3 (13%)
Super Smash Bros.
1 (4.3%)
Unreal Tournament
4 (17.4%)
Warcraft 3
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: What is the best competitive eSports game?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: What is the best competitive eSports game?
Purely as a spectator sport, I find WoT is one of the most boring things to watch ever.
I do however, enjoy SC2 on a regular basis. Somebody nerf koreans, because they are too damn good at the game.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Speaking of Esports, me and my team have made it to the finals of the Bronze League for World of Tanks. It will be live steamed with a 10 minute delay later today.

I've never actually *watched* any sort of e-sport, besides a Starcraft 2 match in the background of a TotalBiscuit rant. I'll be lurking a bit I suppose, maybe pick up some tactics.

Although, now that I think of it, there's a Minecraft mod called "Hungercraft" that was played competitively with commentators and stuff on Twitch, does that count?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
DOTA2 seems to be the huge thing at the moment, what with The International and all, but even beyond not caring for playing that style of game, I can't see what makes people drool over it as a spectator sport.  I watched a bit of one or two matches, and the commentators were going ape**** over someone using one power at a certain point, and it felt like I'd need to know a hell of a lot about the game to even care about what was going on.  At least with StarCraft, you can see a Zergling rush wipe out a bunch of enemy units and know that **** just went down.

(Honestly though I have little to no interest in "eSports" in general.)

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
StarCraft eSports master race:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
StarCraft, namely because for one nation? It's their Nascar+NFL+WWF/E.

Sure, LoL can spectacle just as much and has large crowds at events here in NA, but it's still young compared to the rolling Juggernaut that really kicked off eSports -and still holds it-.

Other competitive games would be Quake (for FPS genre), it still holds titled tournaments to this day. May not be as large as the current gen shooters, but it's been unflaggingly consistent in its presence.

Not sure about stick-fighter based, but I'm pretty sure there is and has been a persistent penetration there and the more favored franchise seems to be Street Fighter.

I used to be a part of the Need For Speed franchise racing during eSports 1.0 (early/mid 90's) along with Descent ladder matches.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Which ones in particular? I am a huge fan of the second and third installments.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Meh..

The only MP games I play are Planetside 2, World of Tanks, Attack on Titan and Allegiance...also played War of the Roses and various Battlefield and counter-Strike for a while.

So "e-sports" really don't interest me much. Them koreans be crazy.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
For the record, I'm the guy who voted for Smash. :nervous:

As an aside, there was an MLG-sponsored Smash Bros. tournament hosted by my student organization a couple of weeks ago.

e: I took "best" to mean "my favorite".

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
StarCraft, namely because for one nation? It's their Nascar+NFL+WWF/E.
Nah, because it's the most fun to play and watch, imho. Plus it's the most widespread eSport and the most balanced (well, SC1 is anyway).

Offline Lorric

I used to get plenty of enjoyment from watching people duke it out in Warcraft 3. Also, with Warcraft 3 there are so many weird and wonderful custom maps outside the core competitive experience, that once in a blue moon you can get the enjoyment of watching one.

Now though I don't get much enjoyment out of it. I think it's because everyone who's still left's playstyle has gotten so refined. Everyone does the same things, everyone knows what works and what doesn't.

Anyway, Warcraft 3 is my pick.