Author Topic: New New TIE Advanced  (Read 6030 times)

I've started cannibalizing brandx0's TIEs to produce Darth Vader's TIE.

The Corvette's almost done, as well. Just need a shine map and an engine-destroyed.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Woohoo! Such a stylish tie.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Nice  :yes:

(now just make sure it's available to be shot down in the campaign as well  :drevil:)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Just out of curiosity, what are we thinking for the lore for this TIE?  Is it just a one-off prototype that Darth Vader alone flew, or maybe a limited run production model?  Other than the Battle of Yavin, I'm pretty sure we never see another example of its type in the movies.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Without giving away too much, it appears in a very early prototype role in the imperial campaign, and I suppose it'll be one of the first times the model sees action. The campaigns predate ANH, after all.

As for the reasoning why it's apparently such a very rare model, I believe it'll just be because it ended up very expensive and they didn't figure out ways to cost-effectively mass-produce them, so it's something reserved for the elite of the elite.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think that was pretty much the canon (whatever "canon" is these days) backstory for it, wasn't it?  It was too expensive for the Imperials to be interested in, but Vader basically yoinked one for his own purposes.

I thought the wiki said that it had a hyperdrive, and the Navy was afraid it would make desertion too easy.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I don't think we really need to specify the exact number that were made or anything like that, nor do we have to stray from what's already been written about it. Sometimes there's stuff in canon that's just too inconsistent and/or stupid to let slide and we have to figure out a way to make it less ludicrous or just omit it, but thankfully from what I can tell this isn't supposed to be overpowered or of dubious origin. Kinda refreshing actually!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think that was pretty much the canon (whatever "canon" is these days) backstory for it, wasn't it?  It was too expensive for the Imperials to be interested in, but Vader basically yoinked one for his own purposes.
That actually has the order of events reversed; Vader had a personal starfighter designed by Sienar, and Vader liked it so much Sienar presented it for mass production. As bobbtmann remembered, the Navy declined (not only because they were worried about defection, but also because it might "give bureaucrats an excuse to slash orders for new capital starships"), although there was some limited production.

More memorably, TIE Advanced x1 development led to the TIE Avenger (technically known as the "TIE Advanced", without the "x1") and the TIE Defender.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

The MS-DOS Version of X-Wing uses a model similar to the X1 for the TIE Advanced. The Windows Version uses the TIE Avenger model.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Good news, always good to have this ship ready for battle    ;)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
A bit blurry, and the shadow looks terrible, but otherwise seems OK.

Keen eyes, Dragon. Keen eyes.