Author Topic: External Hardpoints  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
External Hardpoints
would it be posible to have missiles, rocket pods, and equipment that are hung from external hardpoints rather than the internal bays everyone has been used to. external hardpoints are not reloadable via suport ship and do not cary anywhere near the capacity of the internal bays. this would mainly be for pirate and other non-gtva craft.

this could be done by creating a bunch of named paths with names refering to which bank and the order in which missiles on that bank fire. the missiles would also need dockpoints. when you fire a missile, it drops (moves from point 0 to point 1) and then the engine starts (flame becomes unhidden and the glow point comes on) and the missile does its thing.

rocket pods and equipment would be a little different. rocket pods would have a model with a bunch of missile points and a dock. equipment, such as a laser designator would have a turret with a targeting laser on it (prety much automated). rocket pods and equipment have their own table entries indicating their capacities, their weapon load, and their weight.

missiles have a weight of 0, meaning you can stick em on anything, light rocket pods have the weight of 1, medium pods and light equepment have a weight of 2, really big pods and heavy equepment have the weight of 3, and really big things like criuse missiles have a weight of 4. ships with external hardpoints have a weight limit per pylon tag, you can load any weapon or piece of equipment, so long as it dont overload the limit.

also a meathod must exist that allows both banks and hardpoints, so that a standard gtva bomber can carry a big fat meson criuse missile, or your pegasus can cary a laser designator to spew subspace death on anything that dares potrude.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I don't think it would be... easy... to have actual missles and such on the models, how does this sound,
a model is defined for a weapon,
this weapon model is rendered at the firing point,
for missles every time a missle is fired one of the missle models are no longer rendered (wich would look like it was flying off the surface of the ship)

makeing a (destroiable) submodel (or subsystem) that if destroied would no longer alow missles to be fired from a specified bank would likely be easy
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

From a 3D programming sense, what you'd do is draw the models with a certain offset from the centre of the ship and have them inherit the matrices of that ship so that they would translate and rotate with it.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Darklight Conflict did that... I wonder if some code cannibalization is in order... I think the company that made it is gone anyway so it's worth a shot (minimal lawsuit danger)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
starlancer has that too.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The "dropping rockets" effect can be done by making the secondary firing point outside the hull of the model. That would be on a per-ship basis, though, not per-weapon.

As far as external weapons go, do you mean something along the lines of a FPS, where you can see what gun your enemy is using before they fire?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
he means if you have an helios, you can see it on hte model before it's fired, much like most flight sims.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i was thinking that you could jack some of the docking code to help do this when you start a mission you have a number of missiles "docked" with your ship. they undock when you fire them.

i am not having much luck with the code myself, i got it to compile but the new executeable breaks my mods. the game will run without the mods, but the second i tweak something in the tables it fails to start.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN