Author Topic: Twisted Infinities and the Loss of F2S  (Read 11510 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Twisted Infinities and the Loss of F2S
At the time of writing, the Freespace 2 sector, and indeed the entire sectorgame network is down, as it has been for the past 2 or 3 weeks. A few weeks before it wen't down, work began on a campaign called Twisted Infinities, which had considerable community support and, despite only being active for a less than a month produced 5 potential new weapons, 3 potential new ships, a strong, intelligent storyline, a professional website, and a shyte load of willing staff from Moders to Fredders to source coders. Unfortunately, without F2S, we haven't been able to do any work, as we haven't been able to talk to each other. Don't worry though - this isn't TIs obituary. I've spoken to Flipside and neither of us has any intention of abandoning the campaign. What we did was set a date for our official abandonment of F2S as a lost site. That date is tomorrow. So, by local midnight tomorrow, unless F2S is back up, or Hunter has told someone something, TI will be leaving F2S, whether we apply here or set up shop elsewhere is a question for the future. The purpose of this thread is to contact as many of the former TI team, whether that means someone who'd pledged their support and skills but never actually recieved assignments or submitted ships, or people who'd already begun work. If you're still interested, and you've found your way to HLP, either reply here, PM me, or Email me at [email protected]. Those of you who I can contact will recieve Emails or PMs or something to give you a few more details about the probable move.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh the irony. A community project that no longer has it's community. I`m glad to see TI didn`t die though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yeah, It's rather humorous. Obviously we can't continue in the originally planned way, but it seemed a shame to waste what we had, particularly in view of the nature of the problem - it's weird but despite the loss of the community, it didn't directly hurt the campaign - it's not as if half the staff up and left, or the HDs containg most of the files simultaneously self destructed. Everyone who we were supposed to be creating it for still exists after all, and presumably still plays FS. Really, finishing the community project is one of the best tributes to the community I can think of.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I fully agree. I`d help but I`m snowed under as it is. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Oh well - hopefully we won't be lacking for staff anyway - I don't know if you ever read it, but I know the 'Post your skills here' thread ran over 4 pages, and at least half of those were actually on topic :).
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
What's going on over there? I have not been able to access the F2S website for a while either, so I was thinking that you guys might have moved or something.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Noone's quite sure what's going on. The forums were going really slow for a week or so, then the site just stopped working. Hunter says he has no idea what's going on :(.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman

To the officers and crew of the GTD Infinities:
The Shivans have gone. We have halted the advance of our great war enemies once again. However, we have paid a heavy price.
No one knows why or how the Shivans destroyed the F2S.
From our journey into hell, we return with a gift. The ability to construct subpspace portals, and perhaps one day return to Sol... or even F2S.

*fires 21 beam cannon salute*
Atten-tion!
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
i was there and before the complete death of the server, i asked hunter why f2s was being really slow. he told me that they had had their bandwith restricted and planned to have it fixed in two days. that two days was about 2 months ago.
i dunno much about web stuff, so i don't know if restricted bandwidth can be fatal to a server.
and the main one BW started was over 11 pages. the private part was also pretty big. (was part of the story developers. check siggy, although i may have to change it now.)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
i dunno much about web stuff, so i don't know if restricted bandwidth can be fatal to a server.

:lol: Not really. Bandwidth is how much you're able to transfer or allowed to transfer over the internet, and for people who provide web solutions, it's basically a way to charge for the service and keep their equipment running by using the $ you pay them to pay for maintenance fees, electricity, water for the employees' coffee-much the fees you pay for cable TV. You pay for them to broadcast the content to you, but if you go for 32 days without paying, it's probably not going to cause a catastrophe :D

Still, I get this image of an ISP tech glancing at a display then screaming "It's reached the 9,995 GB mark! Turn it off! Turn it OFFFF!!" :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 04:17:26 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, it looks like Hunter got eaten alive, I've even tried ICQing him, so no word yet on the return of F2S.
I'm still keen as ever for TI to get off the ground, it's got some pretty good possibilities :)
Ok, I finally remembered my password, but I miss my Avatar :(

Flipside

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

:lol: Not really. Bandwidth is how much you're able to transfer or allowed to transfer over the internet, and for people who provide web solutions, it's basically a way to charge for the service and keep their equipment running by using the $ you pay them to pay for maintenance fees, electricity, water for the employees' coffee-much the fees you pay for cable TV. You pay for them to broadcast the content to you, but if you go for 32 days without paying, it's probably not going to cause a catastrophe :D

Still, I get this image of an ISP tech glancing at a display then screaming "It's reached the 9,995 GB mark! Turn it off! Turn it OFFFF!!" :D

oh, okay thanks. :D
and siggy changed :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hey, Flipsides here. Now you can start showing off the new ships you've been doing to everyone, instead of just me :).
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Freespace 2 Sector undergoing move! Posted by Shrike at 23:19 PST
Just got an email from Hunter of FS2 Sector, their host Sectorgames are moving ISPs and they are awaiting the completion of that messy business. FS2S should be back online by the end of the month, so if you've been missing them, be patient, they'll be back soon.

YES! :wakka: finaly :D some news :)

well, TI needs a new home till then. (then i can change the siggy again :) )
Twisted Infinities

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hmm - I think we can wait til the end fo the month - he could of at least told us about it:doubt:. But still :) :D :yes: :yes2:
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
Hello, this is Hunter. I have been unable to reach anyone - With five e-mail accounts out of service I cannot receive anything that anyone is sending me or do anything in-particular. I also cannot find your ICQ number, as it is not listed on my contact lists, please re-add me. Well, as you can see, we are working to get the site back running again - I can assure you I'm as annoyed as you are about this. I keep getting told again and again it's going to be sorted, but now we have a pretty firm date for end of the month. Let's hope they stick to that, and sort it out. Currently all data is backed up, although you may need to re-upload it when the FTP is restored. This certainly has been a VERY big blow to Freespace 2 Sector...

Regards,
Hunter
sectorgame
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, we know now, so thanks Hunter :). And yes, it's been a major blow, particularly since a lot of only F2Sers may think it'sgone for good (hell, I did until a few hours ago), and since they wont check anywhere else...

Anyway, the TI crew will be back at F2S as soon as F2S is back up - and we will have a lot of stuff to show when we do get back (Flipside and VA have been working overtime on mods :) )
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
We're also getting more bandwidth and extra storage because of this pretty poor service. So that will be a bonus alongside our new ISP (which is much faster, btw ;)).
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL After the last few weeks of the SectorGame Empire, we could send hand written post to each other and it would have been faster ;)

Glad to hear your coming back! We'll have to try and convince more people from HLP to visit F2S every so often (though, of course, don't stop visiting here, or they'll never forgive me)

Flipside

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Welcome to the new world Pilots, get ready for the fight of your life!

- Admiral Wolf, Maelstrom (No this isn't a p1mp, I just thot this was appropriate)
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14