Author Topic: Saints Row 4 - The real Matrix game  (Read 8712 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Saints Row 4 - The real Matrix game
It's Blood Dragon in Saint's Row. Nuff said.

Oh, you want more?

Okay then. Brief plot synopsis: The Saints have made it to the White HouseCrib, installed Stripper poles, and cured cancer or world hunger (You get to decide!). Then Aliens invade, stick Earth's best and brightest (and the player character, for some reason) into a big simulation and blow up the planet. You then break out of the Sim and start fighting back.

Now, this game represents the pinnacle of insanity that the Saint's Row series has been steadily progressing towards over the past games. It's an incredible collection of parodies of various other games and films (The entire opening is a massive parody towards your typical spunkgarbleweewee intro, and you'll see allusions to Matrix and Mass Effect everywhere), and the writing and gameplay are satisfying and engrossing. It's a game that knows what it wants to be and doesn't care what you think.

Gameplay-wise, this is very much the same as SR3 (no wonder, given that a lot of assets were taken from SR3), with added superpowers, a move that makes the whole openworldness work much better. The addition of health pickups dropped by fallen enemies encourages a very aggressive playstyle, and you'll never lack for targets.
That does not mean that this is a cakewalk; While experienced players will not find much challenge here on the lower difficulties, the game does require a certain amount of attention.

Graphics-wise, Very much the same as SR3, but with a few very cool effects added. The simulation is constantly glitching, with intentional texture and rendering errors used deliberately to remind you that this is not real.

Music is, frankly, a bit of a letdown. Where SR3 opened to Kanye Wests' "Power", SR4 uses Haddaway's "What is Love", which while still a banging track, is not quite as powerful, and the songs on the radio stations are devoid of really big tunes (Props for incorporating Cypress Hills' Insane in the Brain though!).

Is this game worth full price? Probably not. It's got good amounts of content, and it's all solidly put together, but there are still lots of real glitches present that :V: needs to fix, and one can't escape the sensation that this is more like a quick cash grab so that Deep Silver can recoup the costs of the :V: acquisition than a real full Saint's Row game.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Darius

Re: Saints Row 4 - The real Matrix game
We in Aus don't get PRESIDENT NO-PANTS: The Game until September D:

Offline Luis Dias

Y u say anything after "nuff said"? Y? ANSWER! Y???

I've been wet blanketing over SR4 for ages now, but now that it's out: can they seriously continue the series after this? It seems like they can't keep escalating past this point without burning out.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
How the heck you have played the game already when EU is supposed to have it unlocked on Friday?

I can confirm that this game is crazily awesome and incredibly fun, especially in co-op where the insanity is doubled.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline ViRGE

SR4 being the irreverent game that it is, there's a quick shoutout to Freespace in one of the missions that I'm sure the crowd here is going to appreciate.:)

Release FS3
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN :(

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yeah, not the first time, won't be the last :)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Anyone else get the feeling that this series is building up to Freespace?

Vasudans will be next. You'll see! :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

In the far future, after awaking from a long stasis-induced slumber, The Boss initiates contact with the Vasudans.

The Terran-Vasudan War ignites five minutes later.

Frig, I'd play that game.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:22:12 am by That Man »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Anyone else notice that the repair drops in the Power Armor sequences look like salvage from Red Faction: Armageddon (with the suit's weapons and shoulder-ramming more than a bit reminiscent of the L.E.O. Exosuit, of course)?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Been playing this since yesterday and let me share my thoughts.

Spoiler:
Saints Row 3 + Prototype 2 = Saints Row 4.

This game is so much like SR3 that this could have been a DLC or expansion.

SR4's Steelport is nearly carbon copy of SR3's with a twist that it's virtual world and even the player character knows it. Once again player must fight his/her way to being top dog of Steelport, but what the game fails to do is create any importance in completing optional stuff. In SR3 you at least were in a "real world" where what you did actually had some meaning as far as the player character was concerned. But in SR4 the only reason you're in the virtual world is to beat the alien boss, everything else is irrelevant. So why exactly would player want to do anything but the absolute necessary in the virtual Steelport? The virtual Steelport lacks purpose beyond main objective of one upping the alien boss.

Superpowers in SR4 is a twist too, but I really don't think it fits the SR series even knowing it's virtual world like Matrix. Could just as well play Prototype 1 and 2 if you want to play with superpowers. With superpowers vehicles were made essentially obsolete, except when an objective absolutely requires driving a vehicle. Later in the game you could probably just grab target vehicle with telekinesis and super jump the hell away anyway. Not saying superpowers aren't fun, they are. But I had my fill of them in both Prototype games and I feel they have no place in SR.

Collecting data clusters is super annoying and cheap. Couldn't :v: really come up with anything better, seriously? This is the mommy of all goddamn gaming cliches and it's not even funny.

SR4 is still cheesy, crazy and fun as much as SR3 was. But I think SR3 was the better game out of these two. I think SR4's story would have worked better as a SR3 DLC than standalone game.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
This game is so much like SR3 that this could have been a DLC or expansion.
Spoiler:
It originally was; a standalone expansion, that is, rather than a complete sequel. Then they had too much content for that.

Spoiler:
SR4's Steelport is nearly carbon copy of SR3's with a twist that it's virtual world and even the player character knows it. Once again player must fight his/her way to being top dog of Steelport, but what the game fails to do is create any importance in completing optional stuff. In SR3 you at least were in a "real world" where what you did actually had some meaning as far as the player character was concerned. But in SR4 the only reason you're in the virtual world is to beat the alien boss, everything else is irrelevant. So why exactly would player want to do anything but the absolute necessary in the virtual Steelport? The virtual Steelport lacks purpose beyond main objective of one upping the alien boss.
Spoiler:
All distractions have the same purpose: destabilize the simulation in order to gain more control over it, therefore making it easier to finally overload it to gain access to Zinyak's mothership.

In a metagaming incentive, you get a different ending if you do all sidequests before the final mission (in another Mass Effect reference).

Spoiler:
Collecting data clusters is super annoying and cheap. Couldn't :v: really come up with anything better, seriously? This is the mommy of all goddamn gaming cliches and it's not even funny.
Spoiler:
I also found this really annoying, but once you get collectibles on your radar, it ceases to be even a minor inconvenience.

Spoiler:
SR4 is still cheesy, crazy and fun as much as SR3 was. But I think SR3 was the better game out of these two. I think SR4's story would have worked better as a SR3 DLC than standalone game.
Spoiler:
I don't really see how they could've made this a DLC, as-is (it took me more hours to beat SR4 than it did for me to beat SR3). Also, how would you get back to "regular" Steelport after the Earth explodes?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Now I'm stuck in one of those bloody hacking minigames. At first they were minor inconvenience for being so easy, but now I have one that I can't figure out. Guess I have to take a screenshot and ponder it over. What a damned annoyance.

Damn, losing the sense of immersion in the actual city was my biggest fear about this game. I guess Volition were just making the best of a bad situation, though.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I've been YouTube-ing.

The Australian version has REMOVED THE BEST MISSION. I mean, so what if they're smoking out of lightbulbs? INFINITE SUPERPOWERS! Shaundi vs Shaundi! Veteran Child KUNG FU!

Offline Mikes

All part of the publisher deception strategy? ;)

No no, we're not making Freespace!!! It's a Saints Row game, really!!!! :P

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Due to the IP problems, I don't see FS3 ever being released, but I'm so hopeful for a spiritual successor, a new Space Sim developed by Volition...
Potato!

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Just finished the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I have determined that a fully powered Dubstep Gun is more than just a joke. When it's firing Explosive Wubs, it is EXTREMELY devastating.