Author Topic: The almost perfect space sim  (Read 1448 times)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
The almost perfect space sim
Of course I always had and I still have flying with Freespace ; but there is a lack of multiplayer. What would be so awesome, would be to have someone developing a kind of MMO space sim. But not a MMO with XP gaining and such, that is really weird, i've played one or two of these kind of MMO space sim.

What would be awesome, is to have a game simulating a real space battle. So in a fight there would be :
-> Battleships (cruisers, destroyers..) led by a Commander (someone who has a lot of experience). He would be assisted by turrets, guided by men (if not enough slot -> IA controlled, but it would be much inaccurate. So they would be deadly only if men would controlling them, with some kind of automatic targetting to help them or i don't know) : the newbies, the one who are just starting the game, would go there, trying to kill ships. And he would also have a defensive team inside, in case the ship is boarded (FPS like).

-> Ships : free to use for everyone.

The backdrop is that it would need at least 20 players to have a real battle ; but if it's MMO, there should be enough, right ?

Let's say for example : 1 player playing RTS-like and giving orders to others
1 commanders leading 1 cruiser
6 other players in the cruiser, controlling the turrets or fighting when it's boarded
8 fighters and/or bombers (haha actually there would need more)
4 players, part of the boarding team : so one who drives the transport, and three who stand ready to fight

That's just a basic idea of what it would look like. I know it's currrently just impossible due to latency and such between players.. But if one day such a game was made, I would be so happy !

Of course, the battle system would be at least as dynamic as the one in Freespace. And it would have to be balanced. Of course, players would be able to switch to be either a pilot or someone inside the cruiser.

A typical game would be :
-> team A and B try to destroy the enemy cruiser
-> if the cruiser B is destroyed, team A has finished its work, so cruiser A tries to jump out of the battle (let's say a 3 min time before the jump drives recharge)
----> if the cruiser A is destroyed while trying to escape : it's tie, everyone will die (the fighters won't be able to return home because they would have no cruiser, so it would be considered as a tie)
----> if the cruiser A escapes : 1 point for team A
and same for team B if cruiser A is first destroyed

Being destroyed or killed would lead to a 1 minute cooldown before respawn (for every ships but the cruisers..). So if every one on team A dies.. I'd be better not be the commander of the cruiser A :P

If the cruiser A is successfully boarded by team B and securized (let's say there is an area to go, and wait there 1 min before it's securized). At the moment it's securised, fighters on team A will try to land manually in the fighterbay of the cruiser A. But be careful ! The men that are currently boarding cruiser A will try to take them down with turrets. If fighters manage to dock in the fighterbay, they will try to retake control of cruiser A (meanwhile, the fighters of the team B can continue to manage the cruiser A, just in case.. Or they can help to destroy fighters A before they reach the fighterbay. They also can dock in the fighterbay to help the boarding team !). If after 1 or 2 minutes the cruiser A is still under control of team B, it's win for team B, and they got 2 points instead of one (heh, they have gained another cruiser afterall).

But while the team B is boarding the cruiser A.. The team A can board the cruiser B !

That would give some really awesome games..

That was for the "I have a dream" part  :p  Let's hope there will be such a game in a distant future !
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:58:30 am by potterman28wxcv »

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Re: The almost perfect space sim
Star Wars: Battlefront II's space combat seems similar to what you want.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I remember playing Star Wars Battlefront levels exactly like this with friends in middle school. Not as much fun as you would think, in my opinion. I have high hopes for Star Citizen though, at best it will do everything you want in the context of a universe that actually does stuff.

e: sniped

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Sounds a lot like Angels Fall First (AFF: Planetstorm) You might get your wish in some form in the future...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Planetstorm was aight but hampered by netcode issues, bad teamwork, and a low server population.

When people actually make games like this, they usually turn out to be rife with degenerate strategies and dependent on large, organized groups to have any fun.

Offline Al-Rik

I know a game with 32 players per side, each side with a Commander and 8 Squads of maximum 6 players.
COOP and Singleplayer with Bots is possible

Space Combat has Capital Ships with up to 6 players controlling the turrets.
In some Gamemodes the Capital Ships respawn, in others they are objectives and you lose if your side lost all Capital Ships.
Besides the Capital Ships are Fighters playable, even some Fighters with pilot and gunner.

Additional to the Space Combat the game has also Ground Combat, from Close Counters in a City to large open Grounds with vehicles and fighters.

Name of the Game:
First Strike, a Modification for Battlefield 2142.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NszIn7NThc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0sjw8LbksA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjEHDDFm6Zw

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
There was a pure-combat space MMO Tycho from Penny-Arcade mentioned once that'd been around for years, but I can't remember the name of it right now.  I don't know that it featured direct control over capital ships though.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Allegiance?
I played it and it's a blast

http://www.freeallegiance.org/
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mikes

This was incredibly awesome back in the day: http://www.moddb.com/mods/eternal-silence

Not sure if people are still playing it nowadays.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh riiiiight, it was Vendetta Online.  It's been around for a decade and apparently never developed by more than four people; I don't think you get much more indie than that.