Author Topic: Saints Row 4 - The real Matrix game  (Read 8744 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Saints Row 4 - The real Matrix game
I have determined that a fully powered Dubstep Gun is more than just a joke. When it's firing Explosive Wubs, it is EXTREMELY devastating.

After I got that, it became a very frequently used weapon through the rest of the game.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Finished the game yesterday. I am still of the opinion that IV would have worked better as a DLC to the Third. Not worth the full price at the very least, unfortunately. The Third is indeed the better game out of the two.

Offline Rhys

Due to the IP problems, I don't see FS3 ever being released, but I'm so hopeful for a spiritual successor, a new Space Sim developed by Volition...

Well, what could :v: do now that the SR and RF sagas are finished? Other than spinoffs of the two, I think we might be expecting something new from them.

Unless we get Summoner 3...

Dammit I just want a space game announced from them!

Offline Lorric

Unless we get Summoner 3...
Yes!

Are you reading,  :v-old:?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Speaking of :V:, the latest patch seems to break saves at least some of the time, so I would advise to not play the game after it has been applied, at least for the moment.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Finished the game yesterday. I am still of the opinion that IV would have worked better as a DLC to the Third. Not worth the full price at the very least, unfortunately. The Third is indeed the better game out of the two.
With the amount of content in SR4? There's no way in hell it'd be small enough as a DLC. I'm spending more time in SR4's campaign than SR3's atm.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So, who else here has found the Noisy Cri... I mean, the Loud Locust? :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
With the amount of content in SR4? There's no way in hell it'd be small enough as a DLC. I'm spending more time in SR4's campaign than SR3's atm.
To be honest, most of the content in SR4 was filler in the form of the (pointless) side quests. If it had been a DLC without those side quests, it would have been a lot more enjoyable.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So, who else here has found the Noisy Cri... I mean, the Loud Locust? :P
I found it after I beat the game and unlocked everything else, but somehow it still managed to "run out of ammo" and enter "charging" mode... even though I had unlimited ammo. :wtf:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Is necroing a really old topic worse than making a brand new topic on the same topic? Oh well.

For the longest time, when I thought about the saints row series, I thought about a 13 year old suburban kid giggling as he ran his car over pedestrians. It also had the stigma of a Grand Theft Auto imitation. Recently, I heard that saints row is not a typical open world "whee I can kill random people" game. Well it has that, but I saw more in the reviews. Jets, tanks mini games and volition. I figured I would try it out because it was on sale so I got the saints row bundle on steam. I was unsure if I was going to get my money's worth of enjoyment...

To my amazement, I did. I played saints row 2, saints row 3 and saints row 4 all in rapid succession and caught myself having fun doing it. The game does a pretty good job actually making you feel like a baddass. The majority of gameplay comes from bad guys telling you that you're nothing and you taking a pistol and defeating them all in large shootouts. You prove them wrong, you gain respect, you gain followers and you start a gang war that persists through the open world. I am really surprised that I enjoyed doing that, but I did. There must be something wrong with me. The story and character development for saints row 2 proved interesting and it was somewhat insightful into the tit for tat nature of gang rivalry. Seeing one of your gang members dragged to death at the back of a pickup truck really made you regret destroying your rival gang's drug labs. Or perhaps it just made you want to take the rival gang leader's girlfriend and get her crushed under a monster truck. Whatever emotions fly.

Saints row 2 was over the top, so I had a hard time understanding why people called it the "Real gang shooter". Then I played saints row 3, and yeah I can see where fans felt betrayed. Saints row 3 tried to be more over the top than it really needed to and the whole Johnny Gat thing was just strange. Saints row 3 also exchanged a lot of serious gang violence for lighthearted gags. HOWEVER, if you can get over that feeling of betrayal by the story, saints row 3 is actually a pretty entertaining game and I think it competes with saints row 2 in raw fun. Gameplay is arguably more entertaining in sr3 and there is a lot to do. I spent roughly the same amount of time playing both saints row 2 and saints row 3.

Saints row 4 really let loose with its story and went mass effect2 meets matrix. I saw a review on the game where a developer said that they chose to do things this way as an excuse to do whatever they wanted in the gameplay department. Superpowers, 50s style clothing, the dubstep gun?! racing minigames and UFO destruction.... I really could go on. It was a fast paced assault of different interesting ways to play a game paired with random gags and story elements. The game was so entertaining that it sucked whole chunks of my day out every time I played it. I started just ignoring the clock. I haven't been this addicted to a game in awhile.

Taking a series from a gang war to an alien war just shows me how much volition wants to make freespace3 am I right?

Well I finished the series now and I'm glad... to have my free time back. Seriously though, I didn't think I would enjoy a Grand Theft Auto clone that much.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They're both enjoyable for different reasons. I prefer the multi of GTA but Saints is just :v: gold. I love em all in release order. I have no Loud Locust as my dubstep gun is stuck on xmas jingle.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline LHN91

GTA has always been somewhat lost on me for some reason. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed SR4 - and I hadn't played 1-3, though I am going back and playing them.

For me, the superpowers made for much more varied gameplay and helped extend the fun. If I felt like driving, I could; if I felt like flying or jumping over all of the buildings I could. It was balls-to-the-wall insane and so much fun for it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I like the gradual unlock feel of earlier games in the series. 4 just gave it me all far too early to the point where when I finished the game. I still only knew my way part round. Also I got all the towers by using dasher. (The dlc reindeer)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I did enjoy not having to spend ages driving around between places. I can run from one side of the map to the other in about a minute once I have all the speed and glide upgrades. No more of that steal a plane, crash a plane bull****. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Crash a plane?

But you're a FREESPACE PLAYER! ;7
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I did enjoy not having to spend ages driving around between places. I can run from one side of the map to the other in about a minute once I have all the speed and glide upgrades. No more of that steal a plane, crash a plane bull****. :p

Yeah, but you can also just jump hundreds of feet straight into the air, and then summon a jet out of midair, fly it where you're going, then ram it into whoever you are trying to kill as a nice introduction
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Of course. And you can mess with your radio stations so that they play when you aren't in a car too. So that you can listen to the strains of "You've got the touch!" while you do it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
That last bit where that plays.....

I went gooey.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

The music was really a letdown for me, the selection seemed far worse than SR3's.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
There was no heavy metal station. I was a bit disappointed about that.

That being said, you could hardly call SR3's metal station metal either, seeing as it has two electronica songs and the most annoying DJ known to mankind. What happened to Corn Dog from SR2? He was metal.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.