3 (15.8%)
They're only good if they innovate from the usual dodge-patrols model
9 (47.4%)
Kill them with fire
2 (10.5%)
Some nuanced combination of the above
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Your Opinion on Stealth Missions?  (Read 9064 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Your Opinion on Stealth Missions?
For example, Queen is a good band that make good music, I just don't like it at all (and I think I just signed my death warrant with that sentence).
I'll back you up on that.  On the rare occasion when I'm around a group of people who break out in Bohemian Rhapsody, I need to leave the room.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?...

edit: on topic, I think stealth missions are good to spice up a campaign, but I'm not fan at all of them. Particularly cause I suck at being subtle.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:59:19 pm by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline Lorric

when I'm around a group of people who break out in Bohemian Rhapsody

You are around people who break out in Bohemian Rhapsody?

That song makes me cringe. As far as the band goes though, they have some songs under the belt that I like.

Offline Cyker

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HAT3 HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HAET HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HAET HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HA3T HATE HATE HATE HATE ...

What I like are furballs!
Or better yet, furballs inside thick asteroid fields! Although very few FS2 missions have such a thing. I love dodging around lots of closely packed asteroids while dogfighting; Stops people getting cheap shots on you while really testing your ability to fly!

Furball in a thick asteroid field in a nebula would be great fun except for the current terrible implementation of nebulas; The fixed plane implementation just seems really daft when 3D cards have been able to simulate proper fog since the Voodoo 1! I remember it not so bad in retail on a Voodoo2 but, at least with SCP on my 7950GT nebular missions are horrible; You can be right next to something and all you can see is the nebular plane!

Cap-ship fights are always fun too, but more for spectating than actually playing since usually it's really a defend-the-bombers mission or you're just pecking them to death :lol:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

More specifically, I was at a party where there was a playlist going, and when it flipped to Bohemian Rhapsody everybody started singing along with inebriated enthusiasm.  That didn't happen with any other song on the playlist.

Offline Lorric

More specifically, I was at a party where there was a playlist going, and when it flipped to Bohemian Rhapsody everybody started singing along with inebriated enthusiasm.  That didn't happen with any other song on the playlist.

Ah, I see.  :)

Heh, I'd be clearing out of that room from such an affront to my senses as well if it was me!  :lol:

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
I'm ambivalent towards stealth missions. It's a nice idea and a welcome change of pace, but a poorly-designed one can quickly become a frustrating and tedious nightmare. A well-designed mission makes for an interesting experience, but if too many people try to make stealth missions and the average quality is poor, there's a risk that stealth missions will be shunned as overused. Unless that already happened.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Ah, I see.  :)

Heh, I'd be clearing out of that room from such an affront to my senses as well if it was me!  :lol:

drunk or sober I would be joining in lol
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lorric

drunk or sober I would be joining in lol

:warp:

:)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You might want to look at Shadow Genesis.  They have used checkpoints extensively in their missions.  I also believe they have a stealth mission where if you are spotted you can run away and the hostiles lose track of you so you can continue on.

Heh. Got a couple of problems there since I'm still on 3.6.12 after issues with 3.6.14, and my C drive is all but full...

But thanks for the advice. I had a look at it's page and it looks intriguing.

Check your PMs.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
you've seen the drunk guy who sung it in the back of the cop car right?

Don't Stop Believing must not have come up then.

in general i don't care all that much for queen, but Bohemian Rhapsody is just one of those all time great songs and i would definitely be one of the fools singing along.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Sadly, I've never been in crowd that'd break into one of the songs I'd actually sing along to.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Sadly, I've never been in crowd that'd break into one of the songs I'd actually sing along to.
You should hang out with magical girls doing karaoke. (I would, I just cant seem to find them)

BP act 3 stealth missions were all rad.
Stealth missions before act 3 showed us the light have all been kinda painful to play through. Cycling through enemy fighters and checking distances while having very little else to do just isn't a whole lotta fun to me. I blame everyone just blindly copying retail freespace gameplay from the one stealth mission example they've shown us.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You should hang out with magical girls doing karaoke. (I would, I just cant seem to find them)

I don't think they're the type to sing Flagpole Sitta or Mexican Radio either.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

With the exception of Tenebra, I think I have uniformly hated every stealth mission I've played in FSO. I mean, I love well-executed stealth games, like Dishonoured or HR, but they're working with a gameplay formula that admits to stealth far more readily (thanks to the plentiful cover and more constrained, precise positioning of FPSes) and on top of that they were made with far more malleable engines than FSO; comparing them to "stay away from enemy patrol" missions is almost insulting.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

With the exception of Tenebra, I think I have uniformly hated every stealth mission I've played in FSO. I mean, I love well-executed stealth games, like Dishonoured or HR, but they're working with a gameplay formula that admits to stealth far more readily (thanks to the plentiful cover and more constrained, precise positioning of FPSes) and on top of that they were made with far more malleable engines than FSO; comparing them to "stay away from enemy patrol" missions is almost insulting.

I have to agree to this post right here, they just aren't comparable to one another, I mean you can compare the above, dishonoured and Human Revolution, because they are in the same genre more or less, FSO is a space sim at its core and isn't readily built for stealth missions, they can be done, but most of them are the same really.

And indeed, even in Tenebra the stealth component is very limited and would be fairly boring were it not mostly there to facilitate all the other gameplay mechanics introduced.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.

Most, if not all stealth missions I recall were to sneak around, scan something, and nothing else...

What about being an artillery spotter and tagging ships while staying away from enemy patrols (and if they locate your stealth ship the mission ain't failed- it's only tagging along while being chased by over 9000 enemies), or some other mix of staying quiet while watching fireworks?

P.S. Just watched the drunk Rhapsody guy...

Physical violence is the least of my priorities.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
What about being an artillery spotter and tagging ships while staying away from enemy patrols (and if they locate your stealth ship the mission ain't failed- it's only tagging along while being chased by over 9000 enemies), or some other mix of staying quiet while watching fireworks?
Aka Her Finest Hour.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras