Author Topic: 2014 is going to be really really good  (Read 11257 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: 2014 is going to be really really good
I didn't realize how good 1998 was, but even 1998 can't hold a candle to 1993:

The 7th Guest
Betrayal at Krondor
Day of the Tentacle
Doom
Iron Helix
Master of Orion
Myst
X-Wing (the ur-FreeSpace)

And that doesn't include the various sequels such as Space Quest V, Wing Commander: Privateer, etc.
The only two games on that list that haven't aged hideously are Day of the Tentacle and X-Wing.
Doesn't look hideously aged to me:

Yes, that's the first Myst. Beautiful game, even by today's standards.
Also, Space Quest V doesn't look too bad today (the first installment, however...) and Privateer, while looking a bit dated, is still a really great game.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

The 7th Guest
Betrayal at Krondor
Day of the Tentacle
Doom
Iron Helix
Master of Orion
Myst

And that doesn't include the various sequels such as Space Quest V, Wing Commander: Privateer, etc.

The only two games on that list that haven't aged hideously are Day of the Tentacle and X-Wing. The same cannot be said for any of the games I listed excepting possibly Half Life and Grim Fandango. Sorry, but my childhood beats your childhood :P

Sorry, but childhood nostalgia was not the only criteria I used. :p  All of the above games established major franchises or advanced the state-of-the-art in a major way.  Myst created a whole new type of adventure game and spawned four direct sequels and a number of spinoffs.  The 7th Guest and Iron Helix advanced CD-ROM technology, and T7G actually drove sales of CD drives.  Doom, which I actually disliked, practically defined the FPS genre for a number of years.  I would have included Space Quest V, SimCity 2000, and Mortal Kombat II, except they were all sequels.  I probably also should have included Gabriel Knight except I'm not all that familiar with it.

hate to break it to you man but half-life and every isometric RPG ever have aged horribly
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Agreed about Half-Life, though mostly because of the "Seinfield is unfunny" effect and it's rather medicore graphics. Still worth sticking around for the story, though.

Offline Aesaar

hate to break it to you man but half-life and every isometric RPG ever have aged horribly
Baldur's Gate 2 has not aged horribly.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
You're not playing Torment for the graphics.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So much this.

Agreed about Half-Life, though mostly because of the "Seinfield is unfunny" effect and it's rather medicore graphics. Still worth sticking around for the story, though.
Half-Life may not have aged well, but Black Mesa definitely demonstrates that the core concepts are still excellent.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Here's an interesting question

SNES games. Aged well or not?
"No"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On average? Not at all. There's still classics galore that warrant a replay (Final Fantasy VI/III! Super Mario Land! Donkey Kong Country! Secret of Mana! Secret of Evermore!) but the vast majority of games will be only interesting for historical reasons now, I would imagine.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You know what aged horribly ?

DX1.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

Unreal tournament and Quake 3 have, OTOH, aged magnificently!

e: also, Half Life *has* a story? I was bored to death in 1998 or so when I played it and couldn't drive myself to finish it. The first moments of the game really drew me in and made me expect a live and rich environment, and then it was just another Doom / Quake with benefits.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

...no, I'm pretty sure if you want to trace lineage like that, then that'd make Battlehawks 1942 the ur-FreeSpace. (Because the development of that lead to the development of Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain, which lead to the development of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, which is what convinced them they had the chops to make X-Wing.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
e: also, Half Life *has* a story?
It's not because you failed to see it that it isn't there. Although the real fleshed developpement of the HL universe didn't really start before HL2, there are definitely story elements subtely exposed for eyes to see them.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Half Life was something of a pioneer in terms of ingame storytelling.

Problem is, HL pioneered so many gameplay conventions that you can't really enjoy it anymore. The bits of it that were good and innovative are found everywhere now, and so HL seems just kinda old by now.

You're not playing Torment for the graphics.

It's not really the graphics but the basic gameplay, they're generally based on a crude and direct translation of tabletop mechanics, an approach which just doesn't work due to the basic differences in the position of humans in the system.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

The 7th Guest
Betrayal at Krondor
Day of the Tentacle
Doom
Iron Helix
Master of Orion
Myst

The only two games on that list that haven't aged hideously are Day of the Tentacle and X-Wing.

If we're judging excitement about a year in video gaming doesn't it make sense judge each year relative to themselves first? Otherwise every year is going to be OMG BEST YEAR by virtue of games just getting old.

Not necessarily. Homeworld and Freespace haven't really aged badly, although that might just be because of the genres sitting in stasis for a decade.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
On average? Not at all. There's still classics galore that warrant a replay (Final Fantasy VI/III! Super Mario Land! Donkey Kong Country! Secret of Mana! Secret of Evermore!) but the vast majority of games will be only interesting for historical reasons now, I would imagine.
How can you mention SNES games but forget Chrono Trigger? Just because it got ported to later platforms, or what?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because it's one of those games that I always hear amazing things about, but haven't played or watched being played personally.

Offline Lorric

Because it's one of those games that I always hear amazing things about, but haven't played or watched being played personally.
Same here.

It's just not available on anything I have, but it keeps popping up year after year in places, and nobody ever has anything but glowing praise for it.

So it's something that I would normally watch someone let's play, but instead I leave it alone on the off chance I'll ever get a chance to get it so it doesn't get spoiled. So I know basically nothing about it except everyone thinks it's amazing.