Author Topic: Nightly (Windows): 19 Jun 2014 - Revision 10828  (Read 3191 times)

Offline SirKnightly

• George or Keira?
Nightly (Windows): 19 Jun 2014 - Revision 10828
Here is the nightly for Windows on 19 Jun 2014 - Revision 10828

Group: Standard
fso_Standard_20140619_r10828.7z
MD5Sum

Group: NO-SSE
fso_NO-SSE_20140619_r10828.7z
MD5Sum

Group: SSE
fso_SSE_20140619_r10828.7z
MD5Sum

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r10825 | The_E | 2014-06-18 11:08:17 -0500 (Wed, 18 Jun 2014) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/fred2/fredrender.cpp
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/fred2/management.cpp

Fix for Mantis 3016 part 2 (Make FRED respect the Briefing Window FOV setting in game_settings.tbl

r10826 | m_m | 2014-06-18 11:38:24 -0500 (Wed, 18 Jun 2014) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/ship/ship.cpp

Fix for Mantis 3063: Animation code-related sound entries doesn't use new sound format
r10827 | Zacam | 2014-06-19 01:34:12 -0500 (Thu, 19 Jun 2014) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/menuui/techmenu.cpp

Follow-up to r10793, missed a spot of [more]
r10828 | niffiwan | 2014-06-19 04:24:04 -0500 (Thu, 19 Jun 2014) | 5 lines
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/nebula/neblightning.cpp
   M /trunk/fs2_open/code/render/3dmath.cpp

Fix mantis 2945 (From MageKing17)

Don't set PF_PROJECTED in g3_transfer_vertex() as it's not projecting
the vertex
Note: displaying nebula emp/lightning used to depend on unitialised data!

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Nightly (Windows): 19 Jun 2014 - Revision 10828
speaking of nebula lightning, is it possible to reprogram a generating algorithm that has more detailed quality than the current one? Pretty sure that if the vertex quality of the lightning is ramped up that would not even pose a problem in fps...

I have no knowledge of c++ but I do a lot of these algorithms in archicad's gpl for object generation. If someone could lend me the algorithm itself, I could take a look at it.

Yo, the nebula lightning in this build r10828 seems to create an aggressive white flash that covers the entire screen regardless whether player is looking directly at a lightning or not. It gets very hard on the eyes after a while. I would rather leave this new "flash" as an optional launch parameter.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yo, the nebula lightning in this build r10828 seems to create an aggressive white flash that covers the entire screen regardless whether player is looking directly at a lightning or not. It gets very hard on the eyes after a while. I would rather leave this new "flash" as an optional launch parameter.
Compare to retail; should be the original behavior.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well, it seems FSO has had the "flashless" lightnings so long that I didn't even remember that they should have flashes. Nevertheless, gameplay-wise those flashes are a bit irritating. Would it be possible to make them optional?

EDIT: To be clear though, I'm fine with those EMP white flashes that make the HUD go all jumpy. Here is the difference is between r10824 and r10828:

R10824 = Only EMP lightnings cause a white flash. This is manageable since EMP lightning missions are very rare and NOT EVERY lightning cause an EMP effect.
R10828 = Literally every lightning in nebula missions causes a white flash. Try "Argonautica" for example, it doesn't even have EMP lightnings, but those white flashes still appear numerous.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:16:17 pm by Lykurgos88 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Well, it seems FSO has had the "flashless" lightnings so long that I didn't even remember that they should have flashes. Nevertheless, gameplay-wise those flashes are a bit irritating. Would it be possible to make them optional?

EDIT: To be clear though, I'm fine with those EMP white flashes that make the HUD go all jumpy. Here is the difference is between r10824 and r10828:

R10824 = Only EMP lightnings cause a white flash. This is manageable since EMP lightning missions are very rare and NOT EVERY lightning cause an EMP effect.
R10828 = Literally every lightning in nebula missions causes a white flash. Try "Argonautica" for example, it doesn't even have EMP lightnings, but those white flashes still appear numerous.
In point of fact, all lightning causes a flash effect; in fact, the code doesn't even allow the lightning sound effects to play if the screen doesn't flash! The intensity of the flash is based on the proximity of the lightning bolt to the center of the screen; before r10828, there was a bug with the code that calculated the screen location, so the x and y coordinates it used to decide the intensity of the flash were based on uninitialized junk data. Now they're actually projecting properly, so the flashes are more noticeable.

In fact, the flash from the EMP effect is a separate flash from the lightning effect (although, like the sound effects, EMP from lightning won't occur if the lightning flash didn't happen), and is a fixed intensity, which is why it was much more noticeable than the (bugged) lightning flash in earlier builds.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

in fact, the code doesn't even allow the lightning sound effects to play if the screen doesn't flash!

Right, that is a bit problematic if one wants to maintain the sounds but not the flashes. Oh well, maybe this was just wishful thinking =/

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
in fact, the code doesn't even allow the lightning sound effects to play if the screen doesn't flash!

Right, that is a bit problematic if one wants to maintain the sounds but not the flashes. Oh well, maybe this was just wishful thinking =/
The code could probably use some rationalizing; I've got a patch in code review to reduce the intensity of the flash based on how far away from the screen it is, which should reduce the incessant nature of the screen flashing.

EDIT: In the process of trying to make that patch, I found that there is an actual bug here. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:43:07 am by AdmiralRalwood »

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so