Author Topic: Steam announces it will soon adopt CAD; Canadians cry  (Read 2313 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Steam announces it will soon adopt CAD; Canadians cry
...because if valve adopts the usual regional pricing bull****, they will immediately hike the prices in Canadian dollars well beyond the USD exchange rate conversion.  That's standard operating procedure for book, game, electronic, and other cross-border sales of ordinary commodities.

No, Valve, adoption of our currency is not welcomed as good news.  Sigh.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Steam announces it will soon adopt CAD; Canadians cry
Well I'm sure GOG are happy to hear it. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

Commie sleazy bunch wanted good old capitalist dirty money huh? :D

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Sounds a lot like the Australia Tax. This has been a big issue here for the last year or two, lots of government attention and major consumer groups/government appointed panels starting to make noise about it - and make legally grey recommendations like VPNs and other methods to circumvent geoblocking/price discrimination online.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

I'd happily buy games from GoG, if they sold the games that I usually buy on Steam.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Luis Dias

dogecoin ftw

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

I'd happily buy games from GoG, if they sold the games that I usually buy on Steam.

There are a few games that are on both (Freespace for example). They've made it even easier to decide who to choose now.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ironically GOG's been getting a bunch of flak themselves (deserved or not I really can't say) over some of their recent local-currency implementation.  There really is absolutely no reason someone in another country should pay more for the same digital product which costs absolutely nothing to ship.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
From what I've seen, it's only for games where the publisher is insisting on this kind of bull****. Whenever possible, they try to avoid it.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I'm sure it costs them more to send you those 1's and 0's through a wire to your country than to another! :rolleyes:
Most region-based discriminatory practices are really stupid, especially over the internet where the only difference you can tell is the bunch of numbers indicating where said customer is *probably* coming from...

Regional pricing, region locking, and release-date differences can go to hell along with the archaic publishers that are still living in the paper age.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've been actually able to pay less for some of the Bohemia Interactive stuff by paying in dollars instead of euros, just because I selected a different currency (nobody cares about my actual, worthless, currency, Polish Zloty, so I can't say how it compares to what I "should" have paid). Ain't no rule saying I can't do this, unlike with Steam. Agreed, this is stupid. They should have the same price for every title, and no regional BS. Also, knock it off with forced localization. Except for The Witcher, Polish version of anything will usually suck, c.f. "Good speed, pilot." line from the FS2 ending. I can't imagine other translations fare a lot better.

Offline Axem

Well the converted prices are up and they're not actually too bad.

Goat Simulator was $9.99 USD, its now $10.99 CAD. And looking at today's exchange rate, $9.99 USD = $11.16 CAD, so hey its $0.17 cheaper now!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Well the converted prices are up and they're not actually too bad.

Goat Simulator was $9.99 USD, its now $10.99 CAD. And looking at today's exchange rate, $9.99 USD = $11.16 CAD, so hey its $0.17 cheaper now!

On the plus side, we can always double-check with Hola Unblocker too.  It works to switch to a US IP (I use it for TV content all the time, nice to see Steam does their localizations based on IP as well).