Author Topic: Engine and Flyby sounds dissappear  (Read 1270 times)

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Engine and Flyby sounds dissappear
Hi, recently i was installing from Scratch my PC, just the same setup to make a clean installation.

I noticed that inside some mods, i´m not sure if in all,  ( still testing ), the audio from the engines and fly-by are dissappear, i was installing the OS again just to be sure, trying with many "fs2_open" versions, different audio cards, etc...., but the problem still the same.
I have installed OpenAL....

Just i wanted to know if some knows something about this trouble, or if someone can point me in the right direction, i don´t know how to do it ...

Many thanks.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Engine and Flyby sounds dissappear
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
I hope is ok   :p

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well, nothing really jumps out at me, except possibly this:
Code: [Select]
MISSION LOAD: 'massive battle'
Not really the best mission for testing to see if you're having sound issues. Does this problem happen during the actual FS2 campaign? If so, would it be possible to record the problem (either audio-only or audio+video, whichever you prefer, via your preferred recording software) so we can hear what's going wrong?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Sorry about the mission choice, i cannot load some of the mods with the DEBUG exe, give me many errors and can´t start, is the reason why i use the Massive Battle.

I wanted to ask first, just to know if is a known problem, because i loose many time testing and installing the pc.
So i want to make a good video with the issue and I'll post when Is ready...
Also i will try to install  everything again on a different pc...

Thanks...

Offline Yarn

Did you install OpenAL Soft by any chance? If so, where did you install it?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
First i was installing "OpenAL.exe", like many times i did.... ( But not "openal-soft-1.15.1-bin"), I've never needed.
I have a small folder with the software needed for FSO, i was installing from Scratch many times without problems.

Is the reason why i ask, because i saw something strange with the sound, that never happened before.
And i don´t know what happens because the setup is the same...

I want to install it on a different pc using the same software, because i cannot do more test in this pc, always have same problem.
Anyway, thanks for the attemption, let´s fight with drivers   ;)

Offline Yarn

So you didn't install OpenAL Soft, if I understood you correctly. What happens if you change the audio device to Generic Software (other than losing surround sound)?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Now is working good   :p, i really don´t know finally was the solution, because i was trying many things   :banghead:

Last things i do was install openalsoft, that i never needed with same equipment, and also reinstalling OpenAL drivers.

I have 3 different audio cards on the system, one is on the motherboard, the second one i bought for gamming, and another for sound recording, may be was some conflict between drivers.

Anyway, problem solved, thanks