Author Topic: Anti-Aliasing with FSO on Windows/nVidia  (Read 2879 times)

Anti-Aliasing with FSO on Windows/nVidia
I just tried to apply Anti-aliasing and well, even with nvidia tools it does nothing. Ok, it does do something in the tech room, but in game it does squat. Is there any antialiasing technique that works with FSO 3.6.18 on windows with nvidia cards? Even supersampling didn't work >_<. The only thing that works is FXAA, and that's less than ideal (and does weird stuff with the cursor while paused).

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Anti-Aliasing with FSO on Windows/nVidia
Nope. FSO uses deferred rendering which makes all non-shader based anti-aliasing solutions unusable. At the moment FSO supports FXAA as its only anti-aliasing method. In addition to enabling FXAA in the launcher, you should also use "-fxaa_preset 6" command line (again in the launcher) to enable highest quality FXAA.

Some people have claimed to have gotten driver-based AA working in FSO, but as far as I know it should be impossible due to deferred rendering.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In some cases, forcing AA via the driver works for standard builds (deferred rendering is not in trunk as of yet). Also, FXAA presets go from 0 to 9, you can cycle through them by looking at ships in the F3 lab (Press F3 in the mainhall to get to it) and going through the number keys while viewing a model.

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Quote from: Fury
FSO uses deferred rendering which makes all non-shader based anti-aliasing solutions unusable.

Bummer.

Quote from: Fury
In addition to enabling FXAA in the launcher, you should also use "-fxaa_preset 6" command line (again in the launcher) to enable highest quality FXAA.
Quote from: The E
Also, FXAA presets go from 0 to 9, you can cycle through them by looking at ships in the F3 lab (Press F3 in the mainhall to get to it) and going through the number keys while viewing a model.

This is a little confusing. What is the highest setting for FXAA, 6 or 9? Also, turning it on in the launcher does nothing. With it on in the launcher, it says it is on in the F3 menu that you described, but it does not appear to be on, and the number keys do nothing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 02:06:46 am by MaJoRoesch »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
9. And it's not so much a question of "better", it's more a thing of different presets with different priorities (With higher presets being more ressource-intensive).

Unfortunately the only way I've gotten FXAA so far is through the drivers, which has no configuration options. Both the toggle in the launcher and the "-fxaa_preset 6" command line (put into the launcher) do anything whatsoever. So I guess what I get from the driver is all I am going to get. Oh well, thanks guys.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Did you enable post-processing in the Launcher as well? FXAA needs that too.

Indeed I did. I remember something about the FXAA option in the launcher doing nothing on Windows, so I wasn't really surprised.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's..... wrong.

The "Antialiasing" options in the old launchers did nothing, yes. But FXAA has always worked (As the person who added that part, I should know); do you have shaders disabled or something? Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

The "Antialiasing" options in the old launchers did nothing, yes. But FXAA has always worked (As the person who added that part, I should know)

Which launcher exactly? I'm using "FS2 Open Launcher 5.5g". In hindsight, I should have pointed out which launcher I was using sooner. Oh well. Is that what you mean by "the old launchers"? I've thought about using a newer launcher but this one did the job so I haven't bothered to try any yet.

Yep, I got the message. "Update your launcher stupid". The Nvidia drivers FXAA was making the stars disappear and causing weird glitches to the cursor. Using WXLauncher and -fxaa 9, no problems and it looks much better. It's no SSAA but, it'll do. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Eh, stars still tend to disappear in non-MediaVPS mods when using FXAA. Oh well. Still better than what the drivers were doing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:17:59 am by MaJoRoesch »