Author Topic: Gearbox Announces Homeworld, Homeworld 2 HD Remakes  (Read 16141 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Gearbox Announces Homeworld, Homeworld 2 HD Remakes
HW2 frigates were fragile true but if you maxed out strictly on torp frigates and a pair of shield frigates and had them focus fire they could tear pretty much anything up in short order.

Torpedo Tsunami.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mika

Recent Gearbox games are Duke Nukem Forever (modding tools promised) and Aliens: Colonial Marines (modding tools promised). Additionally, that other shooting game II whose name I forgot, but they never said it would contain the mod tools.

Guess what happened?

So, really, don't count on the mods. I really mean it, Gearbox has taken steps to actively prevent it from happening on both cases of DNF and A:CM. Look for duke4.net to see the butthurt.

I just wanted to mention this, you may still like their take on HW.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One issue: Neither of those games were ever advertised as having mod support. Neither had modding communities.

Saying that modding was never a priority for them is totally fair. But do you really think that after all that happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines, they would actively and knowingly lie to their customers again?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well...yeah.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Perhaps. But not from the very beginning. Gearbox can't really hold the franchise hostage in their current state, if they bomb it will be assumed to be their fault and somebody else will be happy to step in.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

Ahh DNF... what a marvelous game. I feel a lot relieved to know this dev studio is remaking one of the finest games ever made on the pc.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Except if Gearbox fails to remake the game well enough/****s it up, it's likely that their failure will take them down. And while I'd rather not that Homeworld just... well, disappears again or something, I feel that the schadenfreude from such a situation would be adequate compensation.

:drevil:

But do you really think that after all that happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines, they would actively and knowingly lie to their customers again?

it is absolutely imperative that we as consumers be even-handed and prepared to give a second chance to companies that deceive and exploit us
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
also what phantom said too  :yes:

Offline Mika

One issue: Neither of those games were ever advertised as having mod support. Neither had modding communities.

Saying that modding was never a priority for them is totally fair. But do you really think that after all that happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines, they would actively and knowingly lie to their customers again?

Actually, you are wrong. At least DNF was promised to have mod support, but it's probably bit more convoluted, as the promise seems to originate from 3DRealms and not from Gearbox. You are also mistaken in the belief that DNF wouldn't have modding community. The reason it does not exist is solely Gearbox, they have done everything to make the game unmoddable - even more so with updates. This has more to do with Gearbox selling downloadable content later on, and I really don't see why they wouldn't keep on going that way. Please note that the site is actually a modding community for Duke Nukem 3D, and these guys would be happy to work with anything more modern than Build engine. A lot of people were furious about DNF not having the tools, they really wanted to fix the darn game themselves, but no such luck. The same thing with A:CM.

Also, a lot of people thought they give Gearbox a second chance with A:CM after DNF was released. So in my opinion, Gearbox has already been given the second chance where they knowing lied to their customers.

I don't know what to make of this, though. Since Gearbox is already in legal trouble over A:CM, for me them acquiring Homeworld rights sort of sounds like an intermediate source of cash. Nothing wrong in that in itself, but given the recent history, I'm very skeptical about the outcome. Of the original announcement, I don't actually see where the modding support has been promised by the Gearbox. They have released a survey, but that's not the same as commitment. In their forums, one of their developer says some of the tools have been developed, but again, whether those tools are included in the release is another thing.

The company's history shows they want to sell DLC instead. At least I'd actually wait for the reviews before giving any money to them.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Luis Dias

I have a bad feeling about this.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The company's history shows they want to sell DLC instead.
At least in the general sense, how does a company selling DLC for a game preclude releasing modding tools for said game?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Modding tools often let people bypass the gates that keep the DLC locked to paying users - even implement the DLC wholesale as a free mod. Or so some companies seem to believe.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The whole concept of a "paywall" in a normal computer program is ridiculous. DLC should not consist of a key to content that is already there. TBH, I haven't seen anyone do that yet, all DLCs I have required me to, you know, download something.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Or more simply, free content in the form of mods means paid DLC may no longer be wanted.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The whole concept of a "paywall" in a normal computer program is ridiculous. DLC should not consist of a key to content that is already there. TBH, I haven't seen anyone do that yet, all DLCs I have required me to, you know, download something.

You probably have seen a bunch of people do it, depending on which games you play. Any multiplayer game with DLC must provide the content to all users so they can see it in their games - a DLC gun pack, for example, has to be available to all clients paying the game, even those who haven't bought the pack. Even cosmetic DLC must be provided even to non-paying users so that they can see the content when paying users display their flair.

Another reason that mod tools have fallen out of favor with a number of AAA releases is that their engines require enormous server infrastructure or proprietary, licensed software in order to bake assets into usable forms. Battlefield 3 and 4, for instance, literally cannot build levels without some kind of nightmare render farm that exists only at DICE HQ.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You probably have seen a bunch of people do it, depending on which games you play. Any multiplayer game with DLC must provide the content to all users so they can see it in their games - a DLC gun pack, for example, has to be available to all clients paying the game, even those who haven't bought the pack. Even cosmetic DLC must be provided even to non-paying users so that they can see the content when paying users display their flair.
Well, I don't play MP games much, but I've actually seen something like that in ArmAII, except done right. They included low-res versions of their smaller DLCs into a (free) patch. You could play with them normally, but they looked and sounded like crap. Not to unplayable levels, though, they wouldn't stand out if you just set graphics to "low". In short, bare minimum, but fully usable in both custom missions and MP. With DLC installed, you also got a whole new campaign, a bunch of missions and much higher quality assets.

Most of the other games I've seen seem to just set restrictions like "You can't play unless you have expansion X version ###" on a given server. Seems to work well enough, at least as long as you don't have a million tiny DLCs that each add 1 weapon or so.

Now that I think of it, WH40K: Space Marine and DOW2 probably do it like that, with their dinky, MP-oriented DLCs. I never played multi on those, so I don't know. I tend to ignore such junk, for me, a proper DLC adds at least one actual, SP mission.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Silent threat vs cardinal spear!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
????????????????

what is that even supposed to mean in relation to homeworld

did you mean to post in another thread or something

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It is clearly related to Homeworld because Dek Plans to make a mod about that, obviously.