Author Topic: WARGAME: RED DRAGON  (Read 31468 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
yeah that was probably a Sovremenny. Unrelated, I kinda wish you could resupply helicopters on ships that have helipads. I'm also kind of surprised they have Udaloy II but no Arleigh Burke.

Look real close at that Kongo.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Refering to this one:
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/251060/ss_5e17e3c539e3823fe20952ec5b58fe6a5566e869.1920x1080.jpg?t=1398114093

ah, i was looking at something else. That's a Udaloy II.

yeah that was probably a Sovremenny. Unrelated, I kinda wish you could resupply helicopters on ships that have helipads. I'm also kind of surprised they have Udaloy II but no Arleigh Burke.

Look real close at that Kongo.

Hmm. They are indeed modified Arleigh Burkes; I did not know that.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Apparently I'm not allowed to load savegames I make anymore... any new ones are corrupted and the game CTDs whenever I try to load them.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:32:22 pm by Nemesis6 »

Offline Aesaar

What happens when a pair of T-80Us have flanking shots on an enemy push?

This:

I love how you can have 2x3 of them now.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
What are your guys' usernames on RD? I'm still 'Polpolion'.

My name is "moerasgrizzly".

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
For some odd reason I literally cannot get my units to initiate a landing strategically. I'm missing something obvious.

Username is the same as it ever was; "NGTM-1R".

Japanse F-86s aren't as cool as Korean ones, but I've fallen in love with their top-end ATGM.

Also learned to hate the fact radar AAMs can't be used against helos. The Japanese are overflowing with Sparrows which are usually absolutely useless.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
There's a 'disembark' button it took me a while to find.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
For some odd reason I literally cannot get my units to initiate a landing strategically. I'm missing something obvious.

To many of your grunts barfed and the AAV crews passed out from the smell.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
:eek: You can have six T-80Us?!?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Aesaar

:eek: You can have six T-80Us?!?
Yes.  It's glorious.

In other news, CAESARs are awesome.  French 155mm truck artillery.  Very precise, fast firing, and doesn't take ages to aim like 203mm (which is pretty much the only thing as accurate).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:57:09 pm by Aesaar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I finally got to play this game a bunch and it is, in fact, fun as hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We been playing this a bunch on mumble. I can't get in games until fairly late EST (I'm on PST), but if you get on #bp and ask around you'll stand a good chance of finding someone who wants to play.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'd play it if it didn't cost 40 euros on Steam... It's probably worth it, but I simply can't spare the functional equivalent of about 170$ right now (did I mention my country's money is worthless?). Still, I'll grab it once the price comes down a bit, or it gets a 75% discount on a sale (might get ALB in the meantime, if it gets 75% off someday it'll be 5 euros, pretty cheap even here).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I hang out a bit with the Goon Wargame crew, and they've been building a set of analytic tools to automatically calculate balance stats from the game data. The developers themselves apparently don't have any tools like this, which explains a whole lot about some of their odd patch decisions. The Wargoons are in touch with them, so maybe this will lead to cool balance patches coming up.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Out of curiosity, and perhaps someone has a better build than I, I'm wondering what people's layouts for the Korea campaign are. Unit placement, that is. You don't quite have enough infantry for my taste. I'm trying to juggle it to something reasonable and failing; it takes days, often many of them, but my East Flank always goes under eventually.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The key is to knock out all the AA on the eastern sector. Then you can hold that flank with only a couple command units, a couple recon choppers, and the F86 squadron, which is insanely powerful.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Knocking out AA is indeed the way to play.  And also enemy air.  Generally when I play the east flank, I play mostly defense, and use the rocket arty and some careful recon to knock it out without endangering the unhelpfully fragile APCs your infantry need.  Generally an F-86 can take one of the NK AA missiles and keep flying, so I risk a flyby to draw out where the missile came from and then immediately evac.  Doing that tactic takes a while, and you definitely need to micro which direction the jet passes.

My strategy for West flank is much simpler.  TOW trucks and gunships generally kill enough points worth of enemy to force them to regroup before they even get deep enough to threaten retaliation.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I god, I swapped east with west. My advice above is for the WESTERN flank around the pocket.

If we're talking northeast, that hellish flat open scrubland, I use attack choppers, an infantryunit, and K1s with F16 cover. They have a whole lot of cheap tanks, so it's very important to have room to fall back. Hold the crossroads with your infantry, and use K1s supported by ATGM choppers to push back their tank rushes.

The F16s are just there to take out the MIGs and antitank planes they like to bring in. Once the MIGs and AA are down I sometimes bring in the bomb truck F4s to clean up.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Good games tonight :toot: I played a couple excellent matches with guuns, including a hair-raising naval duel against a group of REDFOR pubbies that tested our anti-ship planes against their overwhelming Russian gun power.

Sparda and Scotty got up to some cool **** with America and Best Germany. We rolled some AI, facing down their insane zerg tactics and relentless zone pressure with steely resolve, Hellfires, and the occasional tragic desync.