13 (36.1%)
Might be a good idea
13 (36.1%)
I'm OK either way
5 (13.9%)
Don't do it!
5 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: A Hard Light Manifesto- [Rough Draft Posted]  (Read 9029 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: A Hard Light Manifesto- [Rough Draft Posted]
What about:

HLP is a fan community built on Bringing Modders Together, a place where we can share our own hard work and draw inspiration from the work of others.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's fine except lose the caps because they're incredibly dorky.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Made the change, broke the sentence in half for stylistic reasons. Liking the way this is going. :yes:

EDIT: revised the revision combining elements of my, Battuta's, and Goober's BMT ideas. Everyone like it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:22:23 am by InsaneBaron »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's fine except lose the caps because they're incredibly dorky.

I specifically put it in caps because I wanted to emphasize our slogan.  Lowercase provides no emphasis.

Bold or italic could be an option.

broke the sentence in half for stylistic reasons
:wtf:

EDIT: revised the revision combining elements of my, Battuta's, and Goober's BMT ideas. Everyone like it?

Where's the latest revision?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, but emphasis is a bad idea - it feels corporate, disingenuous, artificial, and oily, like an unspoken (TM) (R) (all rights reserved) hovering over the sentence. Keep everything plain, unadorned, and genuine.

The best way to emphasize if you really want it is to give it its own sentence: We bring modders together.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Rather than repost the thing again I just modified my last post. I'm neutral concerning the emphasis issue.

Breaking the sentence in half=no longer relevant
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest, I'd drop the whole Bringing Modders Together thing entirely. It sounds like it excludes people who just want to play the game. Lots of people on HLP have never even opened FRED or looked inside the VPs.

If you must use it, say that's what HLP started out as, but that it now means much more than that.

Secondly, I'd drop the mention of my FAQ. It definitely still has its uses and a lot of it is still relevant but it is pretty outdated now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
To be honest, I'd drop the whole Bringing Modders Together thing entirely. It sounds like it excludes people who just want to play the game. Lots of people on HLP have never even opened FRED or looked inside the VPs.

If you must use it, say that's what HLP started out as, but that it now means much more than that.

Secondly, I'd drop the mention of my FAQ. It definitely still has its uses and a lot of it is still relevant but it is pretty outdated now.

I'll let you three figure out the Bringing Modders Together thing; that's a matter for senior members.

I'll remove the FAQ then.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Last call for feedback before I post this after my next class.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Aaaand POSTED. Still need someone with mod privs to sticky it. Thanks everyone!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Cut 'A brief explanation.' - the opening question implies that.

You've got an extra 'can' in here: We're dedicated to bringing modders together and giving them a place to can share their own hard work and draw inspiration from the work of others.

I'd cut 'incomplete' from Battuta's Guide since the functional component is complete.

Otherwise looks decent.

Offline Luis Dias

:yes:

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Cut 'A brief explanation.' - the opening question implies that.

You've got an extra 'can' in here: We're dedicated to bringing modders together and giving them a place to can share their own hard work and draw inspiration from the work of others.

I'd cut 'incomplete' from Battuta's Guide since the functional component is complete.

Otherwise looks decent.

I'm on it! Glad this turned out so well. :)

EDIT: I removed "incomplete" and replaced it with "hardly exhaustive"- more accurate and more positive, still makes the point that there are plenty of great campaigns that aren't on the list (yet). Side note on that, I'd nominate Sol: A History for the list, but we can tackle that in the appropriate thread.

About the "explanation" part, I thought it might be helpful to clarify that "What is HLP?" is a thread answering the question, as opposed to some guy asking it. However, now that I realize it, once you actually open the thread it's obvious. Maybe include it in the thread title?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:05:05 am by InsaneBaron »

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Last thing: who can sticky it?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'd change the formatting slightly so that the titles of the sections and the content of those sections don't run together so much. Something like this:

What is Hard Light Productions?

1. What is FreeSpace?

FreeSpace: The Great War and FreeSpace 2 are mission-based space combat simulators, like X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. Among the greatest games of the genre, they were also effectively the last.

The FreeSpace series follows humanity and their Vasudan allies as they fight to withstand the xenocidal, enigmatic Shivans, a species of unknown origin, vast technological capability, and seemingly limitless malice.

2. What is Hard Light Productions?

HLP is[...]

Also, the title of the overall thing shouldn't be identical to one of the questions therein... but I'm not sure what to change it to.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I'd change the formatting slightly so that the titles of the sections and the content of those sections don't run together so much. Something like this:

What is Hard Light Productions?

1. What is FreeSpace?

FreeSpace: The Great War and FreeSpace 2 are mission-based space combat simulators, like X-Wing/TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. Among the greatest games of the genre, they were also effectively the last.

The FreeSpace series follows humanity and their Vasudan allies as they fight to withstand the xenocidal, enigmatic Shivans, a species of unknown origin, vast technological capability, and seemingly limitless malice.

2. What is Hard Light Productions?

HLP is[...]

Also, the title of the overall thing shouldn't be identical to one of the questions therein... but I'm not sure what to change it to.

I like the size suggestion... will implement after next class. "What is HLP" is the main question, so I think it works as a title.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I could sticky it, but honestly I think the far more ideal solution would be to get it made into its own page linked prominently from the top menu.  I don't know that most of the people who would benefit most from seeing it will bother to read it as a stickied thread.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I could sticky it, but honestly I think the far more ideal solution would be to get it made into its own page linked prominently from the top menu.  I don't know that most of the people who would benefit most from seeing it will bother to read it as a stickied thread.
It's already been stickied, however I agree that linking it in the menu would be a great idea.