Author Topic: Dragon Age 2....  (Read 5137 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I know this game had some pretty bad reviews among HLPers, but I'm wondering - in light of the new DA game coming out - if its worth picking up for cheap to play through the story.  I enjoyed the heck out of DA:O, so I'm contemplating whether or not to continue on with the franchise.

I see I can get DA2 through Aamazon for $10, versus $20 through origin.  Does Origin have epic sales like Steam?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Press button = Something awesome happens.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

button is connected to awesome, sadly no button is connected to compelling gameplay or story
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The button and the awesome are connected now, in Dragon Age 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Witty though you all may be, none of these comments are particularly helpful thus far...
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

the clear message i'm getting here is 'don't play dragonage 2'
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
If you don't mind going through incredibly simple gameplay and a really forced storyline, then sure, go ahead. Admittedly, if it weren't for the opportunity to play Hawke as a scatterbrained smartass (with probably the only good voice acting in the game) then I would have passed on it.

I mean, it's worth knocking over just so you have a save for Dragon Age 3, but it's not worth paying money for.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Mass Effect being any indication, there will be a "Select What Happened Before" DLC. Or you were just a colossal ass-dick-head.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Most of the dungeons are the same map, just with piles of rocks moved around to block different corridors

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
DA2 is one of my favourite games in terms of story and characterization. It does things in those areas that are somewhat unexpected, and certainly alienating to those coming off of Origins; DA2 is all about inevitability and the grinding gears of history, whereas Origins was all about being a heroic worldchanging badass. DA2 doesn't want you to shape history, it wants to see how you survive it.

I find it hard to give a firm recommendation either way about whether to buy or not to buy. In terms of the grand story of Thedas, DA2 isn't that vital (yes, what you're living through in this game is one of the pivotal moments that lead into Inquisition, but your inability to shape these events in anything but the most minor of details may be frustrating), but on the other hand, it has some of the best character writing and interactions I have seen in a Bioware game so far.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
All I can say is that Dragon Age 2 is to date the only game to ever make me Rage Quit followed by Rage Uninstall. :p

And it wasn't cause the game was too hard even, just because the penultimate battle in the game is such a kick in the teeth I immediately lost any interest whatsoever in seeing how this pile of utter tripe ended. If you can play DA3 without ever playing Dragon Age 2 then my recommendation is to avoid wasting your life ever playing it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
My sister is a huge Dragon Age fan, so I'll have to play the whole series at some point. This is also how I wound up playing Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect, so I suppose I owe her that much, regardless of whether or not I actually wind up liking it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I think it is worth playing just to see what your opinion is on the whole thing.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I should point out that I've played Origins and ALL the DLC for it. In fact, I've played through all the character origins and completed it twice. So it's not like I don't like the universe or the game itself.

Quite frankly I don't think the second game is worth the time you'd have to invest to get through it. If you've got  $10 and 40 hours to invest, there are plenty of much better RPGs to play. So unless you've played all the Baldur's Gates, all the Icewind Dales, Planescape Torment, The Witcher, etc there is something better to play.

And if you have, **** it. Play one of them again. It's still better than playing Dragon Age II. :p

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I guess I'll see what DA3 needs (if it is even worth playing) to get going, and go from there.  Yeah, I have a huge backlog of other games so I'm not hurting for things to play that are actually good.

Offline Aesaar

DA2 has a good story and good characters.  I'd say it's worth playing for those alone, especially since DA:O lacked both (IMO).  The gameplay has issues, and the level design in particular is complete and utter ****. 

I personally like it more than DA:O, but that isn't saying much.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
DA:O didn't have good characters or story?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Veers

Loved Origins and all it's extras, DA:2 is still in its wrapping after several years of ownership. I'll play it before DA:3 is released however, I an silently dreading opening and installing it.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Aesaar

DA:O didn't have good characters or story?
It had Sten.  That's about it.  The rest are a chronic whiner and selfish moron (Alistair.  I was pretty pleased when I found out you could have him die), a person who's such an asshole that it's become a minor meme in the Bioware community (Morrigan), a stereotypical dwarf (Oghren), a really annoying girl with a terrible, terrible accent (Leliana), an old lady so boring I have difficulty remembering her at all (Wynne), Zevran, who's actually somewhat tolerable, and Loghain, who the story forces me to oppose because Alistair's a douche.  I'm oversimplifying, but none of them were remotely interesting to me except for Sten and the last two if I'm feeling generous.  After a while, I was talking to them just for completeness's sake. 

Oh, and the player character, who manages to show less emotion than the Tranquil.  When every single line of a game is voice acted, the lack of VA for the player gets really jarring.  I had my character sacrifice himself at the end because I didn't give a **** about him.

As for the story, yeah, no.  The Darkspawn are actually remarkable for just how boring and one-dimensional they are, and the story is just one tired cliche after another.  The only part I'd call interesting is the part in Orzammar because it actually manages to conjure up a bit of atmosphere.  Awakening was a bit better in both departments, but DA2 beat them both, IMO. 

I actually liked most of the characters in DA2.  And the fact that 2/3 of the game had you deal with the very interesting Qunari made up for how rushed act 3 was.

DA:O billed itself as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2, a standard it didn't even come close to meeting.  Hell, it didn't even match Neverwinter Nights 2.  For DA2, my standards were a lot lower, and it ended up exceeding them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:37:34 am by Aesaar »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I found the characters in DA2 far more boring than those in DA1. I'd rather have Morrigan or Alister back any day than Mr "I'm a tourtured soul. I hate mages" any day. Even Anders managed to be less interesting than he was in Awakenings.

WhatHerName from the whorehouse in the first game was about the only character who has a single line I can even remember in the entire damn game and I spent most of the time she was in my party wondering why on Earth a pirate captain would feel the need to sail around with a boat full of salty sea dogs in an outfit so short you could give her a gynaecological exam without the need to take it off! Does she gain experience points from being a prick tease? I swear that if you add a nude patch, she'd put clothes ON! 

I generally don't give a **** about a lack of voice acting for the main character given that I've already read and selected what they have to say anyway. Having to sit through it a second time tends to bring me out of the game much faster in fact.

As for the storyline, well the fact I had to go to wikipedia and read the storyline before commenting on this thread pretty much says how memorable I consider the storyline to be. Sure it's less clichéd than DA:O, but it's also vastly less interesting, especially given the fact that in the end the railroad plot leads you to a conclusion so devoid of player agency that it even lacks Mass Effect's choice of colours.

Game Informer gave the console versions of the game a score of 8.25 and the PC version an 7.75, criticizing the poorly designed combat system, stating "On all platforms, Dragon Age II caters to an audience that didn’t connect with Origins, while alienating those who did" and "improving the polish doesn’t do much good when the basics still need work".

I think that pretty much sums up my opinions on the game pretty well.