Author Topic: SUPERHOT  (Read 4489 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Dude.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82910.msg1711075#msg1711075

Redundancy much ?

Also, those assholes are still azerty-phobe.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

Oh sorry :D. Haven't lurked that thread for a looooong time now.

Also, those assholes are still azerty-phobe.

It's a hastily-assembled prototype. Non-QWERTY keyboard layouts were the last of their concerns while making it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

It's a hastily-assembled prototype. Non-QWERTY keyboard layouts were the last of their concerns while making it.

This. Also, isn't it fairly easy to swap your keyboard layout, at least long enough to play a quick game?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

This. Also, isn't it fairly easy to swap your keyboard layout, at least long enough to play a quick game?
You can swap your keyboard layout, easily enough, but the physical keys won't magically change positions, so the confusion remains unless one pulls them off and swaps them around, too.

Not really "fairly easy", and not something one does to "play a quick game."
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

well i mean if you're going to bring it up as a bugbear you should consider looking into ways of solving it on your end; making a smooth keyboard layout transition isn't that hard and there are probably utilities that can do it for you
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
well i mean if you're going to bring it up as a bugbear you should consider looking into ways of solving it on your end; making a smooth keyboard layout transition isn't that hard and there are probably utilities that can do it for you
It's not a problem on my end; I was just pointing out that if the game assumes your keyboard is QWERTY, it won't matter what you set your keyboard layout to.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Is the problem that the game uses the actual input for WASD, however they're spread out on your keyboard? Or is it that you don't know where WASD would be on a QWERTY keyboard if you did switch the profile? (Addressed to Matth and other AZERTY users)

Pre-edit: I switched my keyboard layout to French AZERTY, to see what you were talking about. Using the actual WASD keys would be pretty awkward, but using a keyboard profile for US QWERTY should handily replace your Z and Q keys to work correctly with the game. ZQSD and space are basically the only keys you should need to play the game, and they're likely what you already use to play shooters, yeah?
(For QWERTY keyboarders: the W key is switched with the Z key, and the Q and A keys are reversed)

Offline Davros

Has some released a game that wont let you rebind the keys ?
If so they should be slapped hard

Has some released a game that wont let you rebind the keys ?
If so they should be slapped hard

Quote from: Shamus Young
I Should probably add a feature to let the player remap their controls, although something like that can take as long as the rest of the interface combined. The game then needs to “know” what all keys are called on every possible keyboard and joystick, and must allow you to change any of them to any other while recognizing collisions, confirming changes, and gracefully handling people who switch between keyboard and joystick. None of this is difficult in a technical sense, but it’s CRAZY time consuming to get it just right.

Worse, it’s a really time-consuming feature that will only be used by a minority of players. This isn’t System Shock 2, where you have complex inventory screens and weapon selection and powersets. You move and you shoot. That shouldn’t need to be re-mapped. Except that many people are using (say) AZERTY keyboards where WASD aren’t arranged in a gameplay-friendly inverted T. It would save me days of work if I could detect keyboards and select reasonable presets, but I’m not sure how to do it or how reliable it would be. I could also support the arrow keys as a way of avoiding this problem, but then what about laptops?

Basically, the costs and benefits are all over the place. There’s no way it’s worth days and days of fussy interface-building work to make key-mapping available for the one potential customer who is using an AZERTY laptop with no arrow keys who doesn’t own a USB dual analog controller. But I have no idea what other kinds of esoteric usability issues might be out there.

Offline Luis Dias

So I guess mapping the arrow keys as well as the wasd is just something that eludes this guy's imagination? I wouldn't have guessed that fact from the game itself, which seems rather original and imaginative, but I'm always ready to be corrected.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
So I guess mapping the arrow keys as well as the wasd is just something that eludes this guy's imagination? I wouldn't have guessed that fact from the game itself, which seems rather original and imaginative, but I'm always ready to be corrected.

if(!comprehended_reading){
  GOTO http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85619.msg1712791#msg1712791;
}
else{
  threadEnjoyment = true;
  nuke(theWorld);
}

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
SUPER
HOT
UPDATE

KICKSTARTURRRRRR

A very successful one too!

Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
wow, awesome concept. I loved the demo.
el hombre vicio...

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Friend got me to try the prototype and I watched an Irishmen play through it on Youtube XD
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.