Author Topic: Ubuntu 14.10  (Read 963 times)

Offline Erroll

Hi,

I am currently running Ubuntu 14.10

I managed to get everything ready to go up until I press play on wsxlauncher. It errors out with:

"FS Open exited with a status of 255"

My thought is that the executable is compiled for an older version of Ubuntu (12 something, yes?). Is there any source I can recompile?

I am running with AMD graphics. Open AL seems ready to go. I get some weird resolutions to choose from but other than that everything seemed ok up until this point.

The main reason I installed Ubuntu was to run freespace. My joystick works poorly in windows and I want to see if it is improved in the linux port. Plus, its fun to try to make linux work! I have had a lot of fun.

Thanks!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you're using the exec's from the release thread, yes, they're compiled with 12.04 32bit.  It's the 32bit that's probably causing issues rather than the older version though.  You might be able to install the relevant 32bit libraries.  Otherwise you can download the source from the release thread, or from SVN, and compile it. If you have any issues, just post the details and someone will be able to help you out.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Erroll

I was successful, thanks for those links. The autoconfig thingy kept complaining about missing libraries I had to track down. It was like trying to leave for vacation with my kids. Eventually it compiled into 14.1

It may be worth considering distributing a 14.xxxx binary since thats what steam uses so a lot of linux gamers will be at that rev.

Unfortunately, the joystick control felt the same in linux as it did in windows. Still, I enjoyed the process of pulling it all together. Now that its working I don't know what to do with my time!