Author Topic: C0DA  (Read 1605 times)

Jubal and Hir stare into the sky. It is a vision of apocalypse.

A smaller, silver moon sits to the upper left, orbiting a shattered planet.

The planet Nirn. "Earth." Cracked open like an asteroid field still held into spherical shape by forces unknown. The right side of the planet moves from rock and fire to ghostly cosmic clockworks. The planet has a “skeleton" inside it, an interlocking system of gears and pistons and wheels, half-here, half-not, overlaid with a nebula of mathematical equations that we can't understand.

It's out! I don't really know how to summarise it, but if you have any kind of interest in the Elder Scrolls series and its lore I recommend reading it (and if you don't you can still probably enjoy the mindscrew).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
its bleh honestly. just some inane blathering.

then again, its something for someone who will draw the comic.

[edit] i honestly dont get the point. why the hype, the countdown or whatever?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I dunno reading sequences like

"That’s a lie. I want more that just that. I want a very great thing for the whole of my people. Call it a messiah complex, if you must. I wouldn’t unless you were recognized under C0DA, at least not out loud, but in all honesty I probably deserve it."

makes me not want to continue reading, because AAAAARGH NOONE TALKS LIKE THAT.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I don't think the dialogue is meant to be at all naturalistic.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I can see someone making that choice, but it doesn't make the prose any easier to read.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I am really interested in C0DA (and in the more esoteric parts of Elder Scrolls Lore) for all the reasons it's kind of alienating and difficult.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So basically, in order to make heads or tails of this, I have to dig deep into the combined lore of several CRPGs?

....yeah, I'm out.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well I hope not, it's an FS thread  :p

But assuming your post is re: C0DA, I think it's interesting on its own as an aesthetic object. It feels to me that part of the point is to make art that's defiantly incomprehensible, to say 'experiencing this is valuable; abandon your need to be sure of what's happening'.

e: posts moved to correct thread
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:54:45 am by General Battuta »

But assuming your post is re: C0DA, I think it's interesting on its own as an aesthetic object. It feels to me that part of the point is to make art that's defiantly incomprehensible, to say 'experiencing this is valuable; abandon your need to be sure of what's happening'.

QFT. For what it's worth, knowing the lore from the games straight won't help you to 'make heads or tails of this' at all; if anything it'd make it harder by building false expectations. To enjoy this you mostly just have to relax, appreciate the text as it unfolds, and accept that comprehension will come slowly and holistically, as a gradual synthesis rather than an immediate, linear assembly. It's certainly a refreshing change from the normal dialogues about fiction that predominate in nerd culture.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Does this have anything to do with CHIM or the towers?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

It doesn't directly involve either, but the broader concepts surrounding both are significantly developed.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

No offense, but sounds like pretentious bulls*** to me. .. kinda.

I mean I get what you want to say, but at the same time I'm having a hard time in seeing worth in art that is deliberatly confusing.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You've done a really good job of defining your taste in art: clear, direct, tactile, plainly mapped out. It's a preference a lot of people have.