3 (13%)
Super Smash Bros.
1 (4.3%)
Unreal Tournament
4 (17.4%)
Warcraft 3
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: What is the best competitive eSports game?  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
What is the best competitive eSports game?
Which game do you think is the best competitive eSports game? I'm leaning towards StarCraft.

Re: What is the best competitive eSports game?
freespace 2
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
hard light productions forums

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
freespace 2

I wish FS had a large eSports community.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
dont know cause I like playing CS bit also like watching SC2
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

freespace 2

I wish FS had a large eSports community.

it does, you might've missed the trick to getting in though (the trick is: playing freespace 2)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

World of Tanks?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
it does, you might've missed the trick to getting in though (the trick is: playing freespace 2)
FS2 doesn't have an eSport community, just a (crappy) multiplayer mode. We're talking professional competitions you can win actual money in, like you get with StarCraft and the like.

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
FS2 doesn't have an eSport community, just a (crappy) multiplayer mode. We're talking professional competitions you can win actual money in, like you get with StarCraft and the like.

I'm sure we could put together an eSports multiplayer mod and maybe start up a pro community of our own?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm afraid this community is too small for that, not to mention we would probably run into legal issues at some point if we did start to hand out monetary prizes (we're not the original devs, nor do we have an official permission from them). Besides, I'm afraid FS multiplayer is too finicky for that, I've tried setting it up, and couldn't manage to get it to connect.

FSO netcode is very nineties and shoddy from what I've heard, which means death in a game where combat takes place entirely with relatively slow-moving projectiles.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Snuffleupugus.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Define 'best.'

Biggest userbase?  Established ladder system?  Player experience?  Complexity?  etc etc etc

In terms of size and dedication of the userbase in actual competition, I doubt there's anything that can even touch StarCraft.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Starcraft wins (I'm not really a fan but whatever, nothing is even close to SC, only thing that ever got close was CS, LoL is trying hard these days but frankly isn't ubiquitous enough).

As for FreeSpace - I've played a lot of multiplayer games and there was never a game where skill set you apart from your peers so dramatically (next closest that I played is probably Tribes).
If you were even fractionally better than your opponent you were virtually untouchable. If it could've been an esport, and hadn't been so niche it would've been king, especially considering how tactical multiple opponents vs could get.

SquadWars was an excellent example of early 'esports' before it evolved into what it is now.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Define 'best.'

Biggest userbase?  Established ladder system?  Player experience?  Complexity?  etc etc etc

In terms of size and dedication of the userbase in actual competition, I doubt there's anything that can even touch StarCraft.

Nowadays I wouldn't be so sure, League of Legends has a really huge userbase, and is (hour count) the most played video game in the world.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:59:21 am by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline CKid

Speaking of Esports, me and my team have made it to the finals of the Bronze League for World of Tanks. It will be live steamed with a 10 minute delay later today. The award isn't cash, but we are moving up to silver league next season. (Gold league is where you get cash payouts) I'am on the team "I Love Lamp".
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

I'm missing GTL, Rfactor, Trackmania, iRacing and the like in here. They might not be as well publicized, but there's quite a bit of competition in there, esp. in the case of iRacing (where you can earn money).

I think the point is that Nakura, unlike most (every other?) member of HLP, apperently has not played FS2 yet (whilst I am sure he will actually love it, as FS2 has some interesting political undertones).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:22:44 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'd have to say right now for me it's WoT as well, been sinking a lot of hours on it and this little bugger is one hell of a competition parade.
I even got two work mates to join me and do some fun runs on low tiers every now and then. Good times.
el hombre vicio...