Author Topic: GOG Adds movies  (Read 1562 times)

https://www.gog.com/movies##sort=bestselling&page=1

The movies they have on there are now are primarily video-game or internet-related documentaries. If you haven't seen Indie Game the Movie, and some of the others I would suggest that they're well worth checking out.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: GOG Adds movies (and removes games)
On a related note, they are about to remove several games from their catalog, but have those games on sale: http://www.gog.com/news/last_chance_special
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Lorric

Re: GOG Adds movies (and removes games)
Summoner for 89p...

I imagine that will be pretty dated by today's standards but I enjoyed playing it and would recommend it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The movies they have so far aren't very interesting, but there's a lot of potential there.  As for the removed games, that always sucks.  Are there any in particular that are worth going for?  I might try to grab Penumbra Overture, since it's on my wishlist and far less than buying them on Steam right now.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
red faction/ RF2 for historical value if you haven't yet. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Did they ever state the reason why they're removing the games from their catalogue? Cause if they are still available for download (for the people who already bought them) it can't just be that they want to clear some server space / reduce bandwidth usage.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Expiring contracts and/or distribution rights changing hands, I'd imagine.  For example, Fallout 1 & 2 were removed, when the distribution rights for those two defaulted to Bethesda, who aren't onboard the DRM-free train yet.  Going through the titles being removed this time, all of them are under the publisher Nordic Games, so I imagine that company has been acquired by someone who doesn't want to use GoG for distribution.

GoG won't come right out and say that, because they don't want to risk burning bridges with possible future business partners.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
In this case, the implication seems to be that it may have more to do with regional pricing issues.  When GOG first announced the addition of regional pricing for select titles a few months back, there was a pretty big ****storm from users in many countries, and they backed off apologetically a bit and offered something like coupons as recompense.  With this new site design, they've announced something called "Fair Price Package," where they're refunding the difference (if any) between a title's US price and its price in some other region in the form of wallet funds.  Basically they wind up eating this expense, but I guess they figure it's worth it to maintain customer loyalty.  From what people have shared, there are some truly egregious international mark-ups on a select few titles, and the assumption seems to be that Nordic may not have been willing to stick with the standard equal international cost for their older titles, which GOG has tried to maintain.  I think this does seem pretty likely, especially since up until the very recent past, Nordic was publicly enthusiastic about working with GOG now and in the future.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
red faction/ RF2 for historical value if you haven't yet. 
But definitely not for quality.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have both of those on Steam, actually.  The original was kind of a poor man's Half-Life, but it was still enjoyable.  The second...not so much.