Author Topic: PhoenixE01 installs FreeSpace  (Read 11741 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: PhoenixE01 installs FreeSpace
Just a small point with Transcend.....it doesn't need the 3.6.10 mediaVPs, I've have it running fine with the 3612 VPs however I can't remember if I had to change the mod.ini or not.
Sorry if this is a mute point but given from this quote, it might come in handy.

Yeah, ditto, I've done that as well and Transcend will work with mediavps_3612, the issue is more that you shouldn't have to update the mod.ini to install & play the mod.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Without getting too sidetracked but would that be an easy fix?
To the inexperienced (like me) it would seem all you need to do is re upload it with an updated mod.ini. Is that all you would need to do or am I simplifying it a little
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes that's all that's required.

alright then, if I do need to change the ini file, what do I do to change it?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Change any reference to 'mediavps' to 'mediavps_3612' or 'mediavps_2014'. Make sure the file actually saves as a .ini, not a txt file.

I do wish this had been left to the side until you were actually in the game, playing and having fun, since there are loads of other mods to try and this could just lead to another spiral of troubleshooting.

right, I have a bad tendency to ask way too many questions, sorry about that, however, with the full set of VPs, the basic freespace 2 campaign is working with all the sexy looks that I have dreamed of having back, that is SUCH a huge relief in and of itself.

Oh, by the way, I'm not sure what I did, but for some reason, I have this text showing the FPS and a lot of other data related to the graphics that are currently happening in game, how do I take that off of the screen? I have no idea what displays that
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:56:38 am by PhoenixE01 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
right, I have a bad tendency to ask way too many questions, sorry about that
No need to apologize; this kind of feedback from new users is actually really helpful for pointing out bumps in the install process that need smoothed over.

however, with the full set of VPs, the basic freespace 2 campaign is working with all the sexy looks that I have dreamed of having back, that is SUCH a huge relief in and of itself.
And now you get to play a shinier version of Freespace 2! I'm glad to hear things are working for you now.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
right, I have a bad tendency to ask way too many questions, sorry about that, however, with the full set of VPs, the basic freespace 2 campaign is working with all the sexy looks that I have dreamed of having back, that is SUCH a huge relief in and of itself.

Oh, by the way, I'm not sure what I did, but for some reason, I have this text showing the FPS and a lot of other data related to the graphics that are currently happening in game, how do I take that off of the screen? I have no idea what displays that

Sounds like you're playing in a debug build. Switch back to a release build (doesn't have 'd' or 'debug' on the end of the filename).

It was actually more my fault for bringing up Transcend again and what I had noticed with the VPs than you.
Glad you got it working and enjoy  :yes:
As for the text, your running a debug build i believe.
Edit: Battuta just beat me to answering
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

alright then, I'll see if any other mods work, if I have any complications, I'll let you know, note, when I asked about the ini files, it was only for if it would be necessary, I haven't even touched them yet and it seems like I don't need to at all. thanks again

Well, blue planet crashed and Trancend still doesn't work with the sexy graphics. that's a bit unfortunate.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, blue planet crashed and Trancend still doesn't work with the sexy graphics. that's a bit unfortunate.

Yes, if all you have is the MediaVPs_2014 installed, they won't work - unless you open the mod.ini files and change all references to 'mediavps' and 'mediavps_3612' to 'mediavps_2014'.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well, blue planet crashed
You will need the Compatibility Package; this step will become unnecessary with the next release of Blue Planet.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

alright then, i'll get this compatibility pack. thanks for that , I'll remove the 2014 VPs and try blue planet with the previous versions. Also I switched to the non debug version and the FPS and other game data is still showing for some reason. that's kinda weird.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, don't remove the 2014 VPs! You should keep them in the mediavps_2014 folder. Just adjust mod.ini files to point to that folder.

Can you post a screenshot of all the erroneous data?

two things....one, I have no idea where the mod.ini files are, and two....forgive me for this question but what is "erroneous data"? damn I hate not knowing enough about this stuff...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
By 'erroneous data' I just mean all the stuff showing up on your screen. That really shouldn't be present in a release build. You sure you've selected a build that doesn't contain the word DEBUG?

mod.ini files are located in each mod folder. If you don't want to edit them, you can also install the 3.6.12 MediaVPs.

ok, here's the screenshot of the in game data, now I've found the mod.ini file, I have it open but I don't know what to do to change it.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
All that text is from enabling this option in the launcher: "Profile engine subsystems" - you want to disable that option :)

Also, it looks like you have 640x480 set as your resolution, you should probably increase that to something closer to your monitors native resolution.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

thanks for that and I had to set it to a smaller resolution so that I could screenshot it, otherwise, I wasn't able to click the "commit" button in the windowed mode of the game. whatever the case, I'll be able to play the freespace 2 campaign until I can figure out how to make sure the mod.ini file saves as a .ini.....and figure out what references to change. strange thing is, the top part of it actually is listed as MediaVPs 2014. in fact, I'll just copy what it looks like here, assuming what i'm looking at really is the mod.ini file's contents.

[launcher]
modname      = MediaVPs 2014;
image255x112 = FSU-MVP.bmp;
image182x80  = FSU-MVP_small.bmp;
infotext     = Freespace II - SVN MediaVPs;
website      = http://www.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums;
mantis        = http://www.hard-light.net/mantis;