Author Topic: Pirates  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
fs pirates prolly wouldn't ever directly attack the military but maybe if small numbers of fighters came across them they wouldn't back down

Actually, Modern day Pirates do attack millitary targets.  of course, FS pirates would have to have space dust for brains to do that, or really big egos, or both, but they still might.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Or really big ships

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by CP5670
R1! It has been over a year since we last met; great to see you around here. How are things going?

Uh-oh - another math freak? ;) :p j/k

:) :p :cool: Welcome to the HLPBB Righteous1!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol:  :wink:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Razor

Simple. Just stuck in your head the idea to tell people all the time the following line:

ARRR!! Walk the plank you goodie good piece of space crap!

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Math freak?

No, but a  FS2 Freak definitely. :D

R1! It has been over a year since we last met; great to see you around here. How are things going?

Things are going well.  Still playing Jumpgate though I'm not as addicted as I once was.  FS2 is still my first love though.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
In real life, space pirates would be few and far between. But they're fun, and this is a game, so assume that space ships are as common as cars, are easy to make, that plasma-based weaponry can be rigged in a garage, and that the void of space is crowded enough uniformy enough that a wing of tooled-out pirates wouldn't either get stuck jumping into a whole lotta nothing all the time, or swooping into an extremely crowded trade depot and being atomized by 40,000 ships.

Offline Solatar

I thought you became a pirate by typing in arrrrwalktheplank while in mission. This huge :v: pirate ship jumps in.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Originally posted by Razor
Simple. Just stuck in your head the idea to tell people all the time the following line:

ARRR!! Walk the plank you goodie good piece of space crap!

Actually, FS ships don't have planks (or any sort of wood), so you'd have to modify the line to this:

"ARRR!! I'll make you walk the airlock, you goodie good piece of space crap!...Seriously, though, just give me your valuables."

:D
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Now I`m annoyed. I`ve spent ages working on a pirate asteroid base (and getting nowhere!) and then Aldo goes and makes one. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline diamondgeezer

Arrr, shiver me... erm... something...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
'Shiver me clipping'.

actually it's a large but appallingly poorly armed carrier (1.summat km long).  and the turrets have visiblity problems (they show thorugh the hull at certain angles on the main join), otherwise it'd be done by now.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Thor

Actually, Modern day Pirates do attack millitary targets.  of course, FS pirates would have to have space dust for brains to do that, or really big egos, or both, but they still might.

I haven't ever heard of that.  Terrorists attack military targets, yes, but never pirates.  There is no cargo on a military ship worth having except maybe guns, and usually the crew of such a ship have access to those guns.  I'm sorry, but unless you are refering to the navy of some tiny third-world country, there isn't a soft enough military target for pirates to engage.  Pirates don't fight for the sake of fighting, after all; it's about profits and acceptable risks and attacking a heavily armed frigate (or even a transport ship with a couple dozen marines on board) just isn't an acceptable risk.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM