Author Topic: Diaspora : Shattered Armistice patch 1.1 Release Candidate 1  (Read 29409 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Diaspora : Shattered Armistice patch 1.1 Release Candidate 1
But not everyone is having the problem, which means it's not easily-reproducible.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline VPR

Docking works fine in mission 3 but I can't dock on the next mission. I've tried a new pilot file again on advanced difficulty but I can't dock at the end of mission 4.

I've attached a debug log if it's any help. I tried docking in the port dorsal bay but I've not tried the others yet and I'll also try lowering the difficulty.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
But not everyone is having the problem, which means it's not easily-reproducible.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I couldn't land in the 1st mission under 1.0.4 once.  But it worked OK after replaying the mission or restarting FSO (I forget which one it was).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well this is exactly the sort of problem the event.log was designed to solve. Gimme a little bit, I'll upload a version of the mission that writes to the event log in an hour or two, as soon as I get back to my main PC.

EDIT : Okay you have three choices.

1) Run one of these missions until you can't land. Quit while you're still in a position you should be able to land.
2) Run a debug build. Get into a position where you should be able to land and then press ~ + Q. You Do not need to download a mission to do this.
3) Run a release build. Enter the cheat (www.freespace2.com IIRC). Get into a position where you should be able to land and then press ~ + Q. You Do not need to download a mission to do this.

Whichever you choose, I then need to get a look at the event.log you'll now have. It should tell me why the event isn't triggering.

NB. More details on 2 and 3 can be found here.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:31:52 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Keep in mind landing code is different between Easy, Normal, and Advanced+ difficulties so please post which you've tested on.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The log should make it clear which path was followed, but it would be nice not to have to look through the log and figure it out. :)

Offline VPR

Here you go, I've generated this by method 2 using the debug build on advanced difficulty for The Strike mission (SP-R1-M2.fs2). I think it was the starboard dorsal bay that I tried to land in but I don't think it worked in any of the other bays either.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The log is a little hard to read cause you appear to have actually used method 1 and downloaded the missions I gave you. But I can quite clearly see that the Theseus has already departed when the log ends so I don't know when exactly you were supposedly in a position to land. Can you please quit while the Theseus is still present (or use the option in 2) and take a snapshot of the events as they are when you think you have landed.

Assuming that you were in the pod at the second the Theseus jumped out, you were not in the right position based on what the log states. The log states that at that precise time, you were stationary but 77m from the closest fighterbay subsystem. Since the game was on insane, you actually need to be within the box defined in the Landing event and the log states that at that time you were not. It is possible the box is slightly too big. Another possibility is that since the patch includes an altered MK 7 pof the centrepoint has moved and now the centre is outside the box even when landed. Although that seems unlikely given that the MK VIIe seems to also exhibit this issue.

Offline VPR

Yeah I skim read the post so my mistake and I'll try again. Difficulty was set on medium before starting the mission not insane. I doubt this is relevant but I'm getting this during loading the mission.

Code: [Select]
Submodel <Seata> in model <Col_Viper_Mk7.pof> has a radius <= 0.1f

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_Diaspora_R1_Debug.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:12:50 am by VPR »

Offline VPR

I've used method 1 this time which I've attached the log below. Again it is saying I'm playing at hard in the log when it is definitely set to medium (advanced) in the game options.

I've docked again in the starboard dorsal (upper right) bay. Just to check, if things were working as intended where do I need to be in the bay to dock successfully as I'm trying to dock in the middle? Should I be able to dock in any of the bays in this mission?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, you should be able to dock in any of the bays.

The log is very helpful, for some reason, is-in-box is returning false, which means that either the box is too small, or the centre of the Viper has moved. Both of those shouldn't be too hard to test tomorrow.

Yeah, you should be able to dock in any of the bays.

The log is very helpful, for some reason, is-in-box is returning false, which means that either the box is too small, or the centre of the Viper has moved. Both of those shouldn't be too hard to test tomorrow.

In some of the missions I build the raptor wasn't able to land, just like the viper. So it's probably not the vipers' problem. I also played on normal difficulty.
I even increased the is-in-box size of the landing event (by changing the y values) but that didn't matter. Other is-in-box events did still worked properly.

I've reïnstalled diaspora to get an earlier version back to get rid of the issues.

There was another issue in Asheron mission 1 that caused the cargo carrier to continue moving, while it should have stopped. Now I've reïnstalled diaspora the cargo carrier does stop, while the mission file is unchanged..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:31:43 pm by kedrednael »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm attaching a test mission. See if you can land in this version. You'll get a message when you do it successfully.

Cause it works perfectly for me. If it doesn't work, post the log again.

Offline VPR

Thanks Kara, seems to be working now. I tested (on medium difficulty) all the bays in the Mk7 successfully but then I remembered the landings were fine in mission 3 in the Mk7 so in FRED I switched the player to a Mk7e and the landing message still appeared!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
So the test mission works but you still have problems with the real missions?

Offline VPR

Yes, basically I can land okay in mission 3 (SP-R1-M1) and the test mission but I can't land in mission 4 (SP-R1-M2).

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Sorry, was super busy. Replayed tutorial today, could land in tutorial 1 (automatic) and 2 (real combat landing).
 Anything else I can do to help? Should I also follow your steps?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It would help. All that is necessary is to enter the cheat as soon as you notice you can't land and then take a snapshot of the SEXPs.

What difficulty level are you playing on?

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Advanced, the 3rd of the five which is "Medium" in FS2. Will try to get that done tomorrow.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It only happens when I make the jump from Normal to Advanced. I can bounce along the flightpod runway as normal and not "collide", but my ship doesn't lock in place. Perfectly fine in the training missions, too. I'll check other missions to see if it works or not.

[EDIT] Okay, so far it's looking as though the issue is mission-specific. Played up to Desperation and I've had no issues with landing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:32:06 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta