, and you're both becoming Sergeants.)

Sometime in the near future we'll have a post about soldier equipment and new enemies, but our next mission will be against a grounded UFO so expect to see that first.

A Feddie Story

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Hey hey, we've got a nice little killsquad shaping up here! Drinks and congratulations all around!
IronBeer and Sparda, please post/PM your preferences on how you want your character skills done. If you need a reminder on options, it's in this post. (If you need a reminder on what you are, IronBeer's an assault, Sparda's a sniper, and you're both becoming Sergeants.)
Lightning Reflexes for me, please. Extra crit chance is nice, but as you've said, "dead troopers kill no aliens".
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Damn you NGTM-1R! This LP made me want to play XCOM again. So I did. Adn wasted the entire day yesterday on it!

Merciless (improved balance and AI) + military retexture + extra heads + toobox (no cutscenes, aliens don't get an auto-move, adjusting rooke nationality ratios, free cam, etc, etc..) + resource hacker (because minor tweaks are cool). I even re-created the Expendables team.
Arnold "Terminator" Schwartzenkegger - Heavy
Dolph "Dragon" Lundgren - Heavy
John "Sly" Balboa - Assault
Chuck "Allmighty" Norris - Sniper
Jason "Transporter" Stahaam - Support
Bruce "Die Hard" McLane - Assault
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline crizza

When can I fly that fancy flyer? :D

Go give me what you think is best for staying alive and blasting aliens.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Go give me what you think is best for staying alive and blasting aliens.

Bigger guns
"No"

We need more SCIENCE! before we get bigger guns.  And by science I mean loot from the corpses and wreckage of our foes.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I personally would rather have sturdier plate.  I found bypassing lasers and instead investing in the armor trees kept my troopers alive, by the time kinetics became obsolete I was ready to simply go straight to plasma. 

That's my experience at least.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Computer threw up in mid mission, no posting tonight. Tomorrow it is.

A Feddie Story

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
an excelent mission? mhmm...
prepare the corpse bags for the next mission!  :P
el hombre vicio...

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
an excelent mission? mhmm...
prepare the corpse bags for the next mission!  :P

Hmm, yes... things *are* proving to be going far too smoothly...
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Operation Red Shield
Landed UFO Assault
Nigeria
Present: StarSlayer, The E, SpardaSon21, IronBeer, Gortef.

Mission Objective: Capture anything the moves. We just got our stunguns in.

Greetings from...wherever these dudes come from.

Aww man, stop spitting goop at The E, that's not cool.

Or shooting Sparda!

So, fire returned, and the dice gods are unhappy with everyone, everybody with the 1 HP slapped-in-the-face. AND STOP SHOOTING AT SPARDA. Least they missed this time.

Pistol return fire. Plinking for 1 HP, but that's intentional. Basic pistols are the best way to maximize capture chance because they plink and you can bring alien health down controllably.

However we don't need all of them alive, so this guy takes one round in the gut from Gortef.

The E shows off Suppression. The aliens do not like Suppression and react quite violently to it. Case in point: the alien he's suppressing tries to hurt him to break it. So does the other alien that's badly injured. Neither hits.

AND THEN THESE GUYS DROP IN. Great, just great.

StarSlayer's reaction shot once again demonstrates why his current nickname is "Crit Miss" although I could fit it I would totally nickname him "Hated of the Dice Gods".

Sparda, too, is not favored. Though he does do more damage than StarSlayer

So this is Double Shot, which does pretty much what it says on the tin. Two shots, at an accuracy penalty, but in this case that still leaves StarSlayer a 62% chance to hit. One miss, one three-HP hit, not what was hoped for but eh I'll take it.

IronBeer's miss, not so much. AND THEN SOMEONE INVADES THE E'S PERSONAL SPACE AGAIN. Ouch. Still, three HP that's not so bad, he'll live, not a huge threat despite the fact he's poisoned. (I will regret writing this.)

And the the aliens show some dumbness, because apparently they can suppress too but didn't try to just counter-suppress The E. No, they tried to suppress IronBeer. NEWS FLASH: IronBeer has Lightning Reflexes, your free reaction shot when he moves to break suppression will automatically miss.

And then The E gets shot again. For another three HP. So he's down to two. And he's poisoned so he's going to lose one of them at least. Frak.

Gortef kills one of the Floaters because I am now officially pissed off.

The E displaces and kills his Personal Space Invader with a burst.

Sparda misses his attempt to kill the alien suppressing IronBeer. Incidentally, the incoming fire here is from the Suppression directed at IronBeer. It also vapes Sparda's cover, which I didn't notice until it was too late. That could potentially suck.

Told you the free shot would miss. Actually it missed so hard the dude spun around to fire backwards. (And then his shots turned over 90 degrees leaving the barrel to be a near miss. Go figure.)

Ride the fraking lightning. First operational use of the HLPX-COM stun weapons is a success.

And then Sparda gets shot for all but one of his remaining HP and there's another active alien and FML-wait it missed. Okay, panic over now.

You're going to suffer hours of excruciating interrogation for this! Both of you!

And then there were Sectoids, Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. They even shot IronBeer, though fortunately he's not too badly hurt.

Gortef returns fire. The other two Sectoids have run off on me.

So basically only StarSlayer and IronBeer are fit to assault ship with at least two known aliens in it. This'll be fun. In much the same way Dwarf Fortress is fun. I'm so short on useable firepower right now I'm going to actually send in Gortef with a pistol because I'm that out of options.

IronBeer spots one of the crystalline ones so we're back up to three aliens, but misses his shot at it. This is going to suck.

StarSlayer runs in, taking some hits on the way, and stuns a Sectoid, but that still leaves two active aliens. Still gonna suck.

Starslayer is shot. IronBeer is shot. StarSlayer is hanging on with 2 HP and IronBeer is at 4 HP but by now it's much too late. This is gonna suck, but we're gonna win it.

StarSlayer uses the Double Shot again, which is fortunate because once again the Dice Gods tried to backhand him with a 1 HP hit on the first round. The second round finishes the job.

IronBeer runs up to our Crystalline Entity wannabe, and at this range literally cannot miss plus 70% crit chance. You can guess what happens next.

Mission Complete. And a mess.

Hospital stays for everyone except Gortef! (Who got promoted, lemme know know what lieutenant-level sniper skill you want plz Gortef.) StarSlayer is in for 14 days, The E for 13, Sparda for 11, and IronBeer for 8.

It's a good thing I was planning on doing a housekeeping post because I'm pretty sure if I gave you all another combat mission or simply pointed a floor fan at you, you'd all fall over dead.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Pain is weakness leaving your body.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Chicks dig scars, right?

Welp, queue up the B-team while we recoup and the geeks brain-probe our guests.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Queue up the next wave of meat shields!
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.