Author Topic: MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries  (Read 14415 times)

Re: MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries
Having never touched any of the MW games after 2, how does Mech construction work in multi?  Do I have to unlock stuff, or do I get the full range of stuff to tinker with from first launch?
You get the full range of stuff from first launch, no ranking up or unlocking necessary.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Having never touched any of the MW games after 2, how does Mech construction work in multi?  Do I have to unlock stuff, or do I get the full range of stuff to tinker with from first launch?
This game was made long before it was in vogue to "unlock" things for multiplayer. You get instant access to every 'Mech (and Battle Armor, with the MekPaks) and every weapon right from the get-go; it uses the same loadouts that you use for Instant Action.

The MechLab works very differently than it does for MW2, though. You can no longer do things like strip out internal components in order to mount an obscene number of weapons on a Light 'Mech :P. Instead, each 'Mech has a limited number of weapon slots that can mount a specific type of weapon (although there are also "combo" slots; "Omni" slots, which were in the original game, allow you to mount any kind of weapon there; "Direct Fire" slots let you mount either Energy or Ballistic weapons, "Heat-Generating" slots mount either Energy or Missile weapons, and "Ammo-Consuming" slots mount either Missile or Ballistic weapons). This gets rid of most of the hilariously stupid designs people would make in earlier MechWarrior games (although, as the "Dakkannihilator" and our own 10x Clan Ultra Autocannon/2 "DakkaMaster" Marauder II loadout demonstrate, there are still some hilariously stupid loadouts to be made out there :P).

im having trouble getting the game to recognize my ch gear. it just doesn't show up in the damn control screen.
I've never used anything but the keyboard to play MW4, sorry; only thing I can suggest is to try one of those joystick-to-keyboard programs, but that's lousy for turning and stuff.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
im having trouble getting the game to recognize my ch gear. it just doesn't show up in the damn control screen.
Combine the controllers into one (you can do that with CH CM) and make sure it recognizes the axes. Then assign buttons to keyboard keys. That's what I did, works wonderfully. I use pedals for turning the mech, joystick for torso twist an throttle for, well, throttle. It's amazingly immersive. :)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hurr.... Net Framework 3.5 doesn't want to install on my PC. Odd.

Will try it on the Laptop, as this look like a fun little game. Still I'll be sticking to singleplayer (given that I don't have acess to the router on my laptop) and that I?m playing a lot of Planetside 2 lately.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Combine the controllers into one (you can do that with CH CM) and make sure it recognizes the axes. Then assign buttons to keyboard keys. That's what I did, works wonderfully. I use pedals for turning the mech, joystick for torso twist an throttle for, well, throttle. It's amazingly immersive. :)

im using my old mw4 ch profiles, the ones i used last time i played mw4. but the virtual device doesn't show up in the dropdown box in the game's joystick configuration screen. i think its a win 7 thing. this is actually the first time the ch software let me down.

i always bind buttons to keys in the ch profiler (for any game). the idea behind that is that i can just set defaults in the game and all my buttons work out of the box. i still have to bind axes but that is usually pretty straight forward (if the game has default axis bindings, i make sure that the axes are remapped in the ch profile to match). its generally good practice to avoid using the ingame control mapper whenever possible.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:33:47 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

The second.

SP requires you to salvage or purchase items.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'll try to get it installed this weekend.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Yeah, but in SP you're a the leader of a merc corp, so buying new weapons makes sense.

P.S. Pick the Wolf's Dragoons as your sponsor if you plan on doing the campaign.  You start with Clan tech and have easy access to more as soon as you can afford it, and Clan weaponry is just so much better than IS equivalents it isn't funny.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think i solved my control problem, mw4 didnt like that my ch virtual device didnt have any buttons. so i just gave it a couple dummy buttons in the cms profile to make it happy and sure enough it showed up in the list.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Well, installation was an arduous process, but it's done.  Now I just have to get it set up.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Dertien

Sorry to revive this old thread, but for people who want to play this online, the easiest solution I found was to install Gameranger ( its free) and then you can join or create multiplayer matches on the fly. No need to tinker with the different ports, easy set up and play.

Also, the .mtx files are just zip files, If you don't trust the installer exe, just rename the files with .mtx extension to .zip and unzip them the old fashioned way in the right order according to the revision numbers.

Hope this helps.

Dertien
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:39:46 pm by Dertien »

Also, the .mtx files are just zip files, If you don't trust the installer exe, just rename the files with .mtx extension to .zip and unzip them the old fashioned way in the right order according to the revision numbers.

.mtx files are just zip files

zip files

* -Joshua- growls.

All that bloody...

Anyway, thanks Dertien :).

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been away from the forums for several weeks.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but for people who want to play this online, the easiest solution I found was to install Gameranger ( its free) and then you can join or create multiplayer matches on the fly. No need to tinker with the different ports, easy set up and play.
If people that don't have Gameranger can play with people that do, that sounds like an excellent solution.

Ah, not quite. The .mtx files are indeed zip archives, but every "patch" .mtx file contains extra data for patching large files without having to include the whole file; if you know how to use that data without using the MTX Extractor, please share. Otherwise, you'll be missing some of the changes from the patch.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline est1895

What about MechWarrior 4: Vengeance?  I don't have the Vengeance, but I still do have the Mercenaries on cd.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Vengeance wasn't very good and was never part of the free release (although there were plans for some sort of port of the Vengeance campaign to the Mercenaries engine, they never went anywhere before MekTek dropped the free release). Black Knight was slightly better than Vengeance, but still inferior to Mercenaries, let alone Mercenaries with extra 'Mechs and weapons. You're really not missing out.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Vengeance wasn't very good and was never part of the free release (although there were plans for some sort of port of the Vengeance campaign to the Mercenaries engine, they never went anywhere before MekTek dropped the free release). Black Knight was slightly better than Vengeance, but still inferior to Mercenaries, let alone Mercenaries with extra 'Mechs and weapons. You're really not missing out.

Actually Black Knight and Vengeance were both part of the final version of the free release, before MekTek crapped out. I am not sure they worked properly, however.

A Feddie Story

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Actually Black Knight and Vengeance were both part of the final version of the free release, before MekTek crapped out. I am not sure they worked properly, however.
You sure about that? I'm 99% sure that they never got around to releasing anything Vengeance- or Black Knight-related.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I downloaded the free release from a mirror, and there were neither Vengeance nor Black Knight in there. If there was a version released with those two, I'd like to have it, though (it was free, so mirroring it isn't wrong, IMO).

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I downloaded the free release from a mirror, and there were neither Vengeance nor Black Knight in there. If there was a version released with those two, I'd like to have it, though (it was free, so mirroring it isn't wrong, IMO).

Uh, it's not free anymore, and it would be wrong, because they lost the license through mismanagement.

I'll try to dig it out to confirm, but I suspect I've lost the original files and I didn't install Vengeance or Black Knight when I got them.

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, it's not free anymore, but it was released. It should have stayed free, what is wrong is making people pay for things that were supposed to be free. Especially given who the license went to I see no reason to see anything wrong with downloading MW4, as long as you stick to freely released versions.