Author Topic: Freespace on Ubuntu  (Read 2897 times)

Ok I know its been a while since I was on here, but my computer running windows Vista died and I had to build a new one, well I tried Vista on it and had no problems until I tried updating, them vista took a massive unrecoverable dump, so now I am running what I consider a better O/S, ....I got Ubuntu 13.10, problem is when I bought Freespace from GOG I got windows version, How can I run it on Ubuntu?
Is there a Freespace for Linux? Its bad enough I gotta start over again, but I want to be able to play, I need my freespace fix :) I had all mods working on windows, and that's what I want on LInux
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
this may also help with building from source:  http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Guide_to_FS_Open_on_Linux
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Thank you gentlemen, I will start working on it as soon s I get some more coffee :)

if you're on ubuntu it should pretty much amount to 'copy and paste these things onto the command line'*

* unless you're trying to build a BP-compatible version. In that case, god have mercy upon you
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

* unless you're trying to build a BP-compatible version. In that case, god have mercy upon you

Mwah...

if you're on ubuntu it should pretty much amount to 'copy and paste these things onto the command line'*

Me Build? no way I could ever do that, unless its something physical then yea I can build just about anything, houses, cars. barns buildings.etc........

Don't worry, building stuff on Ubuntu should require little more than the ability to copy things onto the command line. If you're on IRC to ask for immediate guidance you can't really go wrong.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Even if I'm slightly terminal phobic?

Ok guys here's a good on, if I install "Play on Linux" and wine can I run Freespace like I did on windows?
Cause I have both and all my old stuff runs fine using that except WOT, and I think that's because of a video setting
And I DO NOT want to re install Windows at ll because I love Linux WAY MORE, to the point that if I ever do get a brand new computer it will either have Linux pre installed or else I will be voiding a warranty
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:43:47 pm by wolfen »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I played all of Wing Commander: The Darkest Dawn on Linux using WINE, so normal FSO should work as well.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Good, thanks Freespace is still my all time favorite game

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Even if I'm slightly terminal phobic?
And I DO NOT want to re install Windows at ll because I love Linux WAY MORE
ಠ_ಠ
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

I can't help with your terminal phobia beyond saying that building things is a very gentle way to get started with it. It doesn't really require any prior experience.

You do not want to be running FSO on Wine. It might work initially, but Wine is prone to weird failures that are way more scary to deal with than using the command line.

Then I need to start slowly with the command lines and get fear my fear of messing something up .

Offline MarkN

Why are you all trying to make this so complicated. I just downloaded the Linux FSOpen executable and the YAL launcher, copied them to my Freespace 2 folder, and ran the launcher. I have a retail copy, so producing the freespace 2 folder in the first place will be different from the way I did it, but I have seen mention that the GOG installer works in Wine. 

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:)

I can confirm that the retail installer works under wine.

And if you're looking for executables, I have links to some pre-built ones for some distros in my .sig.
----
----

I hereby switch my advice to "use niffiwan's executables". Don't use Wine for ****'s sake

I gotta try something either way ....wine....or Play on Linux...or learning the terminal because the other games I cant get to run

Offline Luis Dias

I have an ubuntu old laptop too but I wouldn't try to play FSO with it by a mile.

I have the Windows laptop for that ****.

And yeah, I didn't install ubuntu for the command line. Seriously linux people should stop thinking about linux as the "OS of the command line". I know people like to feel all matrixy and the likes, but most people just seriously have no time or patience to develop that kind of skill. We just want things "to work". And I dare say it's precisely because of this gap that most people buy macbooks instead of installing ubuntu or debian or whatever.

The big problem of course is that the people who are sufficiently talented to contribute to the linux development are mostly skilled geeks who love command lines...