Author Topic: MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries  (Read 14417 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries
Esarai, SpardaSon21, chief1983, and I have been playing MW4:Mercs quite a bit lately, and I thought I'd share with you all the latest development on this front:

A Hard-Light Brigade decal, helpfully converted by the wonderful HerraTohtori. You can download it here.

"What if I don't have MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries?" Well, you're in luck. A while back, I found my old installation media for the MW4:Mercs Free Release, and redownloaded what I was missing through the still-active torrents; have some helpful links:
MTX Extractor + MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries + 0030c hotfix (The "complete pack", as it were.)
Mechstorm MTX High-Definition Patch (Not really "high-def" by modern standards, but looks better than retail graphics.)
Hard-Light Brigade decal (Again, many thanks to HerraTohtori for making this; this goes in "\Mechwarrior Mercenaries - Mektek Mekpak\Content\Textures\customdecals\"; if the "customdecals" folder doesn't exist, which it won't before you join a server allowing custom decals, you can create it safely.)

If you don't want to download the whole, almost-2-GB MW4Mercs.7z archive, you can also just grab the MTX Extractor setup file, the 0030c hotfix setup file, and use these magnet links to grab the necessary .MTX archives:

[redacted]

If you're interested in multiplayer, you can always join #hlp-mw4 (on EsperNet, same as #hard-light and #freespace and all those fine channels).

Mercs multiplayer Co-op campaign map pack download - We often play these missions in multiplayer.

To make sure multiplayer works, if you're behind a router, you need to forward ports 2300-2400 (both TCP and UDP). For hosting games, you also need to forward ports 27999, 28800-28809, and 47624. There's also this interesting little tidbit in the readme:
Quote from: MekTek readme
You MUST set your connection speed to 56K in Connection Setup if you are playing as a client otherwise your online performance will suffer. If you are hosting a server, you can use higher rates, but anything over 384k should be avoided unless you are hosting on a LAN.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:43:57 am by AdmiralRalwood »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries
i tried to get the mektek version of mercenaries to work, but havent had much success. im all for big stompy mech action.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:16:32 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I never got the MW4 free release to work either, which is a damn shame in my opinion. I never got why Mektek just sticked to .exe installers and torrent files.

EDIT: Aside from that, thank you very much for releasing it here.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:56:22 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i got the thing installed. yay! ive actually been trying to find a copy that works for some time now.

so whats the play schedule like?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And I was literally just looking at this in my list of games. I am totally in.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
so whats the play schedule like?
Completely random. Easiest thing to do is just hop on #hlp-mw4 and see if anyone is interested (or even currently playing, as happened when Hobbie joined earlier).

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yep! Good times. We wound up creating the Ravana Loki and the Dakka Deimos. :P

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Dakka Deimos
That's just called "the Deimos". ;P

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've installed mine some time ago. Only played SP, though, I don't know if MP works.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I've installed mine some time ago.
By "some time ago", do you still mean "after the 0030c hotfix came out", or does it need updating?

Only played SP, though, I don't know if MP works.
To make sure multiplayer works, if you're behind a router, you need to forward ports 2300-2400 (both TCP and UDP). For hosting games, you also need to forward ports 27999, 28800-28809, and 47624. There's also this interesting little tidbit in the readme:
Quote from: MekTek readme
You MUST set your connection speed to 56K in Connection Setup if you are playing as a client otherwise your online performance will suffer. If you are hosting a server, you can use higher rates, but anything over 384k should be avoided unless you are hosting on a LAN.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Aesaar

Might just join you guys for this after my exam period is over.

Save me a Vulture.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I haven't played any Mech games excluding MechCommander in over a decade, but if this installs I am totally in.

Generally, what kind of times are you guys on?  Just wondering if I have any chance of running into you.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I haven't played any Mech games excluding MechCommander in over a decade, but if this installs I am totally in.

Generally, what kind of times are you guys on?  Just wondering if I have any chance of running into you.
I have been on at 3:00 AM before, so it really is more-or-less completely random. There's usually someone in the channel at all times, though whether or not anyone is at their keyboard is another question.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So I was inspired by my ten Clan MG Deimos idea and I wanted to see how far I could take the concept.

I succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Behold, the 16 HMG'd Dakkannihilator.

Cons:
-- Ammo consumption.
-- Butt ugly.
-- Slower than a three-legged sloth nailed to the floor.
-- Maximum fighting range is slightly shorter than a slap to the face.

Pros:
-- Jaunty pink colour scheme.
-- Zero heat.
-- Four free tons to play with once guns are equipped and Ferro Fibrous armor is maxed.
-- Murders absolutely everything in the room. Tested with an Atlas. It evaporated under ten seconds of sustained fire.

This kind of build can be done with anything with an abundance of ballistic and/or omni hardpoints. Clan MGs will give more tonnage and significantly more range but loses a third of the damage, so it's more practical but less omgwtfkill. Definitely worth trying, if only for the sheer hilarity.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:05:30 am by Hobbie »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken