Author Topic: Who finishes most games they start?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Who finishes most games they start?
It very much depends on how much a game draws me in. Shadow Warrior, while fun, didn't have enough going on to maintain my interest and I soon put it down for other games. Dark Souls 2, on the other hand, I am absolutely devouring.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Mikes

Other than rare exceptions, I do finish all the games I start.

It's easy to miss the true gems if you give up early ...    on the other hand I do have little tolerance for games that intentionally waste your time with artificial grind and/or "copy paste content" (kill 5 gazillion of these things in order to proceed, grind 10 gazillion gold to buy epic weapon x which you need in stupid dungeon y which is kinda the same as dungeon w except that you need the sword from grinding out cash because everything has more hitpoints, etc. :P) I try to weed those out before I even buy them.... but am not always successful.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:23:02 am by Mikes »

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I don't play many games that end now (mostly MMOs) so I tend to finish the ones I do get.

Offline Davros

I try to finish everything, currently I'm 75% through iron storm - its taken me 12 years due to bugs, enemies that cant be killed, enemies that kill you in 1 hit ect

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm terrible with restarting city-builder games because 'I could have done that better', but since there are no 'win' conditions as such on most of that kind of game, I'm not sure it counts.

Quite often though, I find my interest is driven by actual content, once I've discovered most of what there is to discover in a game, it needs to have a really compelling plot to make me continue playing it, There's nothing more annoying, for me, than 'The next tier of enemy is the same enemy as last time, but this time we've scaled the model up by 1.5x and re-textured it!'

Anyone who has played most Marvel-based game will be aware of this experience.

Offline Mikes

I'm terrible with restarting city-builder games because 'I could have done that better', but since there are no 'win' conditions as such on most of that kind of game, I'm not sure it counts.

Quite often though, I find my interest is driven by actual content, once I've discovered most of what there is to discover in a game, it needs to have a really compelling plot to make me continue playing it, There's nothing more annoying, for me, than 'The next tier of enemy is the same enemy as last time, but this time we've scaled the model up by 1.5x and re-textured it!'

Anyone who has played most Marvel-based game will be aware of this experience.

I would have said: Anyone who has played most MMO's will be aware of this experience. ;)

Anyone remember Everquests lvl 50+ "Extraplanar" Rats in planes of power that still used the same rat model as the sewer rats in Queynos at lvl 1?;)

A true classic :)

And while some MMOs with large budgets go to some lenghts to have hundreds of different enemy models ... I would go one further and say that even if an enemy has a completely different model it is still the same enemy if the only thing that changes about it is the model and some stat increases to match the stat increases that the player goes through. (yeah duh.) i.e.: Killing bigger rats with bigger swords ...  in some games even literally.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm working my way through Final Fantasy VI right now (probably the third time I've attempted it without being it, because I'm stupid and keep losing/overwriting savefiles), and it's funny just how many of the enemies are recolored sprites of other enemies.  At least in that case, they usually have vastly different qualities in their alternate forms.

Depends if I get fed up with the game or not. It's not about finishing the game, it's about making use of my time: If I feel it's being wasted I'll quit.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I probably do. The only game I absolutely refused to finish after installing was the second Lost Planet because it was an MMO trainwreck sequel to a single-player trainwreck port. I have gotten terribly stuck before, mind; there was a period of at least two or three years where I left MechCommander 1 at Op 1 Mission 5 because I couldn't figure out how to complete it. I only recently finished Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Skyrim is waiting on me to assemble a collection of patches and upgrades I like.

But I do usually complete if I start. Even if it's just out of rage, like the original Lost Planet.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Mechcommander 1 Mission 5 is still probably the hardest single level I've encountered in a video game I ended up beating.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Really?  I must have gotten ridiculously lucky then, because I beat it with little difficulty.  In terms of raw difficulty on higher levels, I think Mile High Club from the first Modern Warfare game takes the cake from me.  I'm proud to have completed it exactly twice.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The one case I remember like that was the Lost City level in Thief 2. That has to be one of the most irritating levels I've seen in any FPS. I think I got fed up with it, stopped playing the game for a few months, but eventually came back to it and finished the game.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Really?  I must have gotten ridiculously lucky then, because I beat it with little difficulty.  In terms of raw difficulty on higher levels, I think Mile High Club from the first Modern Warfare game takes the cake from me.  I'm proud to have completed it exactly twice.

If you know exactly what you're doing and where enemies will approach and bring along a minelayer and take the time to MINE ALL THE THINGS then it's quite simple.  However, if you're trying to extemporize the answer to the mission on the fly, I don't think it's actually possible to complete it.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It's most assuredly possible to complete.  I do, however, highly highly doubt it's possible to complete perfectly without taking extreme measures.  I tend to "cheat" at MechCommander by always telling my pilots to aim for the head.  Allows for pristine salvage mid-mission to significantly expand fighting capabilities without needing a repair vehicle at all.  Plus I'm fairly certain that your pilots are generally more effective at aiming for headshots than they are just picking apart every 'Mech in the way.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Probably the single hardest "level" for me on any game I beat was the one and only level of Nanosaur. The idea is 1. the game is all one level, so the map is quite big and 2. In order to beat the game you really need to know where everything is. Since back then we didn't have the privilege of looking the map up on the internet, my brother and I spent a good three months on "exploration missions", where we made no attempt to complete the objectives, we just tried to map out the game environment. Finally we decided we were ready, and- huzzah! After many tries were able to complete the game... utilizing a cheat. (if you could boost yourself higher than the game-border cliffs (a challenge in itself if you were in a flatter part of the map) you got a health/ammo refill. We didn't know it was a cheat; we found it by accident and thought that it was mission control beaming powerups to you :P Hey, it's hard even with the cheat!  :nervous: ) Needless to say we were very proud of ourselves.

And later, after we got our hands on the game's website, we decided to try and beat it without the cheat. My brother got to it about two weeks ahead of me. He still brags about it.  :lol:

And now I've got so good at it I can beat it in EXTREME!!! mode. Not to mention the sequel.

Ah, retro games...
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It's most assuredly possible to complete.  I do, however, highly highly doubt it's possible to complete perfectly without taking extreme measures.  I tend to "cheat" at MechCommander by always telling my pilots to aim for the head.  Allows for pristine salvage mid-mission to significantly expand fighting capabilities without needing a repair vehicle at all.  Plus I'm fairly certain that your pilots are generally more effective at aiming for headshots than they are just picking apart every 'Mech in the way.

Ah. You've confused MC1 and MC2 I think...

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
About the mid-mission salvage, yes.  About the aiming for headshots, not in the slightest.  I'm dead certain your pilots will more effectively take down enemy 'Mechs if they're aiming for headshots instead of just attacking.

Offline Mikes

I recent memory ... I can't recall any level/fight that would even remotely approach the final boss of Metal Gear Solid Rising in difficulty.
(Played on hard the first time through - owww ;) )

Before that, I thought they didn't make games like that anymore hehe ;)

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I got Tomb Raider: Legend when it was on sale on steam recently. The whole game is a single player campaign that you move through in sequence: level by level, jump puzzle by jump puzzle. It's the first "figure out this part of the game or the game ends" formula that I have played in awhile. I think games now a days have multiple ways to play them and that is what allows you to get value from them no mater how much of a failure you are. The linear sequence game is becoming more of a rare breed, but it used to be the only sort of game in the 90s. (And to think we played these games without google!) That said, I am pretty entertained by this game. I like figuring out the jump puzzles and the action sequences are pretty clever. Good attention to ambiance too.

I don't think I have 100%ed a game in awhile. But 90%? Probably the vast majority. I play the crap out of what I buy, and I always research first.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
About the mid-mission salvage, yes.  About the aiming for headshots, not in the slightest.  I'm dead certain your pilots will more effectively take down enemy 'Mechs if they're aiming for headshots instead of just attacking.

Having actually tested this empirically several times in Gold with the X-Pulse Laser, because if you're going to do this it pays to have a DPS gun, you are connecting with something on the order of 1 in 60 to 1 in 80 shots giving orders to target the head. You'll get far less salvage, but the ability to neutralize hostiles in single salvos from a lance is something only accomplished by general targeting. You'll also take a lot less damage, which is very important.

MC2 allowed specialized range bracket, weapon accuracy improvements, and even at Ace level a headshot specialty which made it far more effective to aim that way.

A Feddie Story