Author Topic: SOLVED: MediaVPs 2014 causes crash upon entering weapons loadout  (Read 3613 times)

Offline cluckay

SOLVED: MediaVPs 2014 causes crash upon entering weapons loadout
Whenever I enter the weapons selection screen before a mission, FreeSpace 2 will crash. Since I have to go to the task manager to end the process in order to close, I can't get an error log, even when using the debug file. I used the 5.5g version of the launcher and the 3_7_2_RC3 version of FreeSpace Open. However, MediaVPs 3.6.12 works without any issues

EDIT: found the log file

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:30:46 pm by cluckay »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: MediaVPs 2014 causes crash upon entering weapons loadout
The fs2_open.log file should always write. Please grab it and post it up!

Offline cluckay

The fs2_open.log file should always write. Please grab it and post it up!
Looked through my install directory 4 times by now, no "fs2_open.log" file exists.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Make sure you're launching a debug build. If you are, navigate to [your FS2 dir]/data and you'll find it.

Complete instructions here: (Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
EDIT: of course, as mentioned above, check your fs2dir\data directory first.

Is your install directory in program files? You might need to check in the VirtualStore folder in your user profile directory,  iirc.
Blog post explaining :

http://portableapps.com/node/35519
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:41:21 pm by jr2 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
i.e. the location in yellow below.

*NOTE FOR PEOPLE USING WINDOWS VISTA OR 7:
If you installed FS2 to C:\Program Files\ (or C:\Program Files (x86)\ on 64-bit versions of Windows), the log file will not be in FS2\data\, but rather in a "virtualized" folder. This can be found by either going to the data folder, and clicking on the "Compatibility Files" button in the Explorer window, or by manually navigating to C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\<Rest of the path to your FS2 directory>\data
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ooh, yes, forgot about that.

Offline cluckay

found the log in the /data/ directory

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1366x768 with 32-bit color...
  Initializing WGL...
  Requested WGL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1
  Actual WGL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1
  OpenGL Vendor    : Intel
  OpenGL Renderer  : Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000
  OpenGL Version   : 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.3517

Your video card looks a bit old and older Intel cards have some issues with OpenGL support.  Try adding this command line parameter in your launcher:

Troubleshoot -> Disable GLSL (shader) support  (aka -no_glsl)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline cluckay

Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1366x768 with 32-bit color...
  Initializing WGL...
  Requested WGL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1
  Actual WGL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1
  OpenGL Vendor    : Intel
  OpenGL Renderer  : Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000
  OpenGL Version   : 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.3517

Your video card looks a bit old and older Intel cards have some issues with OpenGL support.  Try adding this command line parameter in your launcher:

Troubleshoot -> Disable GLSL (shader) support  (aka -no_glsl)

I played through the mission "Straight, No Chaser" with no problems until the end when the multiple Juggernauts jumped in. For whatever reason, the beam cannons would render at the 4 corners of my screen, but disappear when when I turn around to check if a Sathanas actually did jump behind me. I then suddenly got clipped INSIDE of a Sathanas.

EDIT: game also runs at ludicrous speed at 70+ FPS, a problem I didn't have with 3.62.2
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:42:06 pm by cluckay »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I've done that once a along time ago, lol. (clipped inside a Sath).

Try debug version to that point and post the log?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Also, a fix for some nebula occlusion/clipping issues has been added to the code after 3.7.2RC3 was released - that might explain not seeing the Sath when you turned around.

[EDIT: game also runs at ludicrous speed at 70+ FPS, a problem I didn't have with 3.62.2

I presume you meant with 3.6.12?  You may have accidentally activated time-compression, try pressing < (i.e. SHIFT-COMMA) to reduce it back to normal.  Or, if its just the fps counter saying 70+ then don't worry about it unless you're also getting screen tearing and you're bothered by it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:46:15 pm by niffiwan »
----
----

Offline cluckay

I've done that once a along time ago, lol. (clipped inside a Sath).

Try debug version to that point and post the log?
I had a spike of the increased speed during "Straight, But No Chaser" @ 30FPS before getting killed by the 2nd cruiser. Speed returned to normal after restarting. Its in this log.