13 (36.1%)
Might be a good idea
13 (36.1%)
I'm OK either way
5 (13.9%)
Don't do it!
5 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: A Hard Light Manifesto- [Rough Draft Posted]  (Read 9028 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: A Hard Light Manifesto- should we do it?
Hard-Light is its own manifesto.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
They say not to judge a book by its cover, but a pretty cover can still enrich the book.

That means yes, this is a great idea.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Just do it. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Rough Draft of the Manifesto
Here it is, up for feedback. This is important, so be honest. If it's terrible, tell me so, no uncertain terms. ANYTHING you think should be changed, say it. Be harsh if need be. I won't get upset as long as it's directed at the document, not at me.

Oh, and I'm not titling it "Manifesto" anymore.

Quote from: What is Hard Light Productions?
What is Hard Light Productions?
A brief introduction, for anyone who's curious.

1. What is FreeSpace?
   FreeSpace: The Great War and FreeSpace 2 are plot-driven space combat simulators, sharing a genre with popular series like X-wing/Tie Fighter and Wing Commander. Considered to be among the best of the genre, they are sadly among the last: no plot-driven space sims of significant quality have been released in years.
   In FreeSpace: The Great War (or FreeSpace 1), humanity (referred to as the Terrans) is locked in a fourteen-year war with an alien race, the Vasudans. This changes with the arrival of the Shivans, a species with unknown motives and powerful technology who launch a xenocidal invasion. Forced to co-operate against the Shivans, the Terran and Vasudan species attempt to defend their homeworlds against the Shivans and their seemingly invincible lead ship, the Lucifer.
   FreeSpace 2 is set 32 years later. The Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance is threatened by the Neo-Terran Front, an anti-Vasudan separatist faction lead by the cunning and mysterious Admiral Aken Bosch. In the midst of this struggle, the Neo-Terrans trigger the arrival of a second Shivan armada, even stronger than the first. The enigma of the Shivans deepens as the alliance desperately fights to contain this new threat.

2. What is Hard Light Productions?
   We are the primary fan community for the FreeSpace series, dedicated to keeping these games alive through modding, fan-made campaigns, and good old-fashioned playing. Because FreeSpace 2's source code has been publicly released by its creators, HLP has functioned as caretakers of the source code, using it to upgrade the games' graphics to modern standards while enhancing the game's already significant potential for user-made mods and campaigns.

3. Why is FreeSpace significant after all these years?
   Three major factor explain FreeSpace's longevity. First, the fact that the genre has seen few or no proper entries in years. To enjoy a space sim, you need to go back to the classics.
   Second, the quality of the original games, which combine robust and exciting gameplay with a fascinating story. The origin and motives of the Shivans remain a popular topic for debate and speculation.
   Third, FreeSpace's potential for user-made material. FreeSpace came packaged with the FreeSpace Editor (FRED), a powerful tool for creating your own missions and campaigns. The release of the source code made the creation and use of mods (ranging from new ships and weapons to upgrades to the AI to complete total conversions based on other franchises) much easier. Whether you choose to make and publish your own creations or simply enjoy the vast library of excellent campaigns made by others, there's no denying that HLP's fan works are an essential part of what keeps us a strong fan community.

4. Sounds cool! Can I join?
HLP is home to a wide variety of fans. Moders, mission designers, ship modelers, coders, and ordinary players are all welcome, and we're always happy to have new members. So yes, feel free!

Links:
Good Old Games: a 100% legal, DRM-free site that sells both FreeSpace games for cheap. HLP recommends buying FreeSpace here, rather than getting it from other, less legal sources. Thanks to the work of the FSPort team, you don't even need to buy the first FreeSpace: just buy FreeSpace 2 for $10.

Official New People Thread: Exactly what is says on the tin! Introduce yourself, ask for starting directions, and be saluted by our welcome beams.

Installing FreeSpace Open (wiki page): how to install the source code upgrade, allowing you to play these classic games in modern graphical glory. Remember: the upgrade is not a stand-alone. You need to have a legal copy of FreeSpace 2 first!

Karajorma's FreeSpace FAQ: Extensive information covering everything from modding tricks to fan customs.

Battuta's Guide to finding your first (or next!) campaign: A incomplete(able) but very useful guide to some of our best campaigns. Not sure what to play? Look at the guide and see what sounds interesting- the variety is incredible!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:41:06 am by InsaneBaron »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Re: A Hard Light Manifesto- [Rough Draft Posted]
:yes:

I have a question, though: what do you mean by "plot-driven" space sims?

Also, you should definitely add references to TCs as one of the reasons why people should come here. The FS continuity may have lost its appeal over the years, but tell people they can play for free an indie based on BSG and they'll change their mind. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
:yes:

I have a question, though: what do you mean by "plot-driven" space sims?

Also, you should definitely add references to TCs as one of the reasons why people should come here. The FS continuity may have lost its appeal over the years, but tell people they can play for free an indie based on BSG and they'll change their mind. :)

Plot-driven as opposed to loose sandboxes like Privateer or FreeLancer, or MMOs like EVE or Star Citizen.

I think TCs would fall under mods, but it's still a good point. Let me see where that would fit in.
Side note: I'm reluctant to mention any specific campaign or mod here. This is more of a general explanation. I'll leave the specific campaigns to Battuta's Guide.

EDIT: And I would hardly say that the FS continuity has lost it's appeal- if it had, we wouldn't be here, and we wouldn't have Blue Planet and suchlike.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:29:51 am by InsaneBaron »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Plot-driven as opposed to loose sandboxes like Privateer or FreeLancer, or MMOs like EVE or Star Citizen.

I see. I don't think it's necessary, but it does no harm at all.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I was just trying to be specific, since the term "space sim", while traditionally identified with X-wing/Tie Fighter, Wing Commander, and FreeSpace, is technically a pretty broad term compassing things like EVE Online, which is more recent but in a very different genre.

Which call my attention to a spelling error.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It's sad that nowadays saying "space sim" may lead people to think about a genre of games that are so different compared to the classics we all love. I'm not saying that Star Citizen and EVE Online are bad games, it's just that they belong to a subgenre while games like FreeSpace and Colony Wars should be considered the real space simulators.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
It's sad that nowadays saying "space sim" may lead people to think about a genre of games that are so different compared to the classics we all love. I'm not saying that Star Citizen and EVE Online are bad games, it's just that they belong to a subgenre while games like FreeSpace and Colony Wars should be considered the real space simulators.

Precisely. Star citizen is great, but while the setting is similar and the flight gameplay looks like it'll bring in nostalgia, it isn't in the same genre any more than Star Wars BattleFront and Star Wars Galaxies are in the same genre because both involve controlling a soldier and shooting.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's wordy, stiff, and probably a little long. I took a hatchet to it but stuck more or less to your words.

=

1. What is FreeSpace?
FreeSpace: The Great War and FreeSpace 2 are mission-based space combat simulators, like X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. Among the greatest games of the genre, they were also effectively the last.

The FreeSpace series follows humanity and their Vasudan allies as they fight to withstand the xenocidal, enigmatic Shivans, a species of unknown origin, vast technological capability, and seemingly limitless malice.

HLP is a fan community built on love and open-source code. Thanks to Volition's generosity, we've continued development of FreeSpace 2 as FreeSpace Open, building graphical enhancements to bring the original games up to modern standards, telling new stories set in the FreeSpace universe and original worlds, and creating spectacular total conversions that let players fly in the beloved universes of Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Wing Commander, and Star Wars.

First, the original games were fantastic - a complete package of snappy gameplay, strong writing, and excellent voice casting (particularly in FreeSpace 2). The series' cliffhanger ending triggered years of debate and imagination.

Second, FreeSpace is really easy to mod, and we've only made it easier. FRED, the FreeSpace editor, is a powerful, easy-to-learn tool for mission-building. You can create anything from your wild beam-fueled apocalypse dreams to BioWare-style RPG conversations, from stirring cutscenes to taco shopping. Whether you choose to make and publish your own creations or simply enjoy the vast library of excellent campaigns made by others, there's no denying that HLP's fan works are an essential part of what keeps us a strong fan community.

Lastly, we just haven't seen anything as good as FreeSpace. While the open-world space sim genre has done all right, with FreeLancer, X, and Eve Online among its notables, there simply haven't been any good mission-driven space sims.

HLP welcomes all sorts. Whether you want to make missions, build ships, code improvements to the engine, or simply play play play - we want you on board.

Links:
Good Old Games: a 100% legal, DRM-free site that sells both FreeSpace games for cheap. HLP recommends buying FreeSpace here, rather than getting it from other, less legal sources. Thanks to the work of the FSPort team, you don't even need to buy the first FreeSpace: just buy FreeSpace 2 for $10.

Official New People Thread: Exactly what is says on the tin! Introduce yourself, ask for starting directions, and be saluted by our welcome beams.

Installing FreeSpace Open (wiki page): how to install the source code upgrade, allowing you to play these classic games in modern graphical glory. Remember: the upgrade is not a stand-alone. You need to have a legal copy of FreeSpace 2 first!

Karajorma's FreeSpace FAQ: Extensive information covering everything from modding tricks to fan customs.

Battuta's Guide to finding your first (or next!) campaign: A incomplete(able) but very useful guide to some of our best campaigns. Not sure what to play? Look at the guide and see what sounds interesting- the variety is incredible!

Cut about 150 words.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
It's wordy, stiff, and probably a little long. I took a hatchet to it but stuck more or less to your words.

=

1. What is FreeSpace?
FreeSpace: The Great War and FreeSpace 2 are mission-based space combat simulators, like X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. Among the greatest games of the genre, they were also effectively the last.

The FreeSpace series follows humanity and their Vasudan allies as they fight to withstand the xenocidal, enigmatic Shivans, a species of unknown origin, vast technological capability, and seemingly limitless malice.

HLP is a fan community built on love and open-source code. Thanks to Volition's generosity, we've continued development of FreeSpace 2 as FreeSpace Open, building graphical enhancements to bring the original games up to modern standards, telling new stories set in the FreeSpace universe and original worlds, and creating spectacular total conversions that let players fly in the beloved universes of Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Wing Commander, and Star Wars.

First, the original games were fantastic - a complete package of snappy gameplay, strong writing, and excellent voice casting (particularly in FreeSpace 2). The series' cliffhanger ending triggered years of debate and imagination.

Second, FreeSpace is really easy to mod, and we've only made it easier. FRED, the FreeSpace editor, is a powerful, easy-to-learn tool for mission-building. You can create anything from your wild beam-fueled apocalypse dreams to BioWare-style RPG conversations, from stirring cutscenes to taco shopping. Whether you choose to make and publish your own creations or simply enjoy the vast library of excellent campaigns made by others, there's no denying that HLP's fan works are an essential part of what keeps us a strong fan community.

Lastly, we just haven't seen anything as good as FreeSpace. While the open-world space sim genre has done all right, with FreeLancer, X, and Eve Online among its notables, there simply haven't been any good mission-driven space sims.

HLP welcomes all sorts. Whether you want to make missions, build ships, code improvements to the engine, or simply play play play - we want you on board.

Links:

Cut about 150 words.

I like it: shorter and more exciting, but still covers all the bases. I have a thing for wanting to be too specific: probably comes from too many college papers. Anyone else?

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I'll leave the draft here for two days for further feedback. On Wednesday, if people are satisfied, I'll post the final version (currently Battuta's hatched one) in Getting Started and someone with the necessary privileges can sticky it.

The "Hatchet" Draft looks good except for 1) I thought Interplay released the source code. 2) There should be a (small) sentence or two explaining Volition/Interplay and the release of the source code and its restrictions. Some of this could be in part 1. My revision of parts 1 & 2:

1. What is FreeSpace?
Descent: FreeSpace - The Great War (1998) and FreeSpace 2 (1999) are mission-based space combat simulators, like X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Wing Commander, developed by Volition and published by Interplay. Among the greatest games of the genre, they were also effectively the last.

HLP is a fan community built on love and the non-commercial open-source code made available by Interplay in 2002. Thanks to their generosity, we've continued development of FreeSpace 2 as FreeSpace Open - the upgrades to the original game engine - and FreeSpace Upgrade - enhancements to bring the graphics up to modern standards. Also, we are able to tell new stories set in the FreeSpace universe and beyond, by creating new missions and spectacular total conversions that let players fly in the beloved universes of Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Wing Commander, and Star Wars.

Ok, so maybe I edited it a bit more than I was expecting, but I think overall it is clearer on what FreeSpace is and specifically what we have added. The rest of it looks good.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I was pretty sure that Volition (and Dave Baranec in particular) released the source code, precisely because Interplay owned the Freespace IP and Volition were acquired by THQ, leaving Volition owning code they couldn't do much with.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was V, not Interplay.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is pretty good, but regarding the "What is HLP" question, I'd like to see something along the lines of "bringing modders together" that was (and still is) the purpose of the site.  Setekh expounded upon this a bit in the anniversary thread he posted.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
This is pretty good, but regarding the "What is HLP" question, I'd like to see something along the lines of "bringing modders together" that was (and still is) the purpose of the site.  Setekh expounded upon this a bit in the anniversary thread he posted.

Give me half an hour and I'll work this in.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

1. What is FreeSpace?

HLP is a fan community built on love and open-source code. We're dedicated to bringing modders together and giving them a place to can share their own hard work and draw inspiration from the work of others. Thanks to Volition's generosity, we've continued development of FreeSpace 2 as FreeSpace Open, building graphical enhancements to bring the original games up to modern standards, telling new stories set in the FreeSpace universe and original worlds, and creating spectacular total conversions that let players fly in the beloved universes of Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Wing Commander, and Star Wars.

Links:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:21:11 am by InsaneBaron »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'd use

HLP is a fan community built on love and open-source code, dedicated to bringing modders together and helping them excel.

Scare quotes never work.