Author Topic: Looking for a good joystick  (Read 4938 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Looking for a good joystick
Good day.

I'm now finally sick of that Logtech 3D Pro crap and as grandma was, eh, generous today ;) I intend to buy a new joystick next week. The Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X doesn't look too bad for me, heard much good of it: http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-stick-x

As I expect a lot of other joystick users to be here I wanted to hear more opinions, however. What would you suggest? If possible I would not want to spend more than, say, 80€ or so. It doesn't have to be a high end war machine, just a durable and accurate piece of work (like my beloved old Thrustmaster Top Gun afterburner - may it rest in peace).

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Looking for a good joystick
Well, I suggest what I suggested in all those other threads. CH Fighterstick. Throttle and pedals may be too pricey for you (worth every cent, though), but the stick by itself is reliable, has a lot of buttons and is very ergonomic, plus it looks really cool. As you can see in the other threads, it's a bit obscure, but often recommended by those who do have it.

Thrustmaster T Flight stick X is what I used for quite a few years untill the potentiometers started becoming less accurate (and to be honest, at that price, replacing the stick is not all that big a bother). From my experience with joysticks, there's a few one can recommend:

T Flight stick X: Excellent joystick for the price.

T.1600 M: Thrustmaster joystick utilizing the same tech as the A-10 Warthog (The McLaren F1 of sticks) and other HOTAS systems, but only costing a little bit more then the T. Flight Stick X. It's also fully compatible with their programming software (Which is, along with CHs, the best on the market)

Saitek X52 (pro): Driver issues I reported on earlier have all but been resolved, making this a fairly reliable and highly functional HOTAS sytem. If you never tried an HOTAS before, try the Saitek series. They are a very good blend between price and functionality. They also look cool. I was able to find an X52 set for 100 euros, but if you have the money I suggest you buy the Pro series instead, as it is simply better in every way.

CH products: CH is a compnay that makes control equipment for heavy industry, and harbours, and all other jobs where the damage caused by a faulty stick are far greater then the costs of having one of those sticks in the first place. As a side project, they also make entertainment products. As a result, their sticks are extremely reliable and highly programmable, although they are not as fancy as the newer sticks (The stick is unchanged since the start of the USB era). For the full functionality, however, you need to buy three seperate components (stick, rudder pedals, throttle), which is rather expensive.
However, CH sells replacement parts, and their product reliability is legendary (see above).

Logitech G940: Reported to be not as reliable, but it is the only system on the market with Force feedback right now. People do love their Force Feedbacks.

we should really just have a stickied joystick recommendation thread
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That would probably fall under advertising...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, unless it becomes a string of posts praising CH controllers, I don't think so. Not everyone has had a CH stick, so they'll probably recommend something else. :) A sticky with joystick discussion would be really useful.

Well I had CH Product in the past but last year I picked up a Saitek X52 Pro. Wow what a piece of junk. Wicked dead space in the stick (YouTube for fix that voids warranty). Glad I didn't do it as the stick went dead in 3 weeks and I returned it.

My wife then asked what the best one was and she proceeded to get it for me.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

If you have the money... man this is an awesome stick/throttle

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well I had CH Product in the past but last year I picked up a Saitek X52 Pro. Wow what a piece of junk. Wicked dead space in the stick (YouTube for fix that voids warranty). Glad I didn't do it as the stick went dead in 3 weeks and I returned it.

Are you sure it was the X52Pro or the regular X52? The X52Pro was supposed to have the deadzone issue fixed, as far as I know, so it's possible you had a faulty product out of the box.

Anyway, this is a good example why it's almost impossible to go down on the joystick hierarchy, once you know how a joystick SHOULD behave, trying to use an inferior product just makes you notice all the flaws and makes it impossible to concentrate. Coming from another direction, I remember how much better the X52 was compared to entry level sticks like Logitechs and Saitek's Cyborg Evo.

The deadzone fix I applied for X52 worked fine in the beginning but the stick just wasn't all that good in general, nowhere near CH build quality, and of course the Warthog is pure metal beast... I ended up going with CH because I heard the Warthog (like its predecessor, the Cougar) developes mechanical play in use, and the spring stiffness is fairly high which I don't personally like very much.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd still use my MS Sidewinder 3D Pro for pretty much everything if it just had a few more buttons on it.  Best stick movement I've ever felt.

Oh it definitely was a Pro model... not cheap in price.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

definitely want to check out the warthog. but my ch hardware just doesn't die. hard to justify a new stick when i already have one that does everything i need it to.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Same with me, I was interested in Thrustmaster, but they don't seem to include pedals, not to mention my CH stick and throttle aren't showing any signs of wear. Oh, and I really don't feel like giving up the CM.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Sneak into an aircraft boneyard and steal some hardware :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Won't be better than CH. :) Their sticks are already made to industrial standards, I wouldn't be surprised if the Fighterstick shared some parts with actual aircraft sticks (IIRC, CH makes those, too).

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
They may come from same assembly line (although I seriously doubt it) but the QA requirements for aircraft components are FAR more rigorous than what could ever be expected of a consumer grade game controllers. Button switches may be possible, but you definitely don't want a spiking potentiometre in your aircraft's fly-by-wire control stick.

Or, I dunno, maybe they just exchange components as soon as diagnostic shows they're starting to be out of operating standards.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Same with me, I was interested in Thrustmaster, but they don't seem to include pedals, not to mention my CH stick and throttle aren't showing any signs of wear. Oh, and I really don't feel like giving up the CM.

supposedly the warthog comes with some pretty good config software. it has features like scripting and virtual joysticks. but its meant for a stand alone product. ch's control manager is more general purpose since you use the same application for all ch hardware.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:08:20 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
What I love about CH CM is that it allows me to include pedals into games that wouldn't otherwise accept them. MW2, for example, it way too primitive to be convinced to accept pedals in addition to a HOTAS, but configuring my CH set as a single controller allowed me to pass the whole thing off as an MS Sidewinter variant, and it works (well, sort of. GBL broke torso twist).

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
heres a good breakdown on what you can and cant do with each major hotas and their programming software:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_094a.html

the warthog is probibly second most configurable to anything from ch. it can do virtual joysticks, but only one (i think ch does up to 16 virtual joysticks, but i only ever use 2 or 3 of them). thats the only major difference. both are highly configurable and scriptable. saitek and logitech sticks on the other hand have very limited config software, no scripting, no axis swapping and issues like that. article is a good read.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:15:44 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Very good read. The Cougar seems rather interesting, because it has support for additional gameport pedals. I didn't heard about that before. I have no idea where to get such pedals, though, but they should be quite cheap, what with them being a previous-era gameport hardware. CH once made gameport devices, though they're probably going to be even harder to get in Europe. I wish Warthog supported pedal integration, this is quite a big deal to me.