Author Topic: What are your favorite examples of excellent mission design?  (Read 8278 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: What are your favorite examples of excellent mission design?
Are cutscenes a valid option?

I think yes, they ARE missions after all.
Well, they're certainly mission files. While they are examples of excellent FREDing, I'm not sure "mission design" is the right term when the experience is non-interactive.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Practically every mission of the Antagonist. I think I don't even need to elaborate much. Please, bigchunk1, would you consider adding it to the FSO installer :) ?

------

But if I were to select only one mission, that would undoubtedly be "Her finest hour" from BP2: Wih - Act 3. Originally I kind of disliked that mission because I always ended up with 100 % casualties, but now that I have practiced, I can really orchestrate the whole mission from beginning to the end with only a couple of friendly ships getting destroyed. And when you succeed in this - without even calling Solaris to help - you just feel IMMENSELY satisfied. This mission rewards good wingman commanding better than anything else. The soundtrack is also my favorite, it just fits there 100%.

The only thing that kinda takes some fun away from "Her Finest Hour" is the annoying script-based microlag, that doesn't happen in any other FSO mission that I have seen.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The only thing that kinda takes some fun away from "Her Finest Hour" is the annoying script-based microlag, that doesn't happen in any other FSO mission that I have seen.
I didn't think Her Finest Hour used nearly as much scripting as Eyes In The Storm... all the major mechanics are done with SEXPs.

You might be experiencing lag from all the event logging in that mission, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
To try and go somewhere that hasn't been mentioned yet, Unification War has some missions where you're basically driving a fleet through these huge depots with stations, trying to do as much damage as you can as you punch through. It's quite a spectacle. I don't remember it particularly well, it was a long time ago, but the mod is getting some sort of revamp in the near future, so could be well worth checking out.

I agree, those were good. And yes, the revamp is getting near finished...  ;7
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
One of the reasons U War died is that the team hated our own missions and couldn't stand playing them.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
One of the reasons U War died is that the team hated our own missions and couldn't stand playing them.

???

That's not the impression I've had at all. At any rate it's certainly not dead  :)
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The late campaign missions were long and the flight model led to a lot of instant death in minute 12. This made iterative design very difficult. When I was brought in to help close the campaign after most of the team had left I ended up cheating through many of them out of boredom.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Well, let's just say we've got something to improve on then. As one of the main testers currently on the project I can say firsthand that some missions have become vastly better over the past six months. In fact we're making daily progress, which certainly qualifies the project as alive.

No need to take my word for it though, soon you'll be able to see for yourself. :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Add top hats. They make everything better,
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CT27

I'd also like to add "Destiny Of Peace" from the campaign Destiny Of Peace.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Yeah, Destiny of Peace was cool. It was a fairly fun battle, made out of the limited elements available to FS1 retail FREDders. Even today, it still holds up fairly well.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Hmmn, if its FSOpen specifically then I'd say journey of 10,000 miles and forced entry or whatnot from BP.
Those are the two missions that come to mind that I enjoyed.

Offline CT27

Yeah, Destiny of Peace was cool. It was a fairly fun battle, made out of the limited elements available to FS1 retail FREDders. Even today, it still holds up fairly well.

Have you played the FSPort version of this campaign?  It's now voice acted.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
That's the version I played.

And Forced Entry was a pretty cool example of mission design. Rockin' soundtrack, and a varied tactical challenge that you could solve with different equipment loadouts and tactics.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Practically every mission of the Antagonist. I think I don't even need to elaborate much. Please, bigchunk1, would you consider adding it to the FSO installer :) ?

I have 0 say over what goes into the installer. Thanks for the compliment though.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, you do! Mod creators need to submit their content to the installer.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
woops
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CT27

It certainly had its share of technical issues, but two great missions from the campaign "The Aftermath" were:

"Vengeance At Adhara"

"The Sicilian Defense"