Author Topic: You Keep Diggin' That Grave, Microsoft II: Machinima Strikes Back  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: You Keep Diggin' That Grave, Microsoft II: Machinima Strikes Back
Unless I'm missing something, this is no worse than them simply paying an advertising company to produce material promoting their products, is it?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It is, because they are giving money to NOT speak ill of them. Which is Bribery.

Offline Lorric

It is, because they are giving money to NOT speak ill of them. Which is Bribery.
But that's exactly what you'd do if you paid for advertising.

However, I've had a thought, there could be some hilarious videos produced from this where the people who made them are obviously lying. Or obviously completely uninterested. :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
A fair game on their part, the way I see it. Certainly cheaper than hiring pros to do the very same thing, with less variety, for more money.
Bribery would be if they paid every YT user who did anything on Xbox One a sum for not speaking ill of them. They're not doing that, you need to explicitly sign up for their program, and it's understandable that they won't want to pay someone for badmouthing them when he was supposed to be advertising.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think, like most youTube videos, it's up to the viewer to make their own decision. So long as it is made clear that this is a video that is sponsored by those groups.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Unless I'm missing something, this is no worse than them simply paying an advertising company to produce material promoting their products, is it?

It is worse.

Youtube's gaming personalities are people who have built up their reputations over years. By "buying them off", as it were, MS tries to leverage their reputations to get positive PR out there, at a much cheaper price than it would cost them to actually do the normal PR circus. While that's just prudent business strategy on some level, from the consumer's side, there's nothing to indicate that a given video is part of a paid advertisement, apart from a little tag on the video (and who really looks at youtube tags?). This isn't product placement, it's a direct commission to Youtubers to make content advertising MS products.

I don't mind companies hiring independent video producers to produce advertisement. My favourite comedy group, LoadingReadyRun, for example, does paid advertisement for Magic: The Gathering and WotC. But, they are very open about it all, and are making very clear that the content they're producing is paid for by WotC.

Now, the youtubers here are perfectly free to be open about it as well, but they're not required to be.

Actually, reading through the contract, they're required NOT to be open about this. So yeah, totally inacceptible.

In newspaper advertising, editorial content and ad content has to be separated, with clear markers showing which is which (a line that has been blurred a lot in recent years with sinking journalistic standards); This is something youtubers have yet to adopt.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:51:16 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Solution: Look at tags.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Alternative solution: pressure corporate advertisers into being honest.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, the last honest advertisement I've seen... Well, there was this one for a big supermarket that opened up nearby. The sole shop ad that doesn't say anything about "lowest prices in town", instead saying "biggest choice in town". And boy, they aren't kidding, you can easily get lost in there. :) As for the others... well, I dunno. The art of honest advertising is long dead, I'm afraid.

As for MS, well, if they require YouTubers to actually mask their vids as independent opinions, then that's indeed rather shady. Those guys are doing advertisements, so let them slap a big, fat MS logo in front to let people know who paid them for that. In fact, they should be required to do that.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I feel like this would be shady if it was a sort of buried-in-the-EULA agreement to not speak ill of MS games when doing Machinima/capture stuff.  Since it's an agreement between the two parties, I don't actually see a problem here.  Especially since there's the tag involved, too.

Is it particularly savory to know what some people are accepting money to not talk bad about something?  Not particularly.  But I'm certainly not going to tell someone that they're wrong for taking MS up on the offer, either.

Offline Mika

Oh dear, this is hilarious  :lol:

I'm looking forward to the time when the LP makers start to slam XBone in the first seconds of video to prove they are not astroturfing for MS.

On the other hand, why would I want to look for LPs that are exclusive to XBone?
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.