Author Topic: Multiple-ship docking  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Multiple-ship docking
Would it be possible to allow multiple ships to dock together at once?  The limitation of being able to dock a ship with only one other ship at a time can get really annoying.  For example, one can't have a transport dock with a freighter carrying cargo unless the freighter undocks with the cargo first, which can be a real pain and looks silly to the player's eyes.  In fact, I can think of several ways that this fix would open up new mission possibilities, not to mention the basic things like having Ganymedes that could actually host all the five capital ships they are supposed to and Mephistos using all four of their cargo bays.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I second that! Why can't we have multiple ships docked to a station? Or a cargo hauler with more than one container?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline athropy

And allow player-flyable ships to dock, for example in multiplayer missions with its carrier craft. I really could use this function, if someone can point me a good solution.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
I third that, wanted this for a really long time...

Originally posted by athropy
And allow player-flyable ships to dock, for example in multiplayer missions with its carrier craft. I really could use this function, if someone can point me a good solution.
my solution: a sexp that hands control of the player's ship to a standard fighter ai, this allows orders to be given to the ai and the player's ship can then dock, enter docking bays, follow waypoints, etc.

Offline athropy

Yippee :)

An Auto-pilot for lazy people. This would be great and it doesn't even sound that hard to do.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
most of my suggestions aren't that far-fetched, however, i dont seem to have too many fans either :p [hint]check the "Requested changes to existing FS2 source" thread[/hint]