Author Topic: 2014 is going to be really really good  (Read 11331 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: 2014 is going to be really really good
Because it's one of those games that I always hear amazing things about, but haven't played or watched being played personally.
You really should at some point.  I'm not a huge fan of RPGs in general, to say nothing of the J-variety, but I loved the hell out of it.  Actually I think playing it first really spoiled Final Fantasy VI for me, because it feels really plodding in comparison.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
And then there's Tales of Phantasia and Front Mission, which didn't see English releases during the SNES era, but both kicked off excellent franchises (and are still very good games in their own right, if you can find a translated ROM, or just get one of the later ports).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Seiken Densetsu 3, anyone? One of my favourite RPGs from the age of the SNES, and IMO deserves more love. The predecessor Secret of Mana was pretty damn good as well.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's not really the graphics but the basic gameplay, they're generally based on a crude and direct translation of tabletop mechanics, an approach which just doesn't work due to the basic differences in the position of humans in the system.
Are you seriously saying as a 'fact' that the basic gameplay of games like baldur's gate/icewind dale/fallout doesn't work? I sure hope you aren't (that im somehow misreading your post), cause that would be... how to put this nicely... retarded.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
hate to break it to you man but half-life and every isometric RPG ever have aged horribly
Baldur's Gate 2 has not aged horribly.
hate to break it to you man but half-life and every isometric RPG ever have aged horribly
You're not playing Torment for the graphics.

It's not really the graphics but the basic gameplay, they're generally based on a crude and direct translation of tabletop mechanics, an approach which just doesn't work due to the basic differences in the position of humans in the system.
The gameplay actually holds up perfectly well, but you're not playing Torment for the combat either. You know damn well why Torment was and always will be a great game. Same goes for Xenogears.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I didn't realize how good 1998 was, but even 1998 can't hold a candle to 1993:

The 7th Guest
Betrayal at Krondor
Day of the Tentacle
Doom
Iron Helix
Master of Orion
Myst
X-Wing (the ur-FreeSpace)

And that doesn't include the various sequels such as Space Quest V, Wing Commander: Privateer, etc.

The only two games on that list that haven't aged hideously are Day of the Tentacle and X-Wing. The same cannot be said for any of the games I listed excepting possibly Half Life and Grim Fandango. Sorry, but my childhood beats your childhood :P

Sorry, but childhood nostalgia was not the only criteria I used. :p  All of the above games established major franchises or advanced the state-of-the-art in a major way.
You get points for innovation but I care much more about raw quality. So again, IMO, by today's standards, only X-Wing and Day of the Tentacle hold up.

If you're curious I consider Metroid to be the oldest game that's any good.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Care to explain why you omitted Myst again? Didn't play it, or what? :)
The original is still really pretty (if not to the point of the later ones), and there's a 3D remake (RealMyst) that looks even better.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
X-Wing (the ur-FreeSpace)

...no, I'm pretty sure if you want to trace lineage like that, then that'd make Battlehawks 1942 the ur-FreeSpace. (Because the development of that lead to the development of Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain, which lead to the development of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, which is what convinced them they had the chops to make X-Wing.)

Well, no, if you want to go back further than X-Wing, Wing Commander is the ur-ur-FreeSpace.  Chris Roberts actually approached Lucasfilm to make a game based on Star Wars, but they wouldn't give him the license, so he came up with his own universe.  Flight sims and space sims are rather distinct.

You get points for innovation but I care much more about raw quality. So again, IMO, by today's standards, only X-Wing and Day of the Tentacle hold up.

Pbhh.  If you care about raw quality, go start up Betrayal at Krondor this minute.  You can get it for $5.99 at GOG.  It's like playing a novel.  An exceptionally good sword-and-sorcery novel.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Flight sims and space sims are rather distinct.

Except in this case they're not. As I said, and as you apparently ignored, it was the successful creation of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe that lead directly to the creation of X-Wing. There are two reasons; the first was that SWOTL reached a wide enough audience, and the second was the successful implementation of the multiple-turret many-overlapping-field-of-fire B-17 in a balanced way.

The engines actually share more than a few similarities, including a particular maneuver that the AI doesn't know how to respond to and will lock up when you perform.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

I was being slightly facetious regarding Half Life's "lack" of a story, and I agree with The_E's assessment of its qualities.... I just didn't like the story and for the most 99% of the game's time, there is little story to contend with. Mostly it's a Quake 2 with more brains and better puzzles.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
We'll it would be seeing as it's quake 2 based.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Luis Dias

No it wasn't. It was developed with Quake I's engine and it was intended to be released in direct competition with Q2 (before the delays kept that objective to come to reality). Its first ... 3/5 hours or so were brilliant. Just pure brilliancy. Then it kinda peaks and goes downhill pretty fast. It goes "huh this is like Quake2 now" to "huh this is like Duke Nukem now" to "Huh this is like Super Mario now". Its immersive atmosphere just goes away and when we reach Xen I just stopped caring at all about it (I think I never went through any Xen level).

(Look at me now, dissing one of the most revolutionary games ever made! Yeah, I know it sounds arrogant on my part, and it probably is! I just compare it with, say, MDK2, which never gets boring or un-immersive, never "peaks" the same way and it always gets more and more interesting until the end).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I used to use quake two's pak editing tools and rad variant light compilers to make my worldcraft levels in halflife :wtf:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Seiken Densetsu 3, anyone? One of my favourite RPGs from the age of the SNES, and IMO deserves more love. The predecessor Secret of Mana was pretty damn good as well.

Woot! And Earthbound too, even though the graphics really show their age, the game is still awesome.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Woot! And Earthbound too, even though the graphics really show their age, the game is still awesome.

I must be one of those people who don't find older graphics offensive....

Anywho. 

Mother 2 was recently released on the WiiStore, for those who don't have a copy.

These are also relevant to how awesome it is:

http://earthbound.nintendo.com/message/

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/marcus-lindblom-earthbound/all/

Are you seriously saying as a 'fact' that the basic gameplay of games like baldur's gate/icewind dale/fallout doesn't work? I sure hope you aren't (that im somehow misreading your post), cause that would be... how to put this nicely... retarded.

Well yes, because in tabletop RPGs you run through all the numbers yourself and the process of calculation is engaging all by itself; in a computer RPG you're just watching as a bunch of stats get munched through an automated calculator and the numbers themselves aren't very interesting.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I love X-wing, but I just got it working on my computer a month or so ago and I can't honestly say it holds up very well. There is just way too much waiting for something to happen/crawling towards distant targets. I don't mind slow paced works of art, but sitting around watching a number tick down isn't my ideal form of gameplay.

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
This year we have Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV, X: Rebirth, Beyond: Two Souls, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, ARMA 3 and Dota 2.

In 2014 I'm looking forward to WildStar, Dreamfall Chapters, Planetary Annihilation, The Long Dark, Swords of Edo, Phantasy Star Nova, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, Project Eternity, DayZ, Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls and Super Smash Bros. 4.

Sounds like a good year indeed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:37:24 pm by Nakura »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Flight sims and space sims are rather distinct.

Except in this case they're not. As I said, and as you apparently ignored, it was the successful creation of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe that lead directly to the creation of X-Wing. There are two reasons; the first was that SWOTL reached a wide enough audience, and the second was the successful implementation of the multiple-turret many-overlapping-field-of-fire B-17 in a balanced way.

Very well, if they served as a ramp-up to X-Wing, either in technical implementation or marketing, then that's fine.  But you in turn apparently ignored my counter-argument in favor of Wing Commander.

The engines actually share more than a few similarities, including a particular maneuver that the AI doesn't know how to respond to and will lock up when you perform.

Interesting.  Which maneuver is that?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I used to try to hide by capital ships falcon pre-bespin style.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.