Author Topic: More Questions about Multiplayer Missions  (Read 1065 times)

More Questions about Multiplayer Missions
I hate to bring up so many questions about multiplayer FSO in the past few days, but I can't tell if these are mere limitations or bugs.

1. While attempting to design mutliplayer missions over large distances(attempting to do autopilot), the client ships are not created where they were placed in Fred. For example, I place alpha wing at 0, 0, -200,000, and every time I start the mission all client ships will spawn at around 0, 0, -119,000. If I start the multiplayer mission without any clients connected, alpha wing spawns where they were placed.

2. As for auto-pilot, time-compression doesn't work. I mantised that bad boy already, but when you press auto-pilot in multiplayer from a client machine, all it does is spin in circles. It works sometimes on the server end where it will home in on the nav and gradually increase in time compression.

3. Using ballistic primaries gets funky on the client end as well. On the server all primary ballistics work fine. On the client it works if the primary ballistic is a set as the primary default weapon in the weapons table. If a primary ballistic weapon isn't a default, and the client tries to add it(and it is placed properly as an allowed primary), the result is having an unpredictable # of ammunition capacity. Sometimes it's 99, and sometimes it's -1 and won't fire. 

4. I almost forgot. When using the max hud radar range sexp, should the AI be normally attacking outside the limitations? If so, I imagine this means you just have to add some fredding limitations for their attack behavior.

Thanks to the awesome freespace community  that takes time to look at all this stuff. This is why this is still the best sim and probably will be until Roberts Space Industries releases their game. :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: More Questions about Multiplayer Missions
I hate to bring up so many questions about multiplayer FSO in the past few days, but I can't tell if these are mere limitations or bugs.

It's fairly quiet on the FRED forum anyway. So I doubt anyone minds.

1. While attempting to design mutliplayer missions over large distances(attempting to do autopilot), the client ships are not created where they were placed in Fred. For example, I place alpha wing at 0, 0, -200,000, and every time I start the mission all client ships will spawn at around 0, 0, -119,000. If I start the multiplayer mission without any clients connected, alpha wing spawns where they were placed.

FS2 has a big problem with precision over large distances. This could be related but it does sound like this is a multiplayer issue separate from that one as they spawn normally when there are no clients connected. It definitely sounds like a bug to me.

2. As for auto-pilot, time-compression doesn't work. I mantised that bad boy already, but when you press auto-pilot in multiplayer from a client machine, all it does is spin in circles. It works sometimes on the server end where it will home in on the nav and gradually increase in time compression.

I suspect that no allowances were made for multiplayer when time compression was added. I can try fixing the SEXP to have the same effect on the client side but I have no idea if that would actually fix the problem. I will look into it some time in the next few days though.

3. Using ballistic primaries gets funky on the client end as well. On the server all primary ballistics work fine. On the client it works if the primary ballistic is a set as the primary default weapon in the weapons table. If a primary ballistic weapon isn't a default, and the client tries to add it(and it is placed properly as an allowed primary), the result is having an unpredictable # of ammunition capacity. Sometimes it's 99, and sometimes it's -1 and won't fire.

Now this is odd. It should work as both Diaspora and BtRL used ballistics in multiplayer without this problem occurring.

4. I almost forgot. When using the max hud radar range sexp, should the AI be normally attacking outside the limitations? If so, I imagine this means you just have to add some fredding limitations for their attack behavior.

The SEXP only affects the HUD, not AI behaviour. You'll have to find some other way to compensate for that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]