Author Topic: Very Confused and new  (Read 1957 times)

Offline archer893

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Hello, I am following the instructions for getting set up for FSO, but every time I launch a build no launcher comes up, it simply logs into the game directly and does not give me any chance to make any changes or set any actual settings, can some one please help.

For reference I am using Windows 7 64-bit, the GOG version of the game and my root directory is C:/GOGGames/Freespace2 with the release there, I have tries 3.6.18 as well as the new 3.7.0 but cannot quite seem to get it to work, please provide assistance for a newbie.  Thank you for your time guys and I look forward to hearing back from you all

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Are you trying to start the build by clicking Launcher.exe? You're not supposed to start the build by its executable directly. If you're missing the launcher, you can find the Launcher 5.5g for windows here:  http://swc.fs2downloads.com/files/Launcher55g.zip

Also don't forget to set the target executable in the launcher (by the browse option on top of it) to your desired build. If you're new and all it would be best if that wasn't anything but fs_open_3_7_0.exe.

Usually new people here get a welcome beam, but I am too tired and lazy right now to provide one. Welcome anyway. ;)
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Lorric

The launcher's in your Freespace 2 folder. It's called Launcher and the icon looks like a black animal paw.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
In order to make Freespace Open work you need 4 things

• Freespace 2
  • Fresspace Open executable
  • Community Launcher
  • Open al

while you have 1 and 2, the third will have to be downloaded as the retail launcher is not able to use 90% of the changes to how FSO launches, you need a community build launcher to access these.

While you can use the one Sarkoth mentions that launcher is no longer being developed in favour of wxLauncher which has improved cross platform compatibility and is easier to add/remove/update capabilities.

You will also need a version of Open AL if you haven't already installed it which is an audio library that FSO builds use to interface with your sound card.

if you havent already followed it then this post is probably the best thing you can follow to set up the game
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Re: Very Confused and new
Sometimes at the first time, looks difficult, but when you know the process and using the great tools and installers becomes easy.   :)