Poll

How much would you be willing to contribute towards a joint HLP pledge? ($2500 is the target)

$1
6 (5.6%)
$3
5 (4.7%)
$5
12 (11.2%)
$10
21 (19.6%)
$20
27 (25.2%)
$50
20 (18.7%)
$75
1 (0.9%)
$100
9 (8.4%)
$200
4 (3.7%)
More (Please Post)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: This makes me giddy  (Read 70095 times)

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Pledged $25 and sent notification.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
$25 pledged and message sent.  Big thanks to Mr. Kagetsuki for being so accommodating. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, semi-full disclosure time... the HLP PayPal has a not-insignificant amount of funds in there. There have been three $50 donations recently for this project, and since PayPal takes a fee off every donation, I'm deciding unilaterally that HLP will compensate for those fees, so the full amounts of each of those donations will go to the KickStarter.

That leaves us with a still not-insignificant amount in there. What do people think of the idea that HLP as an "entity" (not just the individual "forumites") would donate, say, multiple hundreds of dollars to this, from the funds that have come in over the years and which we haven't needed for hosting?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I can't use kickstarter, using the HLP paypal is still an option right?
Anything special I need to write down?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I can't use kickstarter, using the HLP paypal is still an option right?
Anything special I need to write down?

Sure is. Just indicate it's for the APNG project or whatever. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline flecht

Just donated $10. Unfortunately, I probably missed my chance to indicate it's for APNG. :mad: Local part of my email is the same as my nick here. I can PM more information if needed. Sorry for inconvenience.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ok, semi-full disclosure time... the HLP PayPal has a not-insignificant amount of funds in there. There have been three $50 donations recently for this project, and since PayPal takes a fee off every donation, I'm deciding unilaterally that HLP will compensate for those fees, so the full amounts of each of those donations will go to the KickStarter.

That leaves us with a still not-insignificant amount in there. What do people think of the idea that HLP as an "entity" (not just the individual "forumites") would donate, say, multiple hundreds of dollars to this, from the funds that have come in over the years and which we haven't needed for hosting?

Given that the forumites have pledged in excess of the target, I'd say hopd on to those funds and do something else cool with them. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Lorric

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Imagine how annoying it would be to use that money on this, and then something else comes up where you could have used that money and you can't.

Perhaps an ideas thread could be opened up instead to discuss possible uses for that money...

Perhaps an ideas thread could be opened up instead to discuss possible uses for that money...

That would probably not end so well...

On the other hand, for the current situation, I would recommend: tally pledges sent straight to the kickstarter, add pledges sent to the HLP paypal for the kickstarter, and if the total is less than the 2500 by the time the drive is almost over, then use the paypal to top off the 2500. Because as has been mentioned, what people say they'll pay is not always the same when it comes time to lay the money down.

Probably won't be a problem, but just in case...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
$100 pledged and message sent.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
$38.93 which = £25 ish according to google donated
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
what people say they'll pay is not always the same when it comes time to lay the money down.

So far that indeed appears to be true. People are paying more than they pledged. :D

Sadly this comes at exactly the wrong time for me (I just switched jobs and won't be paid until the end of September). So I can't pledge anything myself. I'm glad to see everyone being so generous though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Just donated $20 via the HLP donations link with a note marking it as for the APNG project.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
$50 to kickstarter + "HLP" comment.

Offline CKid

$100 sent to KS, added HLP
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline FelixJim

• User 11092
$3 sent through Kickstarter.  Yes, I'm a cheapskate - just been on holiday need to skimp for a while to make up for it. But it's something anyway.
In-Mission Techroom Script v0.4 - See information from the techroom in game
Simple Animation Script v0.2 - Make your own on-screen animations for FSO
Visible Waypoints Script - Makes waypoints visible in-game
Run From File Script - Get around the pesky 31 character limit for script-eval

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
$3 sent through Kickstarter.  Yes, I'm a cheapskate - just been on holiday need to skimp for a while to make up for it. But it's something anyway.
It's all good... Remember the parable of the widow's mite from the Bible? ;)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I ended up donating 25 (will update poll to reflect recent changes.) Note sent.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Done.
$10
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Thanks for the big boost everyone. Thus far I have tallied $909.75 through Kickstarter but I'm sure there have been more donations from HLP than that. Please, if you backed and did not hit the "Contact Me" link on the right with a message of HLP could you please do so now? If you've already sent a message there is no need to send another one.

I'm preparing an update now here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VCB0-SZt1ORNZn9GfnUwox_RQMje6v9gxeI4MmNE7hE/edit?usp=sharing . I'll ask for a double check before I post it.