Author Topic: Blue Planet: The Battle Captains (Fan Campaign)  (Read 86156 times)

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Re: Blue Planet: The Battle Captains (Fan Campaign)
Try playing on a regular build with all the compatibility stuff, and see if that works?

Sure thing, ill just-

More seriously though, it works a lot better on those builds.  I was severely murderized.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes there's some kind of issue where the player cannot take beam damage. Other damage seems to work okay (I think).

I don't think it's a BP-specific bug, since the BP code doesn't really touch this stuff (I think), but it is probably a bug that was extant in the code around hte time these builds were generated.

Again please note this when searching for the bug: THE BUG DOES NOT SEEM TO APPLY TO BOMB DAMAGE. It's all about invulnerability to beams.

quotin for new page

Offline CT27

I think we may have found something more difficult than Shadow Genesis.  :)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Playing as a Orion, commanding a squadron of fighters take a LOT different approach to the strategy you pick.

It's almost sad that most of the work really depend on fighters. You can't engage Destroyers with it's beams operational - you get blows to pieces.
Remember it's not the post-capela era ship, but even if upgraded, Orion is still great-war relic - it's bound to have weak spots.
Intelligent command of your fighter squadron I think, is essential. When I lost all fighters on the scene, that was almost like a sure-failure.

But hey, remember all those missions command given to you! Wasn't it beams disable and later on, cavalry was to arrive? :D
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline crizza

Playing with 3.7.1 build, I was destroyed at by the trio of Rakshasas...
But this was due to my beams not firing... don't know why, they were set on automatic fire and ETS had energy for gunnery on maximum...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:46:08 am by crizza »

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Playing with 3.7.1 build, I was destroyed at by the trio of Rakshasas...

Well, your XO did warn you against a head-on attack. :P Use your bombers, and then your fighters once the enemy bombers have been dealt with.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Luis Dias

Never put your beams to auto. Death and mysery lies in that direction.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Manual beam fire is really reliable, the overload isn't. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Offline crizza

Realy? Everytime I set the beams on manual, the won't fire when the gunner tells me hes ready...I hit ctrl or left mouse and well...
But the ARtemis...great to see them carve thruogh anything smaller then a destroyer, defanging the Ravana...and then fail to disarm the Demon.
But epic shootout, the Demon destroys the Carthage but with her Hood-like salvoe she kills the Demon while exploding  :D

Edit: Scratch that, manual fire just gutted the Ravana :D
Edit2: The game crashed after saving the Herakleia and choosing not to skip the dialogue...but the box did not vanish, so I had a coursor and when hitting o on the Keyboard it RTD...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:45:11 pm by crizza »

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Never put your beams to auto. Death and mysery lies in that direction.

I second that!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline CT27

Something's wrong.

The Sathanas came in after I destroyed the three Rakshashas that came in after the Warspite convoy and destroyed the Carthage.

It's not supposed to do that is it?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Something's wrong.

The Sathanas came in after I destroyed the three Rakshashas that came in after the Warspite convoy and destroyed the Carthage.

It's not supposed to do that is it?

Not if most of the Warspite convoy escaped destruction.  :confused:
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline crizza

Got to post a log tomorrow. The game keeps crashing after killing the single Ravana.
When ask if I want to skip the dialogue or not, I click no, but the...window won't disappear, leaving me with a cursor and when hitting o(dunno if this applys to other keys) the game crashes.

But it is still a wonderfull mission, the three Rakshasas are easily killed be my strikecraft or damage me if I engage them too early.

Lepanto, I don't know how you'll surpass that mission :D

Offline CT27

What's the best way to make sure an overload fires?

I've selected overload beams and after the 30 seconds they don't fire.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
What's the best way to make sure an overload fires?

I've selected overload beams and after the 30 seconds they don't fire.

Argh; overload beams have been wonky since Severanti's mission. I've gone over the event and SEXPs, and they really SHOULD fire when the 30 seconds are up, but it seems like there are still problems.

Offline CT27

I asked about this in a PM but I'll also post it here to see if the general populace has any ideas:

Does anyone know how to get access to more than one checkpoint?

When you start the Carthage mission it gives you an option to start at checkpoint 1.

Is there any way to start at checkpoints beyond that?  I got to what I think is the final part of the mission (fighting two Ravanas) and barely died.  I noticed "CHECKPOINT REACHED" signs along the way but can't figure out how to start from them.  Or at least continue from them.  Shadow Genesis gave you that option of being able to continue from the most recent checkpoint after you died.

Offline crizza

Any ideas?
Think it has something to do with the dialogue windows, 'cause a non debug build works fine.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:07:25 am by crizza »

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Got to post a log tomorrow. The game keeps crashing after killing the single Ravana.
When ask if I want to skip the dialogue or not, I click no, but the...window won't disappear, leaving me with a cursor and when hitting o(dunno if this applys to other keys) the game crashes.

But it is still a wonderfull mission, the three Rakshasas are easily killed be my strikecraft or damage me if I engage them too early.

Lepanto, I don't know how you'll surpass that mission :D

I haven't managed to reproduce this bug; the events seem to check out in FRED, so I don't know why you're having that problem.

Any ideas?
Think it has something to do with the dialogue windows, 'cause a non debug build works fine.

I think the capship control script causes problems for the debug build, triggering that weird assert error. Debug builds do not work on this mission.

----------------------------------

Everyone, here's patch 1.1, hopefully correcting an error with the checkpoint system.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Has that been rolled into the download in the OP?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Not yet. I'll do that.