Author Topic: Death Star model?  (Read 9774 times)

Offline prometh

While I see progress on many unknown ships and "uglies", it makes me wonder whether anyone has made any Death Star models. Both versions are a very important part of the Star Wars universe.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:06:28 pm by prometh »

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
The Death Stars. Famous, yes. Important, not necessarily.  They are only important if they are needed. The Star Wars 'verse is much bigger than the Death Stars.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline prometh

The Death Stars are more important than a ZY-Wing, no?

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
In stories already told. I have little desire of flying a Death Star including campaign, as I know it would inevitably lead to a Battle of Yavin/Endor finale and I'd blow the thing up. Again. The official games did this more often than not and personally, I've grown weary of doing it.

It's time to move on from that and play something new and fresh. About the Uglies, I view them to be as important as the Death Stars in that they help build the star wars 'verse and in fact do a better job of world building than Death Stars. Death Stars are a single point in the canon of Star Wars, whereas there is an entire galaxy out there that can be created and explored and open to anyone to build on.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline prometh

The only time we've ever been able to play a Death Star run with full space sim controls was in the original X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance. The Rogue Squadron games were arcade style.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Also, those things are way too big to be more than background props. Skyboxes do that better, unless you want to do trench runs, in which case you only model the trench.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
As cool as a Death Star would be, I think it'd be a pretty massive and prominent project meaning that if there was one floating around here somewhere, everyone would know about it already. Unless of course someone intentionally didn't want everyone to know about it, in which case someone could have a Death Star but they still wouldn't admit to it now.

Just trying to keep a little optimism here. :lol:

Offline prometh

They managed it all in X-Wing, man.. it's surely possible

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Sure, it's possible. Still, it's not like whatever you see in X-wing isn't incredibly primitive, so doing something that'd otherwise match the visual quality of FotG would require a heck of a lot of work and all sorts of bizarre trickery. The engine's not exactly built to support things like that out-of-the-box.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
To build a Death Star to the level of quality everything else is being built, and to scale (because not having it to scale is for wusses), it would eat the FS2 engine and superlaser the remains. It's a LOT of data.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline prometh

it would eat the FS2 engine and superlaser the remains.
LOL

That's too bad, though.. it's been my dream to play such with modern graphics. Rogue Squadron games come close, but they're too arcade'y for my fantasy.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I remember someone (Omni?)  making a trench run video ages ago, more as a detail box proof-of-concept than anything else, but that wasn't exactly up to the visual standard that a legit mod release would need.  You pretty much would need to have it be just a skybox, or at the very best model a (relatively) small portion of it as terrain.

(I will say this though: even though it's an arcade style, given its age, Rogue Squadron 2 holds up extremely well graphically.)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
using detail box/spheres you could probably keep the rendering load down, especially while in the trench, would still be a massive undertaking though
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline prometh

What if the FCP team merged in a flight sim engine? Could be used for both the Death Star and planetary missions

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Omni's error with the Death Star and the trench run, was that he mistakenly believed that the trench was the equator groove and as such his model was too small by comparison.  That said, it WAS a proof-of-concept, as Mongoose pointed out, for detail boxes and it succeeded in that respect.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What if the FCP team merged in a flight sim engine? Could be used for both the Death Star and planetary missions

A google search of these very forums will probably show you numerous times when merging in other engines has been proposed in the past, and what follows is usually a long technical explanation of why not, so I won't bother to repeat any of those explanations here.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Sure, it's possible. Still, it's not like whatever you see in X-wing isn't incredibly primitive, so doing something that'd otherwise match the visual quality of FotG would require a heck of a lot of work and all sorts of bizarre trickery. The engine's not exactly built to support things like that out-of-the-box.
Well, I once tested a proof-of-concept version you made. Not an entirely flawless implementation, and could use a better model set, but I liked how it ran. :) I might still have it, actually.

Indeed, the biggest problem is getting a FoTG-quality Death Star. I once toyed with an idea of an AU campaign involving multiple superbomber raids (not by Rebels, it introduced a few new players into the war) against DSII's important points, like hangars, superlaser and Emperor's tower. The mission concept turned out to be completely unfeasible due to sheer size of the thing. Even just basing the player off Death Star (which I also wanted to do) would be rather hard to do well. If I ever return to the idea, I'll probably end up splitting the DSII's role between Executor and Eclipse, with anything involving DSII happening in the background/behind the scenes. FS engine isn't just suited for objects that big, especially if they're supposed to interact with the rest of the game. Inferno did have a huge Earth in back in retail, but it was just a prop, and you weren't getting close to it.

i m bad for liking battle of endors? :( they are the equivalent of space LOTR battles...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You're only bad if you like the bad ones (which is most but not all of them).

Offline Luis Dias

I love BoE's. To say "you can only like non-bad BoE's" is unnecessary. Just as I hate bad convoy missions or bad strike missions or whatever, bad BoE's are... bad!