Author Topic: Omnitech initial impressions and suggestions  (Read 1266 times)

Offline evilc

Omnitech initial impressions and suggestions
Hi, I recently tried omnitech and thought I would feed back on the project.
I am new to the MC series, but basically new to the MechWarrior franchise. I did have a copy of MCO from ages ago (1.x?), but I don't think I played it as it was too buggy.

BUGS
1) When loading a game, often the mech store is empty. I need to back up to mission selection, then go into the mission again and the mech store is then populated.

LACK OF INFO
1) I see no readme file in 304. I had an old copy of MCO, so I got some info from that, but I don't see much in the way of info on how to play the game. For example, in the support palette, there are no tooltips to say what each item is, so I have no idea what is what. Took me ages to work out how to salvage a mech.
2) Following on from (1), it was not trivial to work out how to change resolution to 1920x1200. A mode list needs to be included.

UI SHORTCOMINGS
The following hotkeys would be highly desirable:
1) Center view on selected unit.
2) Hold to drag (Hold button and move mouse to scroll). If you cannot add new options to bindings, hard-wiring it to MMB would be preferable.
3) A way of avoiding mis-clicks where you intend to issue an attack order but instead issue a move order. So something like adding a "attack only" hotkey that when held will ignore all clicks on terrain, and only obey clicks on enemies.

The mouse pan (RMB plus move) is too sensitive - some way to adjust this would be nice.

APPEARANCE
1) I have zero issue with low-poly models. What I do have issue with though, is the textures. I find it very hard when zoomed out to see the mechs properly on some terrains. I think some of the rock textrures need to be blurred a bit or something as they are too harsh.

OTHER
Not sure about some of this stuff, as I do not know how MC is "meant" to work.
1) Stacking orders.
It seems that by default, mechs will walk when given a command, for example if I click on another mech to attack it, my mech will walk towards it and attack. By holding SPACE, you can convert this to "run towards enemy and attack". By holding A, you can convert this to "attack enemy with energy weapons only".
Is it possible to stack the two? ie SPACE and A means "run at enemy and only attack with energy weapons".
2) As mentioned before, the support palette could do with tooltips.
3) Mech positioning seems wonky.
If I equip a mech with LRMs and PPCs, it seems to want to advance to inside LRM min distance. Ideally it should maintain an optimal distance so it can fire it's LRMs and PPCs - I dunno, maybe it is closing to get a better hit chance with the PPCs or something.

Overall though, great project. I have experience in software development, so if you would like assistance in implementing or testing any of the above features, let me know.

Thanks for all your work so far!