Author Topic: Voice Acting Call Part 2 *CLOSED*  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Tnadz

Re: Voice Acting Call Part 2
Anything in mind for the aliens as far as voice type/register?  Basic vs ...whatever language?

Ewok?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Are you gonna make "Yub, yub!" a battle cry? :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Ewok might be getting a little too far into the silly squadron territory, but I'd like to have a Sullustan and some Huttese speakers. If we get those film-recognizable ones in we can go further afield and do Bocce or something else that's completely EU. Wookie languages and other things that aren't done with human voices are also welcome if anyone can cobble up enough good sounds to fill out a persona.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Wouldn't Wookiees be weird, considering they're fairly massive? Lowbacca in the EU is one hell of an anomaly, IIRC.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
A wookie in an A-wing would be amusing, but personas can be assigned to ships with roomier cockpits as well. We have the Falcon in game, so a wookie persona could let people do Chewie missions.

CHEWIEEEEEEEE

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I think a Wookie in an A-Wing would be more akin to something out of Doctor Strangelove. Imagine a Wookiee riding an A-Wing like an armed crotch rocket. :P

Offline DhruvK

Extra credit for sounding British when doing the voice of any Imp Officer?

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
There are plenty of old and new world accents represented in the Imperial forces in the movies so we aren't making any effort to do a predominantly British Empire, but it certainly won't count against you!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Not all Imperial officers came from Coruscant or Coruscant-like worlds that emulated it, which is where the British sounding accent came from (in universe it's an upper-class Coruscanti accent). You've got officers from rustic Agamar, fast and loose Corellia, stuff like that.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
That brings up an interesting question - are all Imperial pilots officers?  That's how the US currently does it but it hasn't always been that way, especially in wartime.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The US military has not and will never allow an enlisted person to pilot combat aircraft. It's officers only. There have been a few programs where they let NCOs fly trainer, propeller aircraft with instructors in the seat behind them.

Same goes for the Imps. I've never seen a source that suggested an enlisted man was flying a TIE craft.

Edited because I completely misread the intent of your post.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:53:49 pm by Cobra »

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
The US military has not and will never allow an enlisted person to pilot combat aircraft. It's officers only. There have been a few programs where they let NCOs fly trainer, propeller aircraft with instructors in the seat behind them.

Same goes for the Imps. I've never seen a source that suggested an enlisted man was flying a TIE craft.

Edited because I completely misread the intent of your post.

Ah, you know what?  You're right.  I was thinking about how in WWII they would allow Enlisted men to enter into pilot training, but if they passed they were made a Flight Officer before entering combat.  There's been a few other instances of non-commissioned officers or warrant officers being pilots but the idea is sound.  Yeah, I'd say that following that basic guideline, all Imperial pilots should be officers of some sort.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Warrant officers are helicopter pilots for the US Army and Air Force. It's possible for an enlisted person to get a commission by way of flight school, but it's incredibly rare and EXTREMELY competitive. Something like 20 enlisted personnel even enter the academy, and most of them probably wash out.

But yeah, enlisted personnel haven't trained on aircraft since WW2.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Note, though, this is an US thing (there was something called "flying enlisted program", but I think it was a failure). British have such thing as "Flight Sergeant", and other nation using a similar rank system sometimes also have it. Imperial organization, as usually presented in EU, is weird. It seems to be something between USN, RAF and Napoleonic Grand Army rank system. That said, there's hardly any solid canon on those.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Yep.  To be honest, this is a really pointless little detail of minutia that will likely never come up anywhere...ever...although it could be useful just to have some measure of consistency in Imperial campaign dialogue.

I was talking to Zookeeper and he was mentioning that from his point of view it doesn't seem right that every single little cannon fodder TIE pilot should be an officer, and that it seemed like a waste of training.  I guess my perspective is that for one it still takes a significant amount of time to learn how to operate and fly a spacecraft compared to say, pick up a rifle and start shooting.  Even then, I think their rank of "officer" would be more of a formality where they got their rank because they're pilots, not necessarily because they take officers and make them pilots.

Of course we're talking about an Empire of countless planets to pull cadets from, so maybe a couple of hundred "flight officers" per Star Destroyer isn't really even that far-fetched.  For instance, even Luke wanted to go to the Academy (supposedly to become a pilot) before he got caught up in the rebellion.  If they're taking kids from backwater planets like Tatooine through an actual officer's academy, why not every other TIE pilot?

(thanks to Niffiwan for ideas in IRC)

I was always under the impression the masses of TIE pilots were clones who instead of being trained to become a storm-trooper, they were trained to be a pilot. Which can explain why they are cannon fodder.
Then you got the guys like the main character from TIE Fighter who enlist who I imagine would be officers.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
They were until the Emperor did away with clones. Biggs Darklighter, Hobbie Klivan, Tycho Celchu... They were all flight officers of the Empire that later defected to the Rebel Alliance.

The Empire spanned millions of worlds and trillions upon trillions of beings. Their propoganda and conscriptions were effective. There were few pure clone trooper squads left, the 501st being one of them. The stormtrooper ranks were in the millions, those many millions being enlisted men and sometimes women. TIE pilots weren't as numerous, but you get the idea. And Star Destroyers carried 72 TIEs. There were thousands of Star Destroyers.

I went off on a tangent. Established lore says clones were largely done away with prior to the Battle of Yavin.

Well there you go, you learn something new everyday.
Apologies too for sending this further Off topic.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, if you don't read the early books, you wouldn't know. The stuff today? ...ugh.

Then you got the guys like the main character from TIE Fighter who enlist who I imagine would be officers.

Yes, I also recall Maarek Stele being promoted to flight officer after a few missions (or even after training) in the game itself. I'm not sure about "The Stele Chronicles" and the Strategy Guide though.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee